Anyone else just accept the fact youre a PRS guy....

Russ73

I have 7 PRS ranging from Core to S2s to SEs...im constantly looking to expand...looked at teles...Charvel and yesterday checked out a LP I was interested in...passed on all of em because the PRS I own...scale length...necks and ergonomics take the cake...I even tried to upgrade my PRS acoustic...for the money I preferred the P20e....I know there's tons of great guitars out there and I enjoy all guitars but there's always a model of that guitar in the lineup that I overall prefer...im not a fan boy by any means btw...

I have 7 PRS ranging from Core to S2s to SEs...im constantly looking to expand...looked at teles...Charvel and yesterday checked out a LP I was interested in...passed on all of em because the PRS I own...scale length...necks and ergonomics take the cake...I even tried to upgrade my PRS acoustic...for the money I preferred the P20e....I know there's tons of great guitars out there and I enjoy all guitars but there's always a model of that guitar in the lineup that I overall prefer...im not a fan boy by any means btw...
It's perfectly normal to prefer one brand of guitar. I've only bought PRS for more than 20 years.

"You're not normal, Laz."

"OK, just don't tell anyone."

I'm absolutely a PRS man. The issue I struggle with is letting a few staples go. I rarely play my LP, SG, Tele, and a couple strats. But can't bring myself to part with them because when I do play them I enjoy each for different reasons. The thing is I always want to grab my PRS. I wonder all the time if I should part with my industry staples and get moooaaarrr PRS!

Not everything in the PRS catalogue would work for me, but overall? Yeah, totally. PRS has everything that makes me excited in a guitar brand. The quality and comfort, innovation with respect to tradition of guitar design, the tone, charismatic leader and good bunch of lads on the forum ;)

In my younger guitar playing days, PRS was my "dream" guitar (specifically a whale blue stop tail Custom 22). I stopped playing guitar in my 30's (life, kids, work, etc.) before getting the urge to play again pretty hard during COVID. I was able to jump back into the hobby with a vengeance and purchased my 2018 DC594 (aquamarine and in my view an upgrade to my original CU22 dream) to scratch that initial PRS itch. It exceeded my expectations and got me hooked on PRS in a more meaningful way than my teen/twenty "lust" for the guitar.

My other main hobby is woodworking/furniture building which actually adds to my appreciation for PRS given the intentional design and beauty of the guitars. At one point, I had 6 core PRS and they were my only guitars. I was fully content and certainly a "PRS guy" though it was more by omission (excluding other brands I had not tried and simply accepting PRS as the best). My collection became a little more refined and I am "down" to 4 core PRS (PS in process) and I added 3 G LP Customs after a few forum members encouraged me to actually try something from G's Custom shop.

Each guitar fills a slightly different use for me, even if some are purely for the look of the guitar. It is a privileged perspective for sure and I am ok with that. So, I do appreciate guitars other than PRS for what they are and I am completely enamored with my G LP Customs. With that said, PRS is the only factory I toured, the only guitar brand of which I would wear a shirt/hat, and really the only guitar company-sponsored/dedicated forum I frequent. I appreciate other brands and guitars, but PRS is the only one I respect (which sounds funny when considering it as a business) for how they operate. To more succinctly answer the question, Yes, I accept I am a PRS guy and I do not shy away from it... It helps that I am a middle-aged overeducated Engineer so I also fit the stereotype :cool:

In terms of "factory made" guitars I prefer PRS. Back in the days as a young lad the advertisings of PRS, EBMM (the EVH signature) and Hamer (Diablo) attracted me most.
I own three PRSi, a fourth, a red PRS SE Tremonti Custom, heritage of my best friend, who passed away end of March 24, will be added soon.
I have a Parker, a Reverend, a Duesenberg/Rockinger, a Peavey, and three luthier made ones.
But PRS will be the big brand I will always trust in and recommend first.

I actually just figured out a bit more specifically that I'm a 24 fret PRS guy.

I've been wondering off and on for years why I bond so well with the Custom 24/CE-24 models than I do with any of the 22 fret guitars I've had. I picked up an Ibanez AX70 back in 1985 when I was 19. That was my only guitar from that time until it was stolen in 2001. So 16 years with just that guitar sort of settled deeply in my playing. I struggled since it was stolen to find a replacement, swapping through Gibson, Rickenbacker, Schecter - nothing ever felt right. Then I picked up the first PRS I bought - Custom 24 JH Sig, and it felt like it fit exactly. So trying to puzzle out why I don't bond with the P22 or Custom 22 I had, I decided to search Reverb and found a used AX75 (HSS rather than HH) for sale. So I counted the frets in the pictures - 24! So that's why PRS 24 fret guitars feel so natural to me, 24 frets was what I played for 16 years straight.

Too bad there aren't more options from PRS with 24 frets. I would love a 509/511/513, but they are all 22 due to pickup spacing needed. I think the only 2 I could add that would differ enough would be the 24-08 or 24 Piezo models.

Too bad there aren't more options from PRS with 24 frets. I would love a 509/511/513, but they are all 22 due to pickup spacing needed. I think the only 2 I could add that would differ enough would be the 24-08 or 24 Piezo models.
Don't forget the Santana.. always remember the Santana!

And arguably my favorite guitar. KL33

1000040077289a4393951c7e25.jpg

There's also the 88-91 Studio. A guitar very high on my want list. Theres the older core Mira with 24 fret too..

You're not alone on wanting a modern HSH or HSS 24 fret guitar from PRS. I'd be all about that.

PRS makes awesome guitars. I have others but they've been in the stable for decades & aren't going anywhere.

In the last 18 months I've gone from 0% PRS to 50% and seriously doubt that I'll have as many of any other brand. And the PRSi are played way more than everything else put together.

Back