Bad News At GC.

I was in Georgia for work recently and stopped in a GC and was thoroughly unimpressed with pretty much everything...but there was a nice place that had decent people and nice guitars...apparently there are a few in the Atlanta area, but I forget the name. It was just a guys' name...??

I was in Georgia for work recently and stopped in a GC and was thoroughly unimpressed with pretty much everything...but there was a nice place that had decent people and nice guitars...apparently there are a few in the Atlanta area, but I forget the name. It was just a guys' name...??

Ken Stanton?

The real place to go in Atlanta now is Righteous Guitars, but they're only open by appointment so I'd feel bad going there just to kick tires. GC is still the number one place to try gear when you have no intention of buying it on the spot.

I have mixed feelings about open by appointment. I don't want to feel pressured to buy something just because someone opened their doors. That business model creates conflict.

I have mixed feelings about open by appointment. I don't want to feel pressured to buy something just because someone opened their doors. That business model creates conflict.

I guess the goal is to only have "serious" customers who are looking to buy. For example, my buddy was looking to buy an LP. They had several, so he set up a time, played a bunch and bought the one he liked best. I'm sure he would've walked away if none of them suited him, but it does seem like you need to be prepared to spend the cash when you walk in. I think it's more of a "premium" experience, too. They can give you full attention and you don't have to put up with other guitarists wailing away while you're trying to focus.

The only time I will go into a GC nowadays is to buy strings, picks, maybe a cable if i'm really desperate but aside from that, nothing else. The GCs in my area (Detroit) have all but phased out PRSi (save for a few beat up SEs) and Gibbys. I much prefer the old "mom and pop" stores anyway.

Went by the Atlanta GC today and it was same as it has been for a few years (meaning pretty decent). Maybe half a dozen SE guitars on the main show floor, WAY up high so you have to ask permission. The USA stuff in the Platinum room under lock and key.

They had a couple of the S2 satins in their exclusive sunburst, a Prism (which looks freakin' gorgeous in person), two new CEs, couple of S2 and core Customs, a McCarty, and then a stunning vintage yellow '89 Custom.

I grew up in Davenport and moved to Chicago in '87 for a job. Just curious what the dealer is that's 96 miles away? May have to make a trip next time I'm back that way.

That would be Flores Music down I-74 in Peoria. I spent a lot of money with them when I lived there (moved to Bettendorf almost 4 years ago). Great customer service and fair prices.

Wasnt there a law or "Executive Action" recently concerning salaried employees and overtime? Seems I remember hearing some hullabaloo about that.

That would be Flores Music down I-74 in Peoria. I spent a lot of money with them when I lived there (moved to Bettendorf almost 4 years ago). Great customer service and fair prices.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. That's about the same distance from where I'm at. I smell a weekend road trip!

C'mon. Who here thinks starting out on a $99 guitar is going to lead to easy learning and a passion for playing?.

I, for one. Unlike many of you, I am old enough to remember the crap guitars and amps sold by Sears thru their catalog... as well as mom & pop music stores which carried instruments even worse than those. Brand names like ZimGar with plywood bodies and necks that warped within a few months, utter junk compared to the $100 StratPak you find today at GC. The cheap Strat you get today will sound good enough and stay playable long enough for a truly interested youngster to decide whether he/she really wants to continue, without the instrument itself driving the kid away.

I remember them too.

But cultural influences are vastly different today. It takes a lot more to grab kids' attention to the point of hard work/obsession.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. That's about the same distance from where I'm at. I smell a weekend road trip!

Well, if it's about the same distance for you then I assume you are in the far southern burbs of Chi town. Easy way to get there - take I80W to I39S. Keep going south until you hit US24 (El Paso exit). Take US24E (it becomes War Memorial when you enter Peoria). Go across the Illinois River and keep going a ways. Flores will be on your left (south side of the road). Good food to be had in the direct vicinity as well. Awesome tenderloins at Schooners which is right up the road and if in season, there is a great butcher shop across the road (Alwans) that is worth a stop if they have the grill going....or you want some great cuts. Actually, there are a lot of good places to grab a bite to eat in that area.

BTW....don't speed through Washington/East Peoria or any of the towns on US24....them boys just love to snag people and they hide!

If you want an interesting scenic route, take the exit for IL17 off of I39 and head east. Once you cross the Illinois river, head south on IL29 (it's a T stop so go left). This will take you down along the river through some small towns (again....DO NOT SPEED!!) and right before hitting the edge of the ghetto you can take the on ramp onto War Memorial and wind up in the same spot.

Flores is a smallish shop but if you're up for a road trip and want to check out some gear then the trip is worth it.

Well, if it's about the same distance for you then I assume you are in the far southern burbs of Chi town. Easy way to get there - take I80W to I39S. Keep going south until you hit US24 (El Paso exit). Take US24E (it becomes War Memorial when you enter Peoria). Go across the Illinois River and keep going a ways. Flores will be on your left (south side of the road). Good food to be had in the direct vicinity as well. Awesome tenderloins at Schooners which is right up the road and if in season, there is a great butcher shop across the road (Alwans) that is worth a stop if they have the grill going....or you want some great cuts. Actually, there are a lot of good places to grab a bite to eat in that area.

BTW....don't speed through Washington/East Peoria or any of the towns on US24....them boys just love to snag people and they hide!

If you want an interesting scenic route, take the exit for IL17 off of I39 and head east. Once you cross the Illinois river, head south on IL29 (it's a T stop so go left). This will take you down along the river through some small towns (again....DO NOT SPEED!!) and right before hitting the edge of the ghetto you can take the on ramp onto War Memorial and wind up in the same spot.

Flores is a smallish shop but if you're up for a road trip and want to check out some gear then the trip is worth it.
I'm actually in the Far East side of Aurora. It's about 120 miles from me. Sounds like a good weekend road trip. Thanks for the pointers!

BTW, Sweetwater is an awesome place to work with. I haven't been up to Ft. Wayne, but my online experiences have yet to be beat. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a brand new Core model from them.
+1 - I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

I, for one. Unlike many of you, I am old enough to remember the crap guitars and amps sold by Sears thru their catalog... as well as mom & pop music stores which carried instruments even worse than those. Brand names like ZimGar with plywood bodies and necks that warped within a few months, utter junk compared to the $100 StratPak you find today at GC. The cheap Strat you get today will sound good enough and stay playable long enough for a truly interested youngster to decide whether he/she really wants to continue, without the instrument itself driving the kid away.

Back in the day, a lot depended on where you lived.

I grew up in Detroit, and there was always a huge professional music scene in town. Not only Motown, of course, but there was a big time jazz community, folks had big-band dance bands at parties, and there was a nascent, thriving rock and roll thing going on with my generation as well. There were several companies doing music for TV ads because of the car manufacturing ad agencies in town also.

The Detroit Symphony was a big thing, and the Detroit Opera Theater, and there were all-city bands and orchestras all over the place, with tons of venues to play live. There was also a thriving thing called "jams" where people would host teenage dances on the weekend that cost maybe a buck to get into, at very large venues! And there were high school dances, and, if you could pass for 18, frat parties in Detroit, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing at the three biggest schools (I had a hard time passing for 18 even when I was 30, but that's a different story!).

In 1965, when I was just a kid, our band used to get $500 for a party! To put that in perspective, a new Mustang cost $2495 in 1965. Every venue in Detroit was a Union gig. The musicians got paid to play a bar, and if the bar stiffed them, the Union would send someone out to collect for the musicians.

Even Bar Mitzvahs and weddings would have live music, and often there was a dance band for the older generation, and a rock and roll band for the kids, who would alternate sets (and hate each others' music!).

If you had a band, and you got gigs, you got paid. No ifs, ands or buts. So teenage bands earned the dough to invest in some serious equipment. Venues didn't have PAs back then, the band brought theirs.

Thus, for the most part, the music stores in Detroit catered to working musicians who could afford to buy decent gear. And the stores carried not only guitars, amps and keyboards (that at the time were mainly combo organs, electric pianos, hammond or real pianos), they also carried wind, woodwind, and classical stringed instruments.

We had some great shops - Meyer's Music City was a gigantic place that sold every conceivable type of instrument, but there were good smaller shops like Massimino, Pontiac Music and Sound, and others that dotted the various neighborhoods, that sold quality gear. I bought my first PRS at Pontiac Music...a tiny shop that only had the good stuff.

I joined a working band and started gigging before I could drive, so I got to bypass the junky stuff from the start. I didn't know anyone in Detroit who gigged who was playing Silvertone or some of the junkier stuff.

I knew of it, but no one who was at all serious was playing it - even in high school!

The sad thing is that the market for musicians' services has shrunk to a tiny level with DJs and piped in music predominating. Today, when you say you play guitar, most people figure you're a hobbyist.

Last edited:
Back in the day, a lot depended on where you lived.

I grew up in Detroit, and there was always a huge professional music scene in town. Not only Motown, of course, but there was a big time jazz community, folks had big-band dance bands at parties, and there was a nascent, thriving rock and roll thing going on with my generation as well. There were several companies doing music for TV ads because of the car manufacturing ad agencies in town also.

The Detroit Symphony was a big thing, and the Detroit Opera Theater, and there were all-city bands and orchestras all over the place, with tons of venues to play live. There was also a thriving thing called "jams" where people would host teenage dances on the weekend that cost maybe a buck to get into, at very large venues! And there were high school dances, and, if you could pass for 18, frat parties in Detroit, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing at the three biggest schools (I had a hard time passing for 18 even when I was 30, but that's a different story!).

In 1965, when I was just a kid, our band used to get $500 for a party! To put that in perspective, a new Mustang cost $2495 in 1965. Every venue in Detroit was a Union gig. The musicians got paid to play a bar, and if the bar stiffed them, the Union would send someone out to collect for the musicians.

Even Bar Mitzvahs and weddings would have live music, and often there was a dance band for the older generation, and a rock and roll band for the kids, who would alternate sets (and hate each others' music!).

If you had a band, and you got gigs, you got paid. No ifs, ands or buts. So teenage bands earned the dough to invest in some serious equipment. Venues didn't have PAs back then, the band brought theirs.

Thus, for the most part, the music stores in Detroit catered to working musicians who could afford to buy decent gear. And the stores carried not only guitars, amps and keyboards (that at the time were mainly combo organs, electric pianos, hammond or real pianos), they also carried wind, woodwind, and classical stringed instruments.

We had some great shops - Meyer's Music City was a gigantic place that sold every conceivable type of instrument, but there were good smaller shops like Massimino, Pontiac Music and Sound, and others that dotted the various neighborhoods, that sold quality gear. I bought my first PRS at Pontiac Music...a tiny shop that only had the good stuff.

I joined a working band and started gigging before I could drive, so I got to bypass the junky stuff from the start. I didn't know anyone in Detroit who gigged who was playing Silvertone or some of the junkier stuff.

I knew of it, but no one who was at all serious was playing it - even in high school!

The sad thing is that the market for musicians' services has shrunk to a tiny level with DJs and piped in music predominating. Today, when you say you play guitar, most people figure you're a hobbyist.

Talk about a difference in generations. Couldn't be more of the opposite today! Living on the opposite side of the state from Les, but it being a few years later, trying to make it as a gigging band is tough. And I'm not talking about "making it" as in making a living (or any money at all, for that matter), I'm talking about making it like just finding gigs and not getting shrugged off by venues! Sounds like in your day, Les, the venue was what attracted people because the people knew they would hear some good music - now the venues expect you to bring the crowds. I've gotten stiffed a few times by bars, in towns I've never played in, because we "didn't bring a big enough draw." Well I'm sorry the people in YOUR town don't come to YOUR bar! With local bands by the dozen, should any venue really expect every band to have a massive following that tags along to every show and fills their joint? Or, should they have a reputation for featuring good bands and people will come expecting quality entertainment? I think the latter! If we scare dozens of people out of your bar, fine, we suck. But if 20 people walk in the door all night, that's not the band's fault. Especially if we drive an hour or more to your town, people from our hometown aren't going to just follow us wherever!

Man, I could've done well making today's equivalent of $500 a gig through college and grad school. Talk about ideal weekend work for a student! I got a few paying gigs in those days, but nothing to make any real cash on. A middle aged couple from my church got married when I was in college, the groom was always chatting with me about SRV, Kenny Wayne, and guitar music in general, and they asked me to play their wedding and dinner music for the reception. Cool! Playing solo acoustic wasn't my normal schtick, but I practiced my butt off for a couple months, and got a lot of compliments that night... then the groom slipped me a $100 bill. Um... thanks? Still a great guy and I would never mention it to him.

The appreciation for live local music is dying. Sadly, it's become its own subculture - the people interested in hearing live music are largely musicians themselves. I just focus on having fun with it, my day job suffices financially and it's my "hobby," although I try to take the quality of what I do seriously. I secretly dream of playing in a big band ensemble someday, doing some of the old soul and Motown with horns and sax in the mix - love that stuff. And that's one thing you can still make a few bucks at, playing wedding receptions and parties. My father in law had a connection to a great keyboard player and bandleader, and we asked him to bring a group and play our wedding reception, it was SO good, SO fun. He was actually the original keyboardist from the Steve Miller Band, super talented guy and knew all the right songs to play.

Back