ask paul

First job -

I wrote a letter of resignation from my first job.

My manager asked if there was anything that he could, even though he knew that he couldn’t. He knew what the problem was, but too many of them (you can guess) and way too much grief for him!

He was great to me and said that I would be sadly missed.

Second Job -

After a 3 month probationary period I was supposed to be paid the same wage as I was getting paid for my first job.

I was offered a permanent contract, however the Boss reneged on the deal, offering a far lower salary with no reasonable explanation.

I offered to work until they found a replacement, so I didn’t leave them in a bind. I was told to leave at the end of the day, a week before Christmas!

Kind of glad that he let me go, because he and the wife were bigoted racists!

Third Job -

Self employed. I was the best boss! Though he worked me hard! And no holiday/sick pay!

Fourth (current) Job -

This one has to last, because of mortgage/bills/kids etc.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that loyalty is an honourable trait, but there comes a time where you have to do what is right for you!

There is a tremendous feeling of empowerment when you take control of your future.

I wish you and your wife all the best.

Edit:

There was a Fourth job that was a “stop gap” before what is my Fifth/current job!

The boss was great, she was unfortunately promoted from within the team and totally had the p!ss taken out of her.

Just as I was told I got job no.5, a lass that was promoted to team leader made a totally spurious and horrid allegation of a sexual comment that I had made. She brought it up in an evaluation!

To this day I’m still amazed that she confronted me about this in an appraisal! The alleged comment was something that I just wouldn’t have said. I don’t really understand why she did it, unless she was thinking that it was her way of showing dominance in her new position.

I couldn’t wait to get out of there. It was my first experience of how dangerous colleagues could be!

Last edited:
Back