Another Fat Guy Thread

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
For the past few years here at Boeing they have a program called "Boeing On The Move."
We sign up and join teams, get a free pedometer mailed to our homes, and have a website we keep track of our weight, steps, exercise time, etc...
If we do 13,000 steps a day for the duration of the two month or less program, we get $100 Amazon gift certificate, and lesser steps get a $50 one.

This year the program kicked off on Monday the 2nd of June, and there are a ton of people walking at work.
I am fortunate to work at a huge business park environment with nature trails around two small man made lakes at work.
If anyone is familiar with the old Long Acres horse racing track, this is where the lakes are now.

Every day this week I have been out on the trail at 11 am during my lunch walking for 30 minutes.
Weighed in Monday morning before work, and I was 213.
I think I was around 216 last year at this time before the Boeing program kicked off.
Last year I lost around 10 lbs, but gained it back between Halloween and Christmas.
Those frozen Reese's Peanut Butter Cups do me in every year :D

Anyways, I hope to loose a heck of a lot more this year and stay disciplined during the holidays too.

Here is a starting pic of me at 213 lbs., and will update with another pic at the end of this program we are on.

1.jpg

That's excellent!!

I'm currently working at maintaining my weight...after a decent loss over the last few months....

All I can say is....a good weight loss takes time. Just keep progressing.... 2 to 3 pounds a week is attainable...and very motivating. Make sure you're drinking at LEAST 64 oz of water per day. Just fill up an empty 2L Coke bottle and sip at it. It'll keep you full, and help you get rid of all the crap in your body.

Rule of thumb.....you'll know you're there when your waist size is HALF your height (in inches)..... a 6 ft tall male should be a 36 pant, or smaller.

Don't ever bother with getting all crazy about workouts until you've lost 15 lbs or so.....seriously....why bother moving all that extra weight if you don't need to....and....it's easier on your joints, etc....

a little bit at a time...just keep at it!!

Look forward to your next update :)

Tony

P.S. If you wanna chat "diet and exercise"...drop me a line and we can chat a bit more! [email protected]

Last edited:
I agree with Tony, diet is key. You cannot outrun a poor diet.

I saw a facebook page that talks about a keeping food diary or even a photo food diary, where you document every thing you eat and drink during the course of the day. It makes you very aware of the quantity and quality of food (and drink) you put into your mouth.

Congratulations on a strong start!

Thanks guy's, I do eat pretty healthy, my main problem is inactivity, I drive various equipment for Boeing and sit on my ass most of the time.
I am also a vegetarian, my X got me into it back in '82, so I eat lots of fruit and veggies daily, along with two V8 drinks a day during the work week.

On weekends I drink around 8 16 oz glasses of water, talk about having to go to the bathroom a lot :D
Getting off my keester is the best thing, and doing the fast walking for 30 minutes straight during lunch.
I do not feel as tired after lunch had I sat in the break room with everyone else and had a main meal.

Years ago before computers and TV took up a lot of time, I had a Nordictrack, and I lost around 50 lbs in two months, it just peeled off of me and I was 150 lbs with a 31 to 32" waist.
The metabolism is a lot slower these days, so it does not come off as easily.
This is from around '89, and I was around 150 to 160 in this photo with my two sons.

camp2.jpg

Nine months of hard work down the drain with only three months of slacking... My tits are bangin' right now, I blame it on all the red wine I've been drinking.

I am also a vegetarian,
Right on! I think being veggie is the only reason I don't look like Pavarotti.... yet.

I'm on the high side of my fluctuating range right now. I have severe allergies in April and May. I have to keep my stomach full or the meds can't control my nose. Odd I know, but that's just the way it is. So I gain a few pounds from always eating. Right now I'm 213 and I need to be closer to 200. Last year I got to 209 and that was ok but this year I'd like to make it all the way to 200. Shall we start again?

Portion control is the key, but more exercise never hurts either.

Nine months of hard work down the drain with only three months of slacking... My tits are bangin' right now, I blame it on all the red wine I've been drinking.

Right on! I think being veggie is the only reason I don't look like Pavarotti.... yet.

You're hot enough to rock a Small.

Good luck guys. It really is more about lifestyle than a burst of dieting and exercise. I'm in my mid-50's, an omnivore, work out about five days a week and clocking in with a 33 waist @ 177 lbs at 6 feet. Last year I had ballooned up to 190 after I stopped doing a lot of martial arts. I used to workout to look sexy, now I workout so that I can bend over to cut my toenails.

I hit 17 stone (238lbs) this time last year which is very overweight for my height (5'9"). I have naturally muscular legs and arms and a slight barrel chest so it didn't look quite so bad on me as it would someone else but I still looked bad in photos. Managed to get down to 14.5 stone (203lbs) in 3 months and went from a 36" waist to a 34" which felt great. Put a stone back on over Xmas and I'm really struggling to lose it this time.

Good news is that I'm moving house in 2 weeks so between that, decorating and the fact I'm going to be living near some great biking trails I'm optimistic that I'll shift some weight over the next few months.

15.5 stone currently 217lbs and need to get down to around 13 stone (182lbs) so a long way to go!!!

I've struggled with my weight since I was in my late teens. I was started on Prednisone for cortisol deficiency/Addison's Disease and boy it was a double whammy. Gained weight on it's own doing and plus constant hunger which made me eat more.

Still on Prednisone now and I have early osteoarthritis in my back and hips due to being on growth hormone replacement (which come to find out I didn't need) and also hypothyroidism so mobility is a struggle for me. Couple all that with a true love for American food since childhood and it's not good. Right now I'm at my heaviest (360/6'8). I wasn't heavy before Prednisone but I need it to live. I tried to stop it once without my docs permission and ended up in the back of an ambulance on IVs being rushed to the ER with an adrenal crisis.

Right now I've cut out soda and potato chips which are two of my big problems. I'm still struggling with meal portions but I'm at least getting there. I try to move as much as I can without being in too much pain, which is mainly light walking.

Best of luck to everyone.

This was me pushing 400lbs (on the right)
131694_1559570909289_115471_o_zps9ca6d35d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is me now, at 171lbs

My weight loss was a necessity due to health issues. I thank the good lord above for getting this far.
more power to you on the weight loss!

I've shared this before, but it's it's worth repeating.

A simple approach to a healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job Texas!
I cut soda and fries out and dropped a few pounds pretty quick. Fast food is pretty deadly though I really like it.

Rule of thumb.....you'll know you're there when your waist size is HALF your height (in inches)..... a 6 ft tall male should be a 36 pant, or smaller.

I need to be as tall as this guy...

Stephen-DunnGetty-Images.jpg

We have a program at my company called Virgin HealthMiles (is there anything Richard Branson doesn't do?). It sounds a lot like the deal at Boeing, except it's ongoing. The program supports the 30 minutes of exercise per day approach, like in the video Shawn posted. You get points for all your activity and once you reach certain levels you get "health cash" which is a payment made into your Health Savings Account. I love it. It's like free money just for carrying around a pedometer.

Seems a bit weird that Boeing would only run the program for two months. They incentivize for the summer, but then what? It doesn't drive home the lifestyle change that a lot of people need to make to get fit. Maybe you can convince HR to run it again around the holidays? Everyone needs health motivation then, and who couldn't use an extra $100 that time of the year?

The dietary key to weight loss and maintaining an even healthy weight is the near complete elimination of simple carbs. This doesn't just mean sugars. White breads, white pastas, potatoes, white rice etc. If its white, it aint any good. Wheat bread is actually not very good unless its whole grain wheat. I cut out all of that and now 75% of my carbs if not more are whole grain (would be nearly 100% but I won't cut beer...I just won't!). That and running 3 times a week dropped me from 206 lbs to 190lbs in 3 months. Takes a lot of discipline but not only do I weigh less but my energy throughout the day is more even.

Back