Any word on new guitar models for 2013?

No more SC 58??!!??!! :bawling:

Not that I have or would have had the cash any time soon, but...

With the return of the SC245 and it's inclusion in the expanded Artist Package program, you can essentially order a SC58 that way. The expansion of the Artist Package program makes the higher end production models redundant, like the Quatro and the 58's. I think it's a good move, more options!

I must say though, I find it odd that the powers that be have chosen to offer TWO Schon-Floyd-Archtops instead of a Maryland made 6 string baritone or 7 string.

That's why I posted this for you over at VR: http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/showthread.html?18647-Something-for-th3M1ke-m Did you see it? :D

On topic - this line-up raises a lot of questions:

- will the 2-piece bridge be discontinued as well?

- why the move away from the 53/10s (P22) and 59/09s (Cu24)? Are the 57/08s that will replace the other pickups different from the current ones?

- no more McCarty? Seriously?

- why still no DGT and Tremonti stoptail options? :(

- what about a ME V?

Am excited to hear the rest of the changes to the line-up. The email quoted above sounds as if the list is not exhaustive.

With the return of the SC245 and it's inclusion in the expanded Artist Package program, you can essentially order a SC58 that way. The expansion of the Artist Package program makes the higher end production models redundant, like the Quatro and the 58's. I think it's a good move, more options!

One difference is that the two-piece bridge is wonderful sounding...not to say that the one-piece isn't cool, it's just different.

I wonder why they made the switch?

I must say though, I find it odd that the powers that be have chosen to offer TWO Schon-Floyd-Archtops instead of a Maryland made 6 string baritone or 7 string.

I would *love* a Maryland made PRS with a Floyd but the Schon totally misses the mark for me. I don't get the big semi-hollow Floyded guitar thing at all.

The Brent Mason model speaks to me very much. I would prefer it to not have a middle pickup but that's not the end of the world - a push-pull pot swap can get the neck/bridge combo I'd want.

I would *love* a Maryland made PRS with a Floyd but the Schon totally misses the mark for me. I don't get the big semi-hollow Floyded guitar thing at all.

The Hollowbody with a floyd is what I find risky - I think a Floyd should be an artistpackage option to be honest because I know a lot of guys wish they were able to get them stock on a PRSi.

Ha I just saw that - thanks! VR for some reason blocks my work IP from accessing the site so I dont get on it nearly as much as I should.

Did you see my 7 string build thread on here? ;)

No, but how cool! Did you finally break down and went PS? Link? Awesome! EDIT: found it, way cool!

The Hollowbody with a floyd is what I find risky - I think a Floyd should be an artistpackage option to be honest because I know a lot of guys wish they were able to get them stock on a PRSi.

It would be nice if the AP meant that you can also get a DGT or Tremonti with a stoptail.

Last edited:

I doubt it's risky. It's not a hollowbody - it's semi-hollow. Honestly, I just think it's goofy.

One difference is that the two-piece bridge is wonderful sounding...not to say that the one-piece isn't cool, it's just different.

Great point Les! Missed that. Maybe it will be an Artist Package option? I'd like to see it on a Studio or Custom 22.

It would be nice if the AP meant that you can also get a DGT or Tremonti with a stoptail.

Instead of the Artist package, I think something like Fender's team built program would be nice - you can get a custom Fender with quite a lot of options for a pretty reasonable price. But PRS is clearly very successful with their current model so they probably have little reason to offer this.

Are we so sure that SC245 has the one piece bridge? I've heard otherwise.

If the SC245 has the same bridge as the SC58, aren't they the same guitar?

Yea I'm curious about the bridge option. The 2 piece bridge is the reason why I liked the sc58 so much. Also I remember the sc245's used to be weight relieved. Which I wasnt too fond of. I wonder if these will be as well?

Last edited:
If the SC245 has the same bridge as the SC58, aren't they the same guitar?

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see how this turns out...

My SC58 is my favorite PRS production model, and I had hoped to someday get a second one. The 2 piece bridge is great, at least for me.

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see how this turns out...

My SC58 is my favorite PRS production model, and I had hoped to someday get a second one. The 2 piece bridge is great, at least for me.

+1. Pretty disappointed they're going to discontinue this model. But we can't have them all right :)?

I'm sad that the Chris Henderson sig is being cut. I was in the market for an SC250 which has been discontinued for a while when the new CH was announced last year so I bought one. Now, I guess, if/when I'm in the market for another one I'll have to go used again. Oh well. :(

I'm sad that the Chris Henderson sig is being cut. I was in the market for an SC250 which has been discontinued for a while when the new CH was announced last year so I bought one. Now, I guess, if/when I'm in the market for another one I'll have to go used again. Oh well. :(

There are still a lot of them new/unsold at dealers. I wouldn't worry too much if you can buy sometime soon :)

- why the move away from the 53/10s (P22) and 59/09s (Cu24)? Are the 57/08s that will replace the other pickups different from the current ones?

- no more McCarty? Seriously?

- what about a ME V?

1 - I'd like to know why there's a switch to 57/08s from 59/09s. I don't think the 53/10s have lit the world alight, so I can see why they've gone, but the 59/09s are well liked.

2 - The McCarty platform is used for other things, such as the 408, DGT and Paul's Guitar. I don't think it makes sense for it to stay as a regular model, plus the McCarty 58 was too expensive and didn't sell (at least here in the UK).

3 - As the Modern Eagle was always Paul's model, I think the Paul's Guitar is the new ME. As it doesn't have a rosewood neck any more, I guess that's why the name has changed.

Back