Ordered an SE, disappointed

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to buy a core PRS, but I can’t decide between a custom 24 or a DGT. They are very different models, but they are the 2 that intrigue me. With covid (and my local GC having not having a DGT) I decided to order an SE standard 24 so I can get a basic idea of what the scale length and 24 frets felt like.

I’ve played for 30 years. Mostly Gibson and Fender, I also have a few inexpensive guitars. But I’ve never played a 24 fret guitar, or one with a 25” scale. $500 seemed really good for what is offered on this model. I had no illusions that it would be some amazing guitar, but I figured it would at LEAST be similar quality to a $400 squire classic vibe or $500 Epiphone.

Guitar showed up with some issues that were the fault of the retailer, not PRS. So I had to return it. But playability wasn’t affected, so I had almost a full day to try it out before shipping it back.

First impressions: feels cheap, almost toy-like. Felt like I could break it in half with my bare hands and I’m not a strong guy. By comparison, the Squire classic vibe tele I have is better in every single way. The squire feels like a solid, legit instrument. Better pots, better fit & finish, better tuners, better nut, etc. I was under the impression that the se standard is just like the more expensive ($800+) SE custom 24. Only difference being the maple cap & veneer on the custom. I was told this standard 24 has the same pickups, pots, nut, tuners, Trem, etc, as the custom 24 SE models. If that’s true, I wouldn’t buy an SE for half price. Im guessing the older Korean ones are far & away better.

I can say without hesitation, this is the cheapest-feeling guitar I’ve played in recent memory. My best guess is that PRS went all-in on making the standard 24 LOOK nice, i.e. binding, birds, Paul’s sig, zebra pups, etc. But quality simply wasn’t there in any aspect.

I won’t let this dissuade me from buying a core model. But man, Paul should not be putting his name on this. It’s bad for his reputation in my very humble opinion. My 2 cents anyhow.

Welcome! I always like hearing good and bad. I was surprised at what happened because people seem to really like the SE, according to the reviews I've read everywhere. You could have had a bad unit/bad experience. Hope you get that rectified quickly!

My Standard 24 Tobacco Burst arrived today and it far exceeds my wildest dreams. But wouldn't you know that my phone and email lit up with work today. The joys of being a self-employed IT jockey. Pick your own hours they say: either the first 12 or the second 12 ... sometimes both. I'll work on putting an NGD post in my spare time. Yeah right! Don't hold your breath. It's time for my daily hour of practice.

BTW: It's absolutely freaking gorgeous.

My Standard 24 Tobacco Burst arrived today and it far exceeds my wildest dreams. But wouldn't you know that my phone and email lit up with work today. The joys of being a self-employed IT jockey. Pick your own hours they say: either the first 12 or the second 12 ... sometimes both. I'll work on putting an NGD post in my spare time. Yeah right! Don't hold your breath. It's time for my daily hour of practice.

Congrats. Happy playing!!!

@Squirrel Looking forward to reading your impressions on how the new guitar feels & sounds. At least it’s safely at home just waiting for your attention.

I’ll keep an eye out for your thread.

Sweeet!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to buy a core PRS, but I can’t decide between a custom 24 or a DGT. They are very different models, but they are the 2 that intrigue me. With covid (and my local GC having not having a DGT) I decided to order an SE standard 24 so I can get a basic idea of what the scale length and 24 frets felt like.

I’ve played for 30 years. Mostly Gibson and Fender, I also have a few inexpensive guitars. But I’ve never played a 24 fret guitar, or one with a 25” scale. $500 seemed really good for what is offered on this model. I had no illusions that it would be some amazing guitar, but I figured it would at LEAST be similar quality to a $400 squire classic vibe or $500 Epiphone.

Guitar showed up with some issues that were the fault of the retailer, not PRS. So I had to return it. But playability wasn’t affected, so I had almost a full day to try it out before shipping it back.

First impressions: feels cheap, almost toy-like. Felt like I could break it in half with my bare hands and I’m not a strong guy. By comparison, the Squire classic vibe tele I have is better in every single way. The squire feels like a solid, legit instrument. Better pots, better fit & finish, better tuners, better nut, etc. I was under the impression that the se standard is just like the more expensive ($800+) SE custom 24. Only difference being the maple cap & veneer on the custom. I was told this standard 24 has the same pickups, pots, nut, tuners, Trem, etc, as the custom 24 SE models. If that’s true, I wouldn’t buy an SE for half price. Im guessing the older Korean ones are far & away better.

I can say without hesitation, this is the cheapest-feeling guitar I’ve played in recent memory. My best guess is that PRS went all-in on making the standard 24 LOOK nice, i.e. binding, birds, Paul’s sig, zebra pups, etc. But quality simply wasn’t there in any aspect.

I won’t let this dissuade me from buying a core model. But man, Paul should not be putting his name on this. It’s bad for his reputation in my very humble opinion. My 2 cents anyhow.
you won't be happy till you get a real PRS

I totally agree with everything you said about the se models.
They feel like low end cort guitars with insane prices.
And D.O.A pots and switches are very common.
I would love it if their build quality was on par with any schecter, ibanez or LTD.
They should contract out to those factories and that would justify the prices.

I totally agree with everything you said about the se models.
They feel like low end cort guitars with insane prices.
And D.O.A pots and switches are very common.
I would love it if their build quality was on par with any schecter, ibanez or LTD.
They should contract out to those factories and that would justify the prices.
As Les said the last time I made a joke "Don't quit your day job." :D
:D

Back