Becoming half the man I was: my weight loss experience

tbp0701

There are some who call me ... Tim.
After mentioning my weight loss progress in the photos thread, I was asked to make a separate thread in more detail about my experience and what I have learned along the way. For a disclaimer, I am not in any medical nor healthcare profession and can only say what has been working for me.

Also, no sales pitches nor miracle cures; rather, a healthy diet, logging and analysis, and regular movement.

While I am ashamed to admit this, in May 2018 I stepped on a scale at a doctor’s office and saw it reach 440lbs (199.5kg). I had gone to the doctor as, not surprisingly, I was having several health issues. I had also stopped playing guitar for a few years as the skin on my fingers would crack and bleed.

I am now at 215lbs (97.5kg). I am a 6’2” (188cm) man. While I avoided photos when morbidly obese, there is at least one, so here’s a two-year comparison. My goal is to get to a healthy BMI, which would be under 190lbs (86kg) for me.

I can point to a few factors in my weight getting that far out of control—lingering effects from a bad accident, botched surgery, and five-month hospital stint; sitting at a desk every evening for a decade, often skipping lunch, getting home late, and eating everything I could find; and depression—but the major issue was my own stupidity.

For the remainder of 2018 I tried various diet plans without much success, but it wasn’t until September, and seeing myself in that “before” picture on a local station’s website, that I more fully committed. As my sister had success with keto, I tried that, but it was not a good experience for me (lethargy, headaches, pains, losing control of depression). I took a doctor’s advice and switched to a Mediterranean diet in February 2019 and have been on it since.

I was having server errors, so I made this two parts. Hopefully part two is below.

Part II

I have made adjustments as I learned what best works for me, what blood tests showed I was lacking, and as I became healthier and lost weight. If it is of any help, interest, here are the keys in my getting this far.

• A healthy, sustainable diet, with enough nutrition to be active and enough variety to not feel stuck in a rut. This is the key for me. I had tried several highly restrictive, fad, trendy, and the like diets in the past. Since my early teens, really. While they worked in the short term, I always regained after going off the diet, often as I became sick. I needed something that I could stick with for the remainder of my life, be healthy, and not feel I was punishing myself. For me that turned out to be a Mediterranean diet with some variations.
  • Keeping a log. Many of us have trouble with this one, including me, but I had to start tracking to better see what I was doing that was so wrong. It turned out to be a lot. Besides writing down what I eat along with the calories, it also helps me to note moods, cravings, activity, thoughts, whatever I want to write.
  • Analyzing/identifying problem areas & bad habits. The logging was critical with this, but it helped me to realize several problem areas. One was that several staples of my previous diet—cold cereal, white bread, white pasta, and fast food—were causing cravings. I believe this is because my body quickly converts them to sugar in the blood stream, which eventually causes a crash and a craving for more, starting an endless cycle (but again, I am not a medical professional, and many are fine with these foods). I also better saw bad habits I needed to change. The worst of these was eating in front of screens. When in front of a TV or working at a computer, I was often snacking (usually on tortilla chips), and not realizing how much I was eating. I adjusted my behavior. I no longer eat in front of screens, rarely watch TV, and only drink no calorie beverages at the computer. (I also stopped drinking diet soda. There is debate on this, but I kept craving sweet things while drinking it, and I used to drink it a lot. My tastes adjusted after I switched to unsweetened beverages.)
  • Recognizing what works and doing more of that. With the logs and analysis, I also found some foods have me feel satiated for a while, and even feel good and energetic. Not surprisingly most of these are vegetables, fruits, berries, and the like. I also found having plenty of fiber helps. For instance, if I drink fruit juice, I will have cravings not long after, but if I eat a whole fruit I’d fine. As above, I believe this due to how quickly glucose hits the blood stream. I also found I felt better during and after certain activities.
  • Learning to cook. This is breakthrough. In the past I felt I did not have the time nor skill to prepare decent, healthy meals, so I relied on fast and prepared/ready-to-eat foods. It turns out I was wrong. I started by learning a few basic recipes, like vegetable stir-fries and homemade soups. Using spices helps. I also realized making a stir-fry is quicker and easier than heading to a drive-thru, and I feel much better afterward.
  • Movement and exercise. This was a lot easier with the improved, heathier diet, but greatly helped in a lot of ways. I had to be careful at first, however, as I was so large. I began by finding a place I could walk daily and doing so. As I lost weight and became healthier, I went for longer walks on hillier and more rugged terrain. I added other exercises including calisthenics, yoga, weights, and after getting under 240lbs started riding a bike again. Besides the exercise I look for ways to be active throughout the day. These include taking stairs, walking instead of driving, playing guitar or piano, doing house/yardwork, anything to not sit idle for too long.
  • Focusing on the smaller, daily improvements. This was especially important early on, as I had an overwhelming amount of weight to lose. Rather than focusing on that I took time to notice things like stairs were getting easier to climb, I was walking longer before tiring, seats and clothes were feeling larger, and mostly I was feeling better. And I knew I was better today than yesterday, this week than last, this month, and so on. And if I keep at it, tomorrow will be better still. That has kept me going.

Okay, this is over 1,000 words, and I hope it is of some use and interest to some of you. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them as best I can.

I will say that my health and general outlook has greatly improved since losing over half my previous size. Even the skin issues that stopped me from playing guitar for several years resolved, and I have been playing again for the past year. While I wish I had figured all this out much earlier in life, and am ashamed I got as bad as I did, at least I have now.

@tbp0701,

Congratulations regards your continued weight loss journey. It is a choice one makes to live a healthier life not just temporarily, but for a lifetime. Good work!

Although I am obese myself, though by comparison, less so, currently at 225 lbs. (102 kg) and 5' 7" (1.7 m).

Some years ago, my health required taking medication that contributes to weight gain. Since then, it's been an ongoing struggle to maintain my weight without gaining significantly. My goal is to reach 190-195 lbs, but this has been elusive no matter how well I monitor my calorie intake.

My guilty pleasure is not eating breakfast, and enjoying 1 alcoholic drink with a fiber-rich snack before bed (sometimes some dried apricots or pistachios). (The drink & snack puts food in my stomach that helps ease sleep, and staves off hunger pangs that would normally occur at breakfast.).

I usually eat a normal lunch (sandwich or bowl of soup during winter, sandwich or salad bowl during warmer months) and dinner (5 to 6 oz poultry, pork, or fish), and a veggie or 2. My liquid intake is usually either decaf sugarless iced tea, green or chamomile tea, or liters of artificially flavored (but no sugars) carbonated water.

I seldom snack between meals, and might only try a small handful of pistachios to ease cravings.

I realize that I could cut out processed carbs (the pastas, breads, cookies, cheesecakes and pies) and substitute fresh or dried vegetables or fruit instead. (The level of satisfaction is vastly different with desserts than fruit, but this is a health choice I will need to make). The fiber would be of benefit, in that it prevents cravings and helps you feel full though you may not eat as much.

My questions to you are, what conscious decisions did you make regards your Mediterranean diet? Is there a source of reliable information online that delineates the Mediterranean diet that would prove beneficial to those who might choose to follow it?

I got down from 210 to 175 following heart surgery, when I was very strict with myself. But in the past few years it's inched up to the 190s again. I need to go back on the Mediterranean diet, which incidentally, was what worked for me as well, and was recommended by my cardiologist.

First of all, bloody well done !!!

Secondly, apart from all the health benefits, the mental benefits must be massive, I mean you literally changed the way you think, and that takes some doing. You are not the only one who benefits, I think your family and loved ones also reap the rewards.

Great to hear you are playing guitar again as well.

Great job, great story and congratulations!
Those "sugars" will get you every time.

Great to see the successes of others. :)

congratulations, and i agree about the sugars. and breakfast cereals.

Thanks!

@tbp0701,

Congratulations regards your continued weight loss journey. It is a choice one makes to live a healthier life not just temporarily, but for a lifetime. Good work!

Although I am obese myself, though by comparison, less so, currently at 225 lbs. (102 kg) and 5' 7" (1.7 m).

Some years ago, my health required taking medication that contributes to weight gain. Since then, it's been an ongoing struggle to maintain my weight without gaining significantly. My goal is to reach 190-195 lbs, but this has been elusive no matter how well I monitor my calorie intake.

My guilty pleasure is not eating breakfast, and enjoying 1 alcoholic drink with a fiber-rich snack before bed (sometimes some dried apricots or pistachios). (The drink & snack puts food in my stomach that helps ease sleep, and staves off hunger pangs that would normally occur at breakfast.).

I usually eat a normal lunch (sandwich or bowl of soup during winter, sandwich or salad bowl during warmer months) and dinner (5 to 6 oz poultry, pork, or fish), and a veggie or 2. My liquid intake is usually either decaf sugarless iced tea, green or chamomile tea, or liters of artificially flavored (but no sugars) carbonated water.

I seldom snack between meals, and might only try a small handful of pistachios to ease cravings.

I realize that I could cut out processed carbs (the pastas, breads, cookies, cheesecakes and pies) and substitute fresh or dried vegetables or fruit instead. (The level of satisfaction is vastly different with desserts than fruit, but this is a health choice I will need to make). The fiber would be of benefit, in that it prevents cravings and helps you feel full though you may not eat as much.

My questions to you are, what conscious decisions did you make regards your Mediterranean diet? Is there a source of reliable information online that delineates the Mediterranean diet that would prove beneficial to those who might choose to follow it?

Thank you. One of the major factors for me was that I was far beyond a slight behavior correction or slight change. I had a serious problem that I needed to figure out. Now I'm reaching the point where I feel I can eat certain things I'd avoided and keep them in moderation, but I'm still careful

As for the conscious decisions and adjustments I made to the Mediterranean diet, one of the changes is that I haven't eaten red meat since starting it and have seldom had poultry. While the diet allows for them, sparingly, I just feel better not eating them. (Also, four months of keto made me rather sick of red meat). I have fish a couple times a week, but most days are plants.

For other adjustments, I was eating too little for a bit. Luckily a blood test showed where I was lacking before any complications occurred. I increased my calories and nutrition by adding more beans, quinoa, and nuts to the diet. I also started eating more steel cut oatmeal (usually with blueberries) and whole wheat bread. That got me where I should be. I still have a B12 deficiency and have been taking supplements (and was getting monthly shots for a bit).

In general, I focus on the diet's emphasis on whole, minimally processed foods and local/fresh produce. In a grocery store, for instance, I don't go down the aisle with the "Mediterranean" labelled cans; instead I stick to the fresh produce and refrigerated cases. This also makes the diet very flexible, so I can keep trying different things and address cravings (like making something spicy or crunchy).

As for websites, when searching I mainly stick to those with some medical/science credentials, like The Mayo Clinic, and The Cleveland Clinic. For ideas and a shopping list, I find OliveTomato.com very helpful. I also picked up the America's Test Kitchen Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, which has been handy.

I got down from 210 to 175 following heart surgery, when I was very strict with myself. But in the past few years it's inched up to the 190s again. I need to go back on the Mediterranean diet, which incidentally, was what worked for me as well, and was recommended by my cardiologist.

Groovy! Congratulations. A gastroenterologist first recommended the diet for me. I've also met with a dietitian who said it was her favorite diet.

First of all, bloody well done !!!

Secondly, apart from all the health benefits, the mental benefits must be massive, I mean you literally changed the way you think, and that takes some doing. You are not the only one who benefits, I think your family and loved ones also reap the rewards.

Great to hear you are playing guitar again as well.

Thank you! Yes, the mental benefits have been surprisingly effective. Related to that, losing enough to go on hikes and bike rides and be out among trees has helped me cope with the last year. And I really missed playing guitar. I wish I hadn't lost that many years of practice, though. (I even nearly sold my PRS. Glad I didn't).

Great job, great story and congratulations!
Those "sugars" will get you every time.

Great to see the successes of others. :)

Thanks! Freaky how much of a draw sugars can be, especially when my family keeps a stock of them. At some point I stopped seeing them as food. I eat quite a few apples, though.

Great job!

Thanks!

Hats off to you, my friend! It’s a battle to improve health, and you’ve hit the main thing I’ve learned... it’s never going to be a fad diet or insane exercise program that’s going to turn it around. You have to find dietary and exercise options that are sustainable and can be made into a lifestyle you will continue with even after goals are reached.

One of the best points you made was about learning to prepare food. If you rely on just processed, prepared foods it is going to be very hard to get what you need, and limit what you don’t. Good job on handling that key life skill.

Keep it up!

Thank you!

Congratulations on your change of lifestyle.

Thanks!

Hats off to you, my friend! It’s a battle to improve health, and you’ve hit the main thing I’ve learned... it’s never going to be a fad diet or insane exercise program that’s going to turn it around. You have to find dietary and exercise options that are sustainable and can be made into a lifestyle you will continue with even after goals are reached.

One of the best points you made was about learning to prepare food. If you rely on just processed, prepared foods it is going to be very hard to get what you need, and limit what you don’t. Good job on handling that key life skill.

Thanks!. Looking back at it, I'm a bit surprised and embarrassed it took me so long to figure that out. It feels like I was in a fog.

That is a herculean accomplishment, well done! There is nothing harder than breaking habits that revolve around a basic need such as eating. Our innate need for satiety and our feast or famine biology coupled with our highly processed food and super-size culture makes for a trap that is almost impossible to escape. You are to be commended - GREAT JOB!

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing! It motivated me and my wife!

Mediterranean diet... we will definitely look it up. I don't think I am obese yet at 172 lbs at 5'7". But 12 years ago, being active in martial arts competitions, I was in the sub and lower 160s. Shortly after my arrival in America ( I'm Asian), I gained more than 10 lbs in a few months! I also started to have cholesterol problems. There must be something in American food, but I have to admit that I just lost control in eating. Everything was new to me and I wanted to try them all!

Better late than never. I dont know how many things I regret procrastinating about. :)
Thanks!

Congratulations on a job well done!
Thank you!

That is a herculean accomplishment, well done! There is nothing harder than breaking habits that revolve around a basic need such as eating. Our innate need for satiety and our feast or famine biology coupled with our highly processed food and super-size culture makes for a trap that is almost impossible to escape. You are to be commended - GREAT JOB!
Thanks! I'm still processing how some things were very difficult while others were quite easy once I figured them out. Like getting away from highly-processed food was difficult, especially early on, once I did and based my diet on natural foods and ate more fiber, however, keeping the daily calorie target became much easier.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing! It motivated me and my wife!

Mediterranean diet... we will definitely look it up. I don't think I am obese yet at 172 lbs at 5'7". But 12 years ago, being active in martial arts competitions, I was in the sub and lower 160s. Shortly after my arrival in America ( I'm Asian), I gained more than 10 lbs in a few months! I also started to have cholesterol problems. There must be something in American food, but I have to admit that I just lost control in eating. Everything was new to me and I wanted to try them all!
Thank you and you're welcome! I'm happy and humbled that I am motivating. I've not been outside of North America but would like to travel more (I avoided planes due to my size) but have learned that a lot of diet staples in the US pose risks. One is the portion sizes. A part of my learning process was measuring and learning what "one serving" really looks like.

I can relate to losing control while eating, as I very obviously did. Now I'm astounded to think how many calories I had to be consuming per day, yet how little I realized it. As I mentioned I think the high-glycemic-index foods (which the body quickly converts to sugar and are among US diet staples) really affected me, as I constantly felt hungry. Once I stopped eating them and increased whole vegetables and fruits, the constant hunger stopped.

When looking up the Mediterranean diet I focus on sites I feel are trustworthy, like major hospitals (Mayo and Cleveland Clinic). With those as the basis I better grasp whether other sources are genuine or click-seeking.

Back