Any women on this forum?

That's it, rub it in! :)

I really need to get my hands on one of those. With birdies, of course. As you well know, since you have a couple, my NF3 can get into strat-land if you EQ the clean channel of the amp right. And it plays like a dream come true. But it's can't "nail" strat tones. Arguably, it can do some "better" tones than a strat if thats your thing and I do love it, but... If the DC3 played just like that but with more stratty tones... Well there'd be a couple really nice strats for sale and I'd be shopping.

When you get a chance, I'd love to see yours.

Yeah man, you need to get your hands on a DC3. Its exactly how you expect it to be. Mine has a rosewood board (which is good for seeing the birdies but just not as bright sounding as a typical strat). I wouldnt mind picking up a maple board one in the future. The guitar is THAT good.

My personal opinion is if the DC3 pickup shape would have accepted actual strat pickups then these guitars would have flown off store shelves. It was just too much too soon (305/DC3/NF3/513 came out all around same time frame) and it wouldnt accept common pickup swaps.

The best thing about the DC3 is the neck. Its the best neck that I've ever played....

I will take some photos this weekend (since my team didnt make it to the Superbowl and I'm avoiding downtown Minneapolis like the plague).

My personal opinion is if the DC3 pickup shape would have accepted actual strat pickups then these guitars would have flown off store shelves.

Ha, I know you haven't been around long, but I have said this exact thing MANY times in the last couple years, and same for the NF3.

The best thing about the DC3 is the neck. Its the best neck that I've ever played....

I'll have to look, but if it's the Pattern Regular that my NF3 has, then in maple board, I already agree with you. And, my only complained ever about the NF3 (again often stated here), is that it has no birdies. I love birdies. Birdies ARE PRS! All PRS guitars should have birdies.

The formula is top secret, but no dolls are involved.

Jobu???
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah man, you need to get your hands on a DC3. Its exactly how you expect it to be. Mine has a rosewood board (which is good for seeing the birdies but just not as bright sounding as a typical strat). I wouldnt mind picking up a maple board one in the future. The guitar is THAT good.

My personal opinion is if the DC3 pickup shape would have accepted actual strat pickups then these guitars would have flown off store shelves. It was just too much too soon (305/DC3/NF3/513 came out all around same time frame) and it wouldnt accept common pickup swaps.

I will take some photos this weekend (since my team didnt make it to the Superbowl and I'm avoiding downtown Minneapolis like the plague).

I love my DC3, but I think it’s more a Strat for PRS players than it is a PRS for Strat players if that makes sense?

Ha, I know you haven't been around long, but I have said this exact thing MANY times in the last couple years, and same for the NF3.

I'll have to look, but if it's the Pattern Regular that my NF3 has, then in maple board, I already agree with you. And, my only complained ever about the NF3 (again often stated here), is that it has no birdies. I love birdies. Birdies ARE PRS! All PRS guitars should have birdies.

Yup the neck is pattern regular... I kinda wish it was a Pattern (which my hand thinks is closer to the old Standard profile) but it feels great.

I love my DC3, but I think it’s more a Strat for PRS players than it is a PRS for Strat players if that makes sense?

I agree but I think if somebody told a manufacturer to go 'make a strat', they'd get some alder, a bolt on maple neck, and 3 single coils and throw that bad boy together. PRS did that and got the DC3. It still aint a F strat but it was a PRS version which was as close as we could get at that time.

Maybe what is coming will be more of a F strat... Maybe the scale will be exactly the same, the body denser and wider than DC3, and can take F strat pups.... If so, then maybe F strat players will have a true F type strat competitor made by PRS. I think that guitar could be a strat for F strat players.

I bought the DC3 because I loved my strat but I couldnt 'get with' the wide body shape. Now that the cats out of the bag, its because I gots boobs, lol. The guitar would slide out of my lap when seated and hit me in ALL the wrong places while standing. The DC3 is the perfect size for me. Sound wise, it has that PRS non-raw tone which is very different from a F strat but it is close enough for me. John Mayer's prototype sounds even closer though...

I agree but I think if somebody told a manufacturer to go 'make a strat', they'd get some alder, a bolt on maple neck, and 3 single coils and throw that bad boy together. PRS did that and got the DC3. It still aint a F strat but it was a PRS version which was as close as we could get at that time.

Maybe what is coming will be more of a F strat... Maybe the scale will be exactly the same, the body denser and wider than DC3, and can take F strat pups.... If so, then maybe F strat players will have a true F type strat competitor made by PRS. I think that guitar could be a strat for F strat players.

I bought the DC3 because I loved my strat but I couldnt 'get with' the wide body shape. Now that the cats out of the bag, its because I gots boobs, lol. The guitar would slide out of my lap when seated and hit me in ALL the wrong places while standing. The DC3 is the perfect size for me. Sound wise, it has that PRS non-raw tone which is very different from a F strat but it is close enough for me. John Mayer's prototype sounds even closer though...

Given the tonal revelations in this post, I'm going to have to give it a "like." I mean, it covers necks and scale length and pickups and tonez and all kinds of things. ALL GOOD! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amen to this point. PRS is generally a more forgiving fit for a female frame and you don't need to be a giant with muscles built for hefting to play one on stage. Which would normally lead me onto my favourite rant about us making up 50% of the market, which makes a commercial nonsense out of the ironing boards and slabs of train track that get past guitar manufacturers design teams........ but I'll save that one for a rainy day :)

Amen to this point. PRS is generally a more forgiving fit for a female frame and you don't need to be a giant with muscles built for hefting to play one on stage. Which would normally lead me onto my favourite rant about us making up 50% of the market, which makes a commercial nonsense out of the ironing boards and slabs of train track that get past guitar manufacturers design teams........ but I'll save that one for a rainy day :)

Yup, it was the middle width on a strat that always bugged me... It just threw the whole shape off. I dont see how women with boobs play a strat comfortably.

As a matter of fact, shape was my main reason for buying it. I bought it online and I asked the dealer to measure the middle width (bless his heart, he was SO confused by my request, lol) and compare it to another PRS. To my surprise, the DC3 body shape was actually a tiny bit smaller than the other PRS guitar so I knew it also had to be smaller than a F strat.

My other reasons for buying the DC3 were the 2 knobs (I dont like having more than 2), the neck, and the lil birdies.

I'm also sensitive to guitar weight (due to an old back injury which flared up last year) and right now, all of my guitars weigh less than 8 lbs. I sold several last year (two Les Pauls and a 513) that were ridiculously heavy. My DC3 is 7 lbs even.

The only other guitar that I looked at due to its forgiving shape was that St Vincent but that guitar was just too 'weird'.

The only other guitar that I looked at due to its forgiving shape was that St Vincent but that guitar was just too 'weird'.

Definitely not a guitar for me. I spent 10 minutes looking at it sideways to try and work out how I was supposed to fit round it

Back