New bridge on a 30th anniversary 1985-2015 PRS

ticktock

I have a 30th anniversary 1985-2015 PRS 6 string electric. I want a stop bridge with fine tuners (I want to remove the floating bridge). The reason I want a new bridge is because when I rest my palm on the bridge I de-tune the guitar. Any suggestions? BTW, this is my first post, so please feel free to correct my terminology.

Well, more moving parts. More things that can go wrong. Why have fine tuners at the bridge when it doesn’t have a locking nut? There are already great tuners on the headstock. It doesn’t sound like the best idea.
I guess my only answer is any guitar I've used the last 40 yrs has had fine tuners and I'm so used to them. Plus, I like to keep my headstock tuners quite tight, but not overly tight.

Flatten It To The Body So It Doesn't Move.
Thanks for the answer! That's actually how I have it now, but would prefer to have a bridge with fine tuners. I don't need the tremolo bar as I have a 7 string Vai model for all my tremolo needs.

Beyond leaving a fairly large hole in the top of a PRS if you remove the trem bridge and install a stop tail, you can cause another problem.

If memory serves, the neck angle on a stop tail PRS is different from the neck angle on a trem model, because the trem bridge is lower to the body of the guitar.

Any bridge you install would need to sit no higher than the current bridge you own, since otherwise you'd be changing the break angle of the strings. The neck angle and break angle matter both to tone and playability.

Before installing a stop tail, you might want to get more info. A lot more info. You could be opening a larger can of worms than you might think. On the other hand, you could simply have a Floyd Rose installed, and block the trem. That would solve your problem, and the modification would simply be routing the top to accommodate the Floyd.

Thank you. And nor would I do it. In a way, I would think that many people that bought the 30th ann. model would have the same problem as I did - making the guitar go sharp do to your palm resting on the bridge. Maybe I just play weird. Does PRS make a stop tail with fine tuners? (BTW, this is my first day on this forum, so I apologize for my ignorance)

Beyond leaving a fairly large hole in the top of a PRS if you remove the trem bridge and install a stop tail, you can cause another problem.

If memory serves, the neck angle on a stop tail PRS is different from the neck angle on a trem model, because the trem bridge is lower to the body of the guitar.

Any bridge you install would need to sit no higher than the current bridge you own, since otherwise you'd be changing the break angle of the strings. The neck angle and break angle matter both to tone and playability.

Before installing a stop tail, you might want to get more info. A lot more info. You could be opening a larger can of worms than you might think. On the other hand, you could simply have a Floyd Rose installed, and block the trem. That would solve your problem, and the modification would simply be routing the top to accommodate the Floyd.
You know, perhaps I should leave as is as is.

Back