New CE owner - bridge question

It could be the action, or you could just be squeezing too tight. You can lower the action a little to see if it helps (seems like it should), but a lighter grip can help as well. FWIW, even on my lowest action PRSi, regardless of bridge, I can squeeze tight and pull the note out of tune a little.
Thanks @alantig. I'm noticing it much more than I have on other guitars - is it a PRS vs. lesser guitars thing?

@Slo-mo same question I guess... I was mainly switching between Yamaha acoustics, Jackson electrics and Yamaha bass before getting the PRS, so I guess that either I need to adjust my playing style because the PRS has higher frets than I'm used to;
Or, between us, the previous owner and me have knocked it out of factory settings enough to make a difference.

FWIW I didn't have any noticeable issues in the shop, I wish I'd just changed the strings and left changing settings until I was more used to the guitar :-/

Ok I have a theory - tell me if I'm completely wrong though.

This is the before photo:

And here are two after photos:

Is is possible that previous owner had to raise all of the saddles so that the action wasn't too LOW, because they'd set the bottom end of the bridge against the body?

And now that I've raised the back end of the bridge again, the saddles are higher, so the strings are a little higher higher too... not much, but enough to spoil the factory settings?

If that's the case then at least I've found the cause, but I guess I need to adjust 12 tiny saddle screws?

PRS has the factory specs for each guitar on their site under Support, Customer Support Center. If you have a gauge to measure height at 1st & 12th fret, that will show if out of spec. If so, then adjusting saddle height to get to spec may help. Be sure to keep the 2 screws on each saddle level with each other - don't let them be tilted to either side.

Might be different reasons:
-you push to hard on the string which will bend it slightly out of tune
-the floating tremolo now contributes to this it might be moving under your strong fretting

I have set up my CE much lower then the factory specs, but my tremolo is blocked (not decked 😉) and I might be more gentle on the strings. I don’t notice any out of tune notes. If you start fiddling around with your trem height I strongly advised to watch some tutorials, other than on the spring claw screws you can really mess up this one.

Last edited:
Thanks all. My high E is sitting 2mm above the fret and the low E is 2.5mm above - both of those are out of spec but especially the low E (it says 1.9mm max on the link from @Mentalo87 ).

I think at this point I'll go to a professional rather than risk messing it up further myself.

Thanks again all!

Thanks all. My high E is sitting 2mm above the fret and the low E is 2.5mm above - both of those are out of spec but especially the low E (it says 1.9mm max on the link from @Mentalo87 ).

I think at this point I'll go to a professional rather than risk messing it up further myself.

Thanks again all!
Good luck! Hope you get it sorted out.

Back