Has PS quality gone up the past few years?

I would say no. Their nitro is too soft, causes issues. Their cheaping out on tuners with those silly new style ones. Lots of guitars not coming with locking tuners anymore. Just little things as the prices have sky rocketed to 200% higher than they used to be only a few years back. PRS is going down a dangerous road and I'm one of their biggest fans in a city where every guitarist is still stuck on gibson/Fender ..... although I have converted many but now it's near impossible to justify with prices so high.
I must admit I am a little conflicted on the things you adress. Some are true, others are a little silly to me. I am not disagreeing with your observation on prices. Something with supply and demand and cost of resources going up. I was kind of shocked by the bargain I had 2 yrs back on a NOS 57/08 CU24. Cost about 2/3rds of a current model with conparable specs. Lucky me.

But I do not agree with your ovservations about nitro, although I loved the older poly finish as well. It is a design choice. It is better serviceable and ages nicer than poly. A bump with a poly guitar results in a sharp nick that is not easily repeared, with nitro it is a littlw dent, easily repaired. That is worth something to me. And the tuner buttons will bot be cheaper but work better. Physics tells me they are easier to operate tuning that guitar.

Oh, and regarding PS guitars? No idea. PSF suggestst they are as awesome as they were 8 yrs ago.

Great examples. We don't all like the same art. Heck, I don't like all the art from the artists I do like. Yet, they are still art. That's all I'm saying. We at a level of art or craftsmanship that the differences are subtle and they aren't guaranteed to be better for everyone everytime. That simple.
There are of course no guarantees when it comes to musical instruments. How could there be? No two people have the same brain to interpret the audio, the same hands, the same ears, or the same tastes.

As I always take pains to point out, I speak only for myself, and always in relation to personal experience. My opinions are never prescriptions for anyone else.

As to how good the Core instruments are, they're not just good, they're great. I've bought a handful of 'em since getting my PS models. I freaking love my WL Core DGT. Granted, it doesn't have the silky finesse of the PS models, but I didn't buy it for finesse.

I bought it because it kicks some serious ass! 😄

And that's the thing. Just because I love my PS guitars for what they are doesn't mean I can't I also love my Core models for what they are.

Choices like these don't have to be all or nothing.

Do I think the PS models are 'better'?

I think they're 'different'. Everyone's going to make up their own minds as to whether different = better. Speaking only for myself, and from personal experience going back to my first one in 2013 while I was still buying Core models at the same time, I think it's fair to say they're a step up.

Last edited:
There are of course no guarantees when it comes to musical instruments.

I think they're 'different'. Everyone's going to make up their own minds as to whether different = better. Speaking only for myself, and from personal experience going back to my first one in 2013 while I was still buying Core models at the same time, I think it's fair to say they're a step up.
Wait a minute.. PS doesn't come with guarantees? And you won't personally underwrite the extended guarantee? That settles it I'm going all se!

That's all the reason right there that we both take the time to have this discussion. Sharing opinions. Hopefully others come along and find this helpful too.

At this level is better even the fair question? Agreed, when thinking PS differnet absolutely comes to mind. That's the point of PS. To put together a different combo than you'll find in regular production. The perfect combo for you in hopes in the end it's a step up.. Otherwise we're back to messaging you for that damn guarantee! :p

Wait a minute.. PS doesn't come with guarantees? And you won't personally underwrite the extended guarantee? That settles it I'm going all se!

That's all the reason right there that we both take the time to have this discussion. Sharing opinions. Hopefully others come along and find this helpful too.

At this level is better even the fair question? Agreed, when thinking PS differnet absolutely comes to mind. That's the point of PS. To put together a different combo than you'll find in regular production. The perfect combo for you in hopes in the end it's a step up.. Otherwise we're back to messaging you for that damn

As my father (RIP) used to say, the only guarantees in life are death and taxes!

The only person responding to OP so far.
andy-griffith-opie-taylor.jpg

Their cheaping out on tuners with those silly new style ones.
When you say 'cheaping out', exactly how much money do you think PRS is saving per guitar with custom-manufactured plastic buttons instead of the generic metal buttons found on guitars from dirt cheap to expensive?

The reason I ask is that I just googled tuning machine knobs in metal and plastic, and you can get a set of six metal knobs for under $5.

A set of Schaller's pearloid plastic replacement knobs is $18.08 at StewMac.

I'm not sure it pays to generalize, but if you have inside info, please share it.

Last edited:
Back