Ordered an SE, disappointed

PRSnewb

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to buy a core PRS, but I can’t decide between a custom 24 or a DGT. They are very different models, but they are the 2 that intrigue me. With covid (and my local GC having not having a DGT) I decided to order an SE standard 24 so I can get a basic idea of what the scale length and 24 frets felt like.

I’ve played for 30 years. Mostly Gibson and Fender, I also have a few inexpensive guitars. But I’ve never played a 24 fret guitar, or one with a 25” scale. $500 seemed really good for what is offered on this model. I had no illusions that it would be some amazing guitar, but I figured it would at LEAST be similar quality to a $400 squire classic vibe or $500 Epiphone.

Guitar showed up with some issues that were the fault of the retailer, not PRS. So I had to return it. But playability wasn’t affected, so I had almost a full day to try it out before shipping it back.

First impressions: feels cheap, almost toy-like. Felt like I could break it in half with my bare hands and I’m not a strong guy. By comparison, the Squire classic vibe tele I have is better in every single way. The squire feels like a solid, legit instrument. Better pots, better fit & finish, better tuners, better nut, etc. I was under the impression that the se standard is just like the more expensive ($800+) SE custom 24. Only difference being the maple cap & veneer on the custom. I was told this standard 24 has the same pickups, pots, nut, tuners, Trem, etc, as the custom 24 SE models. If that’s true, I wouldn’t buy an SE for half price. Im guessing the older Korean ones are far & away better.

I can say without hesitation, this is the cheapest-feeling guitar I’ve played in recent memory. My best guess is that PRS went all-in on making the standard 24 LOOK nice, i.e. binding, birds, Paul’s sig, zebra pups, etc. But quality simply wasn’t there in any aspect.

I won’t let this dissuade me from buying a core model. But man, Paul should not be putting his name on this. It’s bad for his reputation in my very humble opinion. My 2 cents anyhow.

Had to replace the nut on mine and the volume pot is scratchy, both which irk me a little, but since I'm not much of a volume adjuster and $11 for a new nut, it's now a really nice guitar. The way you feel is, well, the way you feel, and I'm certainly not saying you are wrong, but I don't get that impression with mine. Granted I have the custom 24 SE but it does not feel cheep to me. I compare it to my SC245 which was a fantastic guitar (just ultimately didn't get along with the neck shape) and I don't think it's really that far behind. The good news is that you can sell it for not much loss.

My SE is 14 years old. It fell out of a moving truck, been knocked over dozens of times (crazy pets), I smacked the headstock more times than I can count, and it still plays like a champ. I think it’s very solid, much more so than anything in its price range. I’d try another one, my experience with SEs has always been that they punch well above their price point. Even my new SE Hollowbody is excellent all around!

My SE is 14 years old. It fell out of a moving truck, been knocked over dozens of times (crazy pets), I smacked the headstock more times than I can count, and it still plays like a champ. I think it’s very solid, much more so than anything in its price range. I’d try another one, my experience with SEs has always been that they punch well above their price point. Even my new SE Hollowbody is excellent all around!

Yeah I have to think the Korean ones are better quality. I’ve heard great things about them.

Here’s how mine showed up. (Didn’t effect playability, but it’s definitely fragile)

KHQp2ch.jpg
IkxVGs6.jpg

Reactions: jxe
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to buy a core PRS, but I can’t decide between a custom 24 or a DGT. They are very different models, but they are the 2 that intrigue me. With covid (and my local GC having not having a DGT) I decided to order an SE standard 24 so I can get a basic idea of what the scale length and 24 frets felt like.

I’ve played for 30 years. Mostly Gibson and Fender, I also have a few inexpensive guitars. But I’ve never played a 24 fret guitar, or one with a 25” scale. $500 seemed really good for what is offered on this model. I had no illusions that it would be some amazing guitar, but I figured it would at LEAST be similar quality to a $400 squire classic vibe or $500 Epiphone.

Guitar showed up with some issues that were the fault of the retailer, not PRS. So I had to return it. But playability wasn’t affected, so I had almost a full day to try it out before shipping it back.

First impressions: feels cheap, almost toy-like. Felt like I could break it in half with my bare hands and I’m not a strong guy. By comparison, the Squire classic vibe tele I have is better in every single way. The squire feels like a solid, legit instrument. Better pots, better fit & finish, better tuners, better nut, etc. I was under the impression that the se standard is just like the more expensive ($800+) SE custom 24. Only difference being the maple cap & veneer on the custom. I was told this standard 24 has the same pickups, pots, nut, tuners, Trem, etc, as the custom 24 SE models. If that’s true, I wouldn’t buy an SE for half price. Im guessing the older Korean ones are far & away better.

I can say without hesitation, this is the cheapest-feeling guitar I’ve played in recent memory. My best guess is that PRS went all-in on making the standard 24 LOOK nice, i.e. binding, birds, Paul’s sig, zebra pups, etc. But quality simply wasn’t there in any aspect.

I won’t let this dissuade me from buying a core model. But man, Paul should not be putting his name on this. It’s bad for his reputation in my very humble opinion. My 2 cents anyhow.
I’ll bite.

You took the time to register on this site to state you didn’t like a guitar? Do you do this with every product you are disappointed by? What is your intention?

There are plenty of people here to give advice on ways to correct issues, but it seems like your only agenda is to whinge.

Did you get your money back? What’s the rest of the story?

If you wanted to provide feedback to PRS, there are more direct ways than using a forum frequented by owners who who love them.

If you date a girl who disappointed you, do you make it a point to go to a gathering of her family to tell them all how she disappointed you (in great detail)?

I’ll bite.

You took the time to register on this site to state you didn’t like a guitar? Do you do this with every product you are disappointed by? What is your intention?

There are plenty of people here to give advice on ways to correct issues, but it seems like your only agenda is to whinge.

Did you get your money back? What’s the rest of the story?

If you wanted to provide feedback to PRS, there are more direct ways than using a forum frequented by owners who who love them.

If you date a girl who disappointed you, do you make it a point to go to a gathering of her family to tell them all how she disappointed you (in great detail)?

1) I took the time to register to become part of this forum. Sorry you didn’t like my first post.

2) No, not every product. Guitars usually. They are my passion.

3) My intention was to voice my experience. Again, apologies for you not liking that.

4) Yes I got a refund. Or I should say, I should get a refund when my shipment is received at the retailers warehouse. It’s in transit.

5) What other parts of the story would you like to know?

6) ok, I will email PRS.

7) I’ve been with the same woman for 22 years. But if she was a mass-produced product that other people were going to buy, I’d have no problem telling people “10/10 would recommend.”

Had to replace the nut on mine and the volume pot is scratchy, both which irk me a little, but since I'm not much of a volume adjuster and $11 for a new nut, it's now a really nice guitar. The way you feel is, well, the way you feel, and I'm certainly not saying you are wrong, but I don't get that impression with mine. Granted I have the custom 24 SE but it does not feel cheep to me. I compare it to my SC245 which was a fantastic guitar (just ultimately didn't get along with the neck shape) and I don't think it's really that far behind. The good news is that you can sell it for not much loss.

Thanks for being nice and respectful. Greatly appreciated.

Nope!

Many people come here, read a bunch, get the vibe and then post. It was the “Member since Today” and the laundry-airing.
I’ve lurked here on many occasions. But only for research, because I’ve never owned a prs. I didn’t feel I had anything to contribute because of that. After buying my first, I decided to post my experience. Apologies for airing laundry.

After trying the Indonesian SE, I’m just going to buy a core model. I didn’t like anything on the SE besides the scale length and upper fret access.

Yeah I have to think the Korean ones are better quality. I’ve heard great things about them.

Here’s how mine showed up. (Didn’t effect playability, but it’s definitely fragile)

KHQp2ch.jpg
IkxVGs6.jpg

Actually, you've got a valid issue. The good news is that either the retailer who sold you that should shoulder the responsibility and replace the guitar. The bad news is that not everyone responds well to a new member's complaint (especially his or her first post).

It's kind of like introducing yourself before a large crowd, speaking for several minutes, and realizing that the crowd is disinterested because of the negativity of the speech.

Yet, because it's not always easy to make a good first impression with people, this forum has plenty of forgiving people who tend to refrain from commenting early on and prefer to judge based not the merits of future posts.

Hopefully, you won't be dissuaded from making future posts, and perhaps will follow-up on this post. Because this forum is PRS-centric, we welcome and encourage your PRS purchase choices, especially when they work for you or result in a happy ending. Best wishes regards your PRS journey, and welcome to the forum.

seems everyone (well 4 guys) is getting a jacked-up-in-shipping se these days. it’s why mail in ballots are wrong.

Well, without discussing the obvious, it's entirely possible that some shippers are taking a less careful attitude regarding carton handling. It could be for all the bad rap they've received lately regards "the obvious."

(Just a guess. Not pointing fingers or heading to the water cooler yet. It's not my place to judge, nor should it be ours...)

Hello, if I understand correctly, you bought it from Guitar Center. They are not allowed to open what they ship if it is unopened when it arrives at the store. My younger son was in management for 12 months with them, and I learned a lot of things I didn’t like. I understand being upset with a cracked headstock, but that would be the shipper or the warehouse. The idea behind the standard is to be the best $500 dollar guitar you could buy. It is still a $500 guitar, but I do believe it’s the best.I’d suggest that you take a look at the PRS website, and the authorized retailers. Those are the people I would buy from. They’re guitar nerds, just like the rest of us, and service what they sell.
Keep in mind that a used PRS can be a real bargain, and you can get them at substantial savings. Not all of us have deep pockets. Most of mine were bought used. If you get it from an authorized dealer, you won’t have to worry about getting damaged goods, and they’ll make problems right in a hurry. We here to help, but over the years there have been people who trolled the website to make trouble. ( We know you did, Henry J., Mark A, and others). When the first post presents a problem to be solved, most of us will do whatever we can to help. When it’s a first post and simply criticizes, a lot of people assume it’s just another paid troll trying to cause trouble. We will welcome you and will help, and we don’t think everything is perfect. If you tell us what area you live in, all of us will be glad to share positive experiences with retailers, resellers, luthiers, part sources, whatever you need.
Please keep in mind we’re try not not knock anybody or brand down, especially PRS. And welcome, and know we will consider you one of us.

Back