Any jam night commando's?

USMC/CPL

Scooter Trash
On those rare occasions I get to go to any jam nights, I have a few rules/ain't gonna happen kinda tunes!
1. No blues! Come on already.....boring! Old fat guy with a Strat, a hat, and blues deville playing the same song with out lyrics in a different key all night.
2. No freaking Clapton....see rule 1.
3. No Hendrix! Over done! And yes, we see you brought an expensive wah pedal!!
4. Tune your guitar before you get on stage!

Things I like to do to shake things up.
1. Hard rock version of Snoopy and the Red Baron.....some of you are singing it now!
2. Getting the female persuasion to dance. Sorry, I wanna see booties shaking while I'm playing!
3. Freaking the crowd out with some heavy metal oldies.... Elvis, Johnny Cash, Del Shannon, and Blackfoot.
A little sample
[video]https://www.facebook.com/paul.hickman.7/videos/vb.100000652565943/972934882738255/?type=3&theater look[/video]

So what do y'all do?

Last edited:
Play Clapton and Hendrix. My set list includes strange brew, lay down Sally, heads in Georgia, little wing. After that it's on to led Zeppelin and the stones. My mate likes to play country blues and occasionally we do.

I don't do jam sessions. I don't have time to practice at home the way it is so I won't sacrifice any of my time to jam with others.

I'm an old fat guy too, just so tired of the same ol' thing at every jam night.....I run into so many guitar players who only do blues jams, because they never took the time to learn any songs, just 12 bar blues in E, then B.

I heard a couple of guys years ago do a punk rock version of summer of 69.....loved it. Did I mention one guy was playing an accordion!

Blues are the best jamming there is. IMO. Also like second or third tier songs from popular musicians that people like but hardly ever hear live.

If I do a jam, it's with jazz players so we do standards mostly and if we do a blues thing it get's a Wes Montgomery treatment from me.
I'd also do a fusion jam if I knew players that could cover Return to Forever & Weather Report.

I am fortunate enough to be in a band that is gigging plenty, sometimes too much, to a degree that if I have a free night when there are Blues Jams happening around town, I would rather stay home and rest.

4. Tune your guitar before you get on stage!

Definitely!! And for crying out loud, tune 440 like the rest of the world.

I took in a jam last night. There's 3 hours I'll never get back.

And ..... if you're gonna run the jam, calling yourself an experienced player, here's a word of advice. There's only 8 notes in a scale and 12 notes in an octave. Try learnig them before calling yourself a player. I spent half the night showing some guy where to put his fingers to play a 7th or a sus4th or ....well you get the picture.

Like I said .... 3 hours I'll never get back.

For me, a jam session is just that - Simple songs that people can pick up and play chords to fairly quickly and take a turn soloing. To me, for the most part this means blues based songs (Examples - The Thrill is Gone, One Way Out, Old Love, Black Magic Woman etc)

Just my 2 cents.

I like playing a bit of everything, funk, jazz kind of stuff, oldies, rock, and some blues when kept to a controlled chaos. Heck, I'll even sit in with someone who can barely play so they get their stage time too....I've seen to many players run from the stage when beginners sign up. There was a girl one night, a bass player, who wanted to play some rock....iron maiden even.....anyway we settled on some easy Van Halen, then the other guitar player and the drummer started playing whiping post! The girl unplugged and left. Now when I say old farts, I am not some 20 something, I'm pushing 50 with both hands myself, but these two old farts got an earful from me, on stage and in front of everyone! Poor girl's first time at a jam night ruined.

I like playing a bit of everything, funk, jazz kind of stuff, oldies, rock, and some blues when kept to a controlled chaos. Heck, I'll even sit in with someone who can barely play so they get their stage time too....I've seen to many players run from the stage when beginners sign up. There was a girl one night, a bass player, who wanted to play some rock....iron maiden even.....anyway we settled on some easy Van Halen, then the other guitar player and the drummer started playing whiping post! The girl unplugged and left. Now when I say old farts, I am not some 20 something, I'm pushing 50 with both hands myself, but these two old farts got an earful from me, on stage and in front of everyone! Poor girl's first time at a jam night ruined.

See, I just don't get this. I mean, I can see d!cking around with your friends, but not someone you don't know in a situation like that. Not only because you come off like a jack@ss, but from the girl's perspective, why would she ever come back to an open mic at that place again?

Back