Another Fat Guy Thread

There's more and more evidence that sugars (and as mentioned above) some types of carbs are massively contributing to an obesity epidemic. For years it was all about 'low fat' but then the manufacturers loaded up the low fat meals with sugars.

Deep down I know it's about making a lifestyle change rather than a temporary thing to lose weight. That's the hardest thing of all... In some respects I need to change the habits of a lifetime.

Why do some of the worst foods so damned nice?!?!

We have a program at my company called Virgin HealthMiles (is there anything Richard Branson doesn't do?). It sounds a lot like the deal at Boeing, except it's ongoing. The program supports the 30 minutes of exercise per day approach, like in the video Shawn posted. You get points for all your activity and once you reach certain levels you get "health cash" which is a payment made into your Health Savings Account. I love it. It's like free money just for carrying around a pedometer.

I'd love to have something like this at PRS. We're probably too small of a company to sign on to a program like this.

I need to be as tall as this guy...

Stephen-DunnGetty-Images.jpg

Your body doesn't understand you.

It would be cool to do it longer than two months, but I actually walk the lake trails there year round, even in the winter in the rain.
But I get more psyched up when they have this program, and I walk even more.

I have 14,403 steps for the day so far, at home now so I took the pedometer off.
I probably walked over an hour total around the lakes today.
Tons of people out there doing the same thing.

Yeah, it feels great not being tired after lunch like I normally am.
The walking and not eating a big lunch gives me a lot more energy.

I'd love to have something like this at PRS. We're probably too small of a company to sign on to a program like this.

Maybe. Occasionally we have a competition against other companies and they're mostly heavy hitters. The company I work for has about 30,000 employees. A tad larger than PRS. ;-)

I'd bet it's a fairly expensive program. We're actually phasing it out in favor of Optum Health. It doesn't pay out as much, but it doesn't require as much commitment, either.

It would be cool to do it longer than two months, but I actually walk the lake trails there year round, even in the winter in the rain.
But I get more psyched up when they have this program, and I walk even more.

I have 14,403 steps for the day so far, at home now so I took the pedometer off.
I probably walked over an hour total around the lakes today.
Tons of people out there doing the same thing.

Yeah, it feels great not being tired after lunch like I normally am.
The walking and not eating a big lunch gives me a lot more energy.

Rock on, man. I rarely get that many steps walking. I usually only get big numbers when I bring my pedometer cycling.

The dietary key to weight loss and maintaining an even healthy weight is the near complete elimination of simple carbs. This doesn't just mean sugars. White breads, white pastas, potatoes, white rice etc. If its white, it aint any good. Wheat bread is actually not very good unless its whole grain wheat. I cut out all of that....

This!

Carbs are making you hungry because of the insulin up&down.
When you're not into challenging activities like resistance training limit your carbs and eat high protein.
High Protein is keeping you saturated for hours and protecting muscle mass during weight loss.

Im 41years, 6 feet and 170 pounds and I have Jeans waist size 31 since more than 20 years.
If you want to do some activity I would recommend resistance training over cardio.
Resistance training significantly improves testosterone levels in man and more muscle mass means not only easily carrying a 10lb single cut guitar for hours accross the stage :) but also more burned calories during the day.
Cardio makes you hungry so the risk is you eat your just burned calories at the next food binge.

With diets alone you cannot get long term results otherwise the western world people would not look like they look.
Limit carbs, eat high protein and make it a permanent lifestyle plus lift some free weights. Done!

I wish you success achieving your goals!

It was mentioned here about whole wheat bread not being that good for you, and I actually read that about a month back.
They said to get whole grain instead.
Last Sunday at Safeway I was looking for a loaf of bread for both toast and sandwiches, and I ran acorss this brand, and there is a guitar playing guy on the bread bag.
http://www.daveskillerbread.com/

Just abut all of their bread is vegan too, no dairy products in it.
I got this one:
21 Whole Grains and Seeds
http://www.daveskillerbread.com/breads/21-whole-grains.html

21wg-lg.jpg

I have tasted a lot of bread in my life, and this one that I bought it killer tasting.
It may very well be the best tasting bread I have ever had in my life.
The ingredients for it are listed the site.

They employ felons there too to give them a second chance at life, and Dave himself was a felon before returning to the family business.

Back