Becoming half the man I was: my weight loss experience

@tbp0701:

With your recent accomplishments still fresh in mind, I researched the Mediterranean Diet and located a website that will tailor your food preferences to a diet that will help one lose weight in 30 days.

However, because weight loss should theoretically be a lifestyle choice that will last many years, I've downloaded from the diet's website all 7 of their available PDF books (obviously, with a minor cost) that use my choice of foods with respect to the Mediterranean Diet.

The difficult part will be reviewing these PDFs and beginning with the diet. (A lot of the diet involves eating 4 to 5 times a day in much smaller portions, so most of the digested food is progressively used as energy, and not stored as fat)

Because the diet is designed for fast weight loss (a 30-day diet plan), it made much more sense to try to lose weight gradually, in 3 to 6 to 9 months time, rather than as a crash-style diet. Gradual weight loss is also healthier for your body, which can also strengthen and tighten the resultant loose outer skin as the weight comes off. A 30-day diet would cause flabby skin, with no under-supporting muscle to take its place.

I've not yet begun with the diet, but will be reading the PDFs so as to discern what meal choices will work more appropriately for gradual weight loss. My feeling is, that I don't wish to go "cold turkey" entirely with this diet, but ease into it, over the course of several weeks. Will revisit this post again soon and let you know how you've inspired me to make this work.

Man, that's awesome. From 440 to 215 is not easy. Great work.

I was 198 (I'm 5'10") at my Drs office Jan 3 2018. I was 146 June 15 2019. I maintain 140-145 now. Like you I changed my eating habits, low carbs, no processed sugar or foods. I was on a hybrid Keto diet for about 6 months, but started eating more carbs as my exercise and metabolism went up. I still will not eat fast food or processed sugar. Actually lost the desire for sweets. The key is to change your diet, not go on a diet.

A couple of things that I think really helped are: I only eat when I am actually hungry, not to a schedule, and pay attention to when I start to feel full (not stuffed) and stop eating. I have left a lot of food on the plate when I dine out (I travel a lot for work), and put less than I think I need to eat on the plate at home. Can always add more if I need more. The second is intermittent fasting 5 days a week, compressing all of my calorie consumption into 6-8 hour periods. I usually just don't eat breakfast, and stop eating after 7pm or so.

Of course exercise is the biggest factor, I try to ride my road bike at least 100 miles a week, and usually 150-200 during the warm months. The best part about getting physically fit is you will have a better mental state and far more energy. I got back on the mountain bike in March 2018 after about 2 years of not riding. Took me over an hour to ride a 6 mile loop that day, with many stops to breath. I could ride the same loop in under 30 minutes with out stopping by July.

@tbp0701:

With your recent accomplishments still fresh in mind, I researched the Mediterranean Diet and located a website that will tailor your food preferences to a diet that will help one lose weight in 30 days.

However, because weight loss should theoretically be a lifestyle choice that will last many years, I've downloaded from the diet's website all 7 of their available PDF books (obviously, with a minor cost) that use my choice of foods with respect to the Mediterranean Diet.

The difficult part will be reviewing these PDFs and beginning with the diet. (A lot of the diet involves eating 4 to 5 times a day in much smaller portions, so most of the digested food is progressively used as energy, and not stored as fat)

Because the diet is designed for fast weight loss (a 30-day diet plan), it made much more sense to try to lose weight gradually, in 3 to 6 to 9 months time, rather than as a crash-style diet. Gradual weight loss is also healthier for your body, which can also strengthen and tighten the resultant loose outer skin as the weight comes off. A 30-day diet would cause flabby skin, with no under-supporting muscle to take its place.

I've not yet begun with the diet, but will be reading the PDFs so as to discern what meal choices will work more appropriately for gradual weight loss. My feeling is, that I don't wish to go "cold turkey" entirely with this diet, but ease into it, over the course of several weeks. Will revisit this post again soon and let you know how you've inspired me to make this work.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with that plan. I didn't change meal times, look for a quick change, nor use any kind of tailored plans. Rather I started writing down everything, used this Mediterranean Foods shopping list as a guide, and focused on cooking more for myself.

I also made adjustments as I learned more about what I do well with and what I do not. like not eating red meat and having more locally-grown produce that may not be on the list.

I didn't go "cold turkey" on a lot of things but adjusted over time. (I did completely cut out some things, however, like fast food and white pasta. But I had a serious control problem with both).

And like you are doing, I focus on making healthier choices and adjusting for long term. The quick loss plans I tried in the past ultimately didn't work once I went off them.

I hope it works for you. Please let me know of the progress and if I can help.

Man, that's awesome. From 440 to 215 is not easy. Great work.

I was 198 (I'm 5'10") at my Drs office Jan 3 2018. I was 146 June 15 2019. I maintain 140-145 now. Like you I changed my eating habits, low carbs, no processed sugar or foods. I was on a hybrid Keto diet for about 6 months, but started eating more carbs as my exercise and metabolism went up. I still will not eat fast food or processed sugar. Actually lost the desire for sweets. The key is to change your diet, not go on a diet.

A couple of things that I think really helped are: I only eat when I am actually hungry, not to a schedule, and pay attention to when I start to feel full (not stuffed) and stop eating. I have left a lot of food on the plate when I dine out (I travel a lot for work), and put less than I think I need to eat on the plate at home. Can always add more if I need more. The second is intermittent fasting 5 days a week, compressing all of my calorie consumption into 6-8 hour periods. I usually just don't eat breakfast, and stop eating after 7pm or so.

Of course exercise is the biggest factor, I try to ride my road bike at least 100 miles a week, and usually 150-200 during the warm months. The best part about getting physically fit is you will have a better mental state and far more energy. I got back on the mountain bike in March 2018 after about 2 years of not riding. Took me over an hour to ride a 6 mile loop that day, with many stops to breath. I could ride the same loop in under 30 minutes with out stopping by July.

Congratulations and thank you! I used to travel quite, too, which could make things difficult. When possible I'd check menus online to find the best choices. On a couple occasions I suggested a different restaurant. When not meeting anyone else I'd find a grocery store, even if getting prepared foods, rather than a restaurant. That was all pre-pandemic, however.

I skipped breakfast for a bit but found I do better with it, especially before a bike ride. I found if I don't eat before a ride or other exercise I'll get very hungry and risk binging afterwards (a behavior I'll likely always have to guard against). But I'll be fine if I eat beforehand and, on longer rides, bring a piece of fruit or some nuts.

And ditto on the bike progress. I expected it to be rough at first, even though I'd been hiking and riding an exercise bike a lot. But I was surprised at how quickly I improved. The first time I attempted a couple steep hills, for instance, I wound up walking the bike a bit. I worked on climbing and longer but less steep hills for a few weeks, then managed to pedal all the way the steep ones. That felt good.

Man that's amazing!!! Congratulations on your success and amazing transformation.

I was diagnosed just last Friday with Type 2 Diabetes. I've always been around 6'1 180-190 lbs. With an "athletic build". Now, I'm around 220 LBS. Problem is I've always had a HELLA sweet tooth and I LOVE bread. So, I gotta cut out all the sugar PERIOD. I was completely blown away by the diagnosis (still kinda freakin out about it) but hopefully I can manage it without insulin injections. Sugars in our diets is the devil.

Again, great job! You should be very proud of where you are now!! Keep up the good work my man!!

Thanks. I'm not familiar with that plan. I didn't change meal times, look for a quick change, nor use any kind of tailored plans. Rather I started writing down everything, used this Mediterranean Foods shopping list as a guide, and focused on cooking more for myself.

I also made adjustments as I learned more about what I do well with and what I do not. like not eating red meat and having more locally-grown produce that may not be on the list.

I didn't go "cold turkey" on a lot of things but adjusted over time. (I did completely cut out some things, however, like fast food and white pasta. But I had a serious control problem with both).

And like you are doing, I focus on making healthier choices and adjusting for long term. The quick loss plans I tried in the past ultimately didn't work once I went off them.

Good to hear. Sounds like you did the same thing I hope to do in the future. Long-term lifestyle choices, not so much for the immediate gratification and seeing results in a short period of time. To quote both myself and @DreamTheaterRules: "This is gonna sound weird..." but I can wait to see longer lasting results. I'll look at the shopping list and see what works for my palate and budget, and plan accordingly.

I noted that salmon is not included in the Mediterranean diet, likely because it is an Atlantic/Pacific fish. I've heard that wild salmon is helpful with the Omega-3s and helps burn fat. Did you include salmon as part of your diet?

Man that's amazing!!! Congratulations on your success and amazing transformation.

I was diagnosed just last Friday with Type 2 Diabetes. I've always been around 6'1 180-190 lbs. With an "athletic build". Now, I'm around 220 LBS. Problem is I've always had a HELLA sweet tooth and I LOVE bread. So, I gotta cut out all the sugar PERIOD. I was completely blown away by the diagnosis (still kinda freakin out about it) but hopefully I can manage it without insulin injections. Sugars in our diets is the devil.

Again, great job! You should be very proud of where you are now!! Keep up the good work my man!!

Sorry to hear that brother.

On a positive note, put your sweetie buDGeT into the DGT fund!;)

Thank you! Sorry about the diabetes diagnosis. I can relate to the sweets and especially bread. I'm at a point where an apple or some blueberries will take care of sweet cravings--I think cutting artificial sweeteners helped my tastes adjust--but I still have to be very careful with bread. For a while I'd only eat whole wheat pita on occasion. Eventually I added regular whole wheat and sourdough bread back into my diet, but it's still a major weakness.

Good to hear. Sounds like you did the same thing I hope to do in the future. Long-term lifestyle choices, not so much for the immediate gratification and seeing results in a short period of time. To quote both myself and @DreamTheaterRules: "This is gonna sound weird..." but I can wait to see longer lasting results. I'll look at the shopping list and see what works for my palate and budget, and plan accordingly.

I noted that salmon is not included in the Mediterranean diet, likely because it is an Atlantic/Pacific fish. I've heard that wild salmon is helpful with the Omega-3s and helps burn fat. Did you include salmon as part of your diet?

Focusing on a steady rate of improvement and better learning how to manage diet and activity were part of the progress. There are impatient moments, even now, but I need to remind myself this is what finally had longer success. Also, having a couple photos as a reference--even just an ID of my face--helped me see the progress, as I never noticed much of a change day-to-day in the mirror. I also still have my old belt. Every so often I'll take it out of the closet, try it on, and make a new notch in it. It helps me better see the progress and remind me not to let that happen again.

As for salmon, yes. I have some about once every week or two. I'd likely have it more often if not for the price. I also have tuna about once a week, although I'm concerned about mercury, and locally-caught walleye on occasion. I've looked at the sardine and anchovy cans on store shelves but so far have decided, nope. (I also need to avoid salt, so I keep away from a lot of canned things).

Congratulations! I think what you've mentioned about documenting what you're eating and how you feel are really important. So much of the research focuses on the "calories in/calories out" approach. And while that is important, there are a lot of emotions wrapped up with any sort of addiction, including food addiction. Getting a handle on the “how’s and why’s” is an important first step to improvement.

Welcome to the club, brother :(. It’s a family thing in my case. I made it to 49 before my diagnosis. Four years in, and I’m still just on Metformin. Some dining sacrifices, for sure. More walking, too. You can do it, my friend!

Congratulations! I think what you've mentioned about documenting what you're eating and how you feel are really important. So much of the research focuses on the "calories in/calories out" approach. And while that is important, there are a lot of emotions wrapped up with any sort of addiction, including food addiction. Getting a handle on the “how’s and why’s” is an important first step to improvement.
Thank you! I agree. The emotional baggage kept me from logging and analyzing for a while, but I needed to do it. That made what I was doing wrong much clearer. There were even a few times where I thought about eating something (especially when helping my parents, whose house is well-stocked with junk food), then pictured myself writing it down, knew how bad I would feel, and put it back. I was also able to spot habits I needed to change, like how much time I spent idle in front of a screen.

Welcome to the club, brother :(. It’s a family thing in my case. I made it to 49 before my diagnosis. Four years in, and I’m still just on Metformin. Some dining sacrifices, for sure. More walking, too. You can do it, my friend!

Thanks bro same for me...just started Metformin myself. Yeah...just another part of the aging process I suppose...and oh yeah...thanks for the genes mom!:D

Last edited:
but I can wait to see longer lasting results.
Nothing weird about that, brother! Every time I hear these stories, or more importantly, here or see them with friends, my first thought is "that's great that you got here. Now you HAVE TOO find a way to stick with it!" No exceptions. The health benefits, just plain "feeling better" and being more active, etc... You worked this hard to get here, now DO NOT GO BACK! Got Major Payne to yell at you ever time you gain 5 lbs, or something. Good luck, and I'm pulling for you!!!

...As for salmon, yes. I have some about once every week or two. I'd likely have it more often if not for the price. I also have tuna about once a week, although I'm concerned about mercury, and locally-caught walleye on occasion. I've looked at the sardine and anchovy cans on store shelves but so far have decided, nope. (I also need to avoid salt, so I keep away from a lot of canned things).

From what I've seen, both canned salmon and pouch-form (2.5 oz) can be added to a salad as well as chickpeas or chopped nuts (pistachios, cashews, or peanuts) with berries with perhaps a sprinkle of Truvia for sweetening.

I'm personally averse to sardines (too much oil, plus the bad breath aftereffect), but have used anchovies in sauces. Shrimp is good, and it's comparatively cheap when on sale. Will def look into locating smaller 6 oz cans of salmon if they exist. Most canned salmon I've seen are 16 oz. Tuna, especially wild-caught tuna in pouch form will supplement a salad or yield a lettuce wrap which will replace bread for the most part. I'll still need rye bread occasionally for additional sandwiches for dinner breaks at my job.

Nothing weird about that, brother! Every time I hear these stories, or more importantly, here or see them with friends, my first thought is "that's great that you got here. Now you HAVE TOO find a way to stick with it!" No exceptions. The health benefits, just plain "feeling better" and being more active, etc... You worked this hard to get here, now DO NOT GO BACK! Got Major Payne to yell at you ever time you gain 5 lbs, or something. Good luck, and I'm pulling for you!!!

DTR, thanks for the encouragement. As someone who's been an athlete most of his life, it's appreciated when physically fit folks boost our spirits...

Downside these past few years, TBH, I've gained about 1.2 pounds per year since 2011 when I weighed 210. Now at 223, it's about time for me to get on the stick and take control of my weight.

I think success will largely depend on food choices, and portion size. No more buying the bone-in center-cut pork chops unless they weigh 5 oz or less. No junk food. Cut back big-time on starches such as bread and potatoes. More veggies and fruits instead of desserts. Hoping to include high fiber foods, with fewer processed foods. Will still count calorie intake and exercise output. May need to set specific goals regards my weight, and work to overcome any challenges that may come up. Plateaus, hunger, emotional aspects. Am sure the rewards will out-distance the negatives once they begin to occur.

From what I've seen, both canned salmon and pouch-form (2.5 oz) can be added to a salad as well as chickpeas or chopped nuts (pistachios, cashews, or peanuts) with berries with perhaps a sprinkle of Truvia for sweetening.

I'm personally averse to sardines (too much oil, plus the bad breath aftereffect), but have used anchovies in sauces. Shrimp is good, and it's comparatively cheap when on sale. Will def look into locating smaller 6 oz cans of salmon if they exist. Most canned salmon I've seen are 16 oz. Tuna, especially wild-caught tuna in pouch form will supplement a salad or yield a lettuce wrap which will replace bread for the most part. I'll still need rye bread occasionally for additional sandwiches for dinner breaks at my job.

DTR, thanks for the encouragement. As someone who's been an athlete most of his life, it's appreciated when physically fit folks boost our spirits...

Downside these past few years, TBH, I've gained about 1.2 pounds per year since 2011 when I weighed 210. Now at 223, it's about time for me to get on the stick and take control of my weight.

I think success will largely depend on food choices, and portion size. No more buying the bone-in center-cut pork chops unless they weigh 5 oz or less. No junk food. Cut back big-time on starches such as bread and potatoes. More veggies and fruits instead of desserts. Hoping to include high fiber foods, with fewer processed foods. Will still count calorie intake and exercise output. May need to set specific goals regards my weight, and work to overcome any challenges that may come up. Plateaus, hunger, emotional aspects. Am sure the rewards will out-distance the negatives once they begin to occur.

That sounds good. I usually go with fresh or frozen salmon, hence the high price, so I should try canned more often. In general I've found a lot of variety helps a lot, Even with just salads and stir-fries, using different ingredients and spices keeps boredom at bay.

Wow...and Congrats on the transformation. Great Thread, as all us "doctors and lawyers" are, well...getting older.
So many underestimate the mental part of changing your eating habits/lifestyles.
In 2003-2004, I lost over 50 lbs on WW...and it worked wonderfully. (A LOT of food-tracking/documentation).
End of '04, Dad got sick, early '05, almost half right back on...Big time stress eater here. (And my wife is the complete opposite.#$%^&$%^&*%^&*!!!)

These stories are wonderful encouragement to all. If your thinking about starting a healthier lifestyle, start now, cuz it gets much more difficult as you get older.
(Also, no ads/plugs here...just enjoying my Grandchildren, and looking forward to a few years of fun in the mountains with them.)
(Oh, and messing with my Swamps!!!)

For those familiar, Aldi has a pretty good selection of fruits, and fish...salmon, etc...
Also, we just got an Air-Fryer. Its awesome. If you're thinking about one, do it. Very Worth it.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I too have a similar story. I’m 6’ and weighed 408 at my highest. On Dec 4, 2017 i hag gastric sleeve surgery and changed everything about the way I eat/ drink. Today I average 184 and go two pounds either way weekly.

My stomach is very small now so I can’t eat much and have given up processed sugar. I no longer eat bread, drink alcohol, or pasta. Really I just eat meat, vegetables, nuts, and some fruits multiple times a day. I only drink tea, water, or coffee.

I walk on average 80,000 steps a week. Many changes happened that I didn’t expect. I am now a morning person and get up at 4;00 naturally. I take vitamins every day and have a ton of energy.

looking back on the things I’ve done for myself I rate this and Lasic as the two best. I take no medicine and my last physical put my numbers all in ideal readings.

I had to make wholesale life changes to get here but it’s been worth it. It’s easy for me now. I agree it’s not a diet but life change to live differently.

I was always someone that tried anything and if I liked it I did it a lot. Compulsive excessive focused at bad is horrible but when focused on the good accomplishes more than most can do.

We can’t change yesterday but today is a different story.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I too have a similar story. I’m 6’ and weighed 408 at my highest. On Dec 4, 2017 i hag gastric sleeve surgery and changed everything about the way I eat/ drink. Today I average 184 and go two pounds either way weekly.

My stomach is very small now so I can’t eat much and have given up processed sugar. I no longer eat bread, drink alcohol, or pasta. Really I just eat meat, vegetables, nuts, and some fruits multiple times a day. I only drink tea, water, or coffee.

I walk on average 80,000 steps a week. Many changes happened that I didn’t expect. I am now a morning person and get up at 4;00 naturally. I take vitamins every day and have a ton of energy.

looking back on the things I’ve done for myself I rate this and Lasic as the two best. I take no medicine and my last physical put my numbers all in ideal readings.

I had to make wholesale life changes to get here but it’s been worth it. It’s easy for me now. I agree it’s not a diet but life change to live differently.

I was always someone that tried anything and if I liked it I did it a lot. Compulsive excessive focused at bad is horrible but when focused on the good accomplishes more than most can do.

Congrats!

Wow...and Congrats on the transformation. Great Thread, as all us "doctors and lawyers" are, well...getting older.
So many underestimate the mental part of changing your eating habits/lifestyles.
In 2003-2004, I lost over 50 lbs on WW...and it worked wonderfully. (A LOT of food-tracking/documentation).
End of '04, Dad got sick, early '05, almost half right back on...Big time stress eater here. (And my wife is the complete opposite.#$%^&$%^&*%^&*!!!)

These stories are wonderful encouragement to all. If your thinking about starting a healthier lifestyle, start now, cuz it gets much more difficult as you get older.
(Also, no ads/plugs here...just enjoying my Grandchildren, and looking forward to a few years of fun in the mountains with them.)
(Oh, and messing with my Swamps!!!)

For those familiar, Aldi has a pretty good selection of fruits, and fish...salmon, etc...
Also, we just got an Air-Fryer. Its awesome. If you're thinking about one, do it. Very Worth it.
Thanks! I tend to stress eat, too, an have to watch for it. Focusing on other outlets helps, including playing guitar and piano, hiking, cycling, and writing.

Thank you and congratulations! So you're a bit over three years since the surgery and doing exceptionally well. Very cool. I looked into surgery but have been okay without it so far. I may see a plastic surgeon at some point, though. Also, ditto on Lasik. I had it few years ago, and it's been great. (As an aside, the doctors played Rush during the surgery. "YYZ" was on as the lasers flickered. Very rock and roll).

And as I mentioned, I've been surprised at how many other issues improved with the diet and weight loss. Besides skin improving and being able to play again, breathing is a lot easier, I feel much more energetic, and my depression in no where near as bad. Since being more active and energetic I've also discovered a lot of trails and parks I wasn't even aware of before.

Its amazing to not live in pain. I have two bulging discs and no cartilage in my knees. I started walking to get my balance back and now my back and knees dont bother me at a high level. I probably cant run but walk 3 miles in the morning Mon-Fri and 5 on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome time in the morning with my dog. I love it. For me routine consistency is the key.

Back