And Then There Were Flying Saucers.

Anything that involves alleged government conspiracies, or fringe "science", is going to bring out the crazy. This one has both!
First, I think you're being a bit harsh. I'm a reasonable person who likes to have open discussions about things that are simply interesting. That's the spirit in which it was offered for discussion.

I'll quote my initial post:

"It could be an elaborate hoax, though it seems plausible. In any case, I'm withholding judgment for obvious reasons. We haven't seen evidence beyond this official's report. So I'm a bit skeptical myself. On the other hand, I found it a fascinating read. So I'm sharing!"

It should be obvious that I posted it because I think it's an interesting read, not because I think it's true.

And as you can see by the tongue-in-cheek title of the thread, I tried to have a little fun with it.

Moving on to the 'fringe science' claim, from what I can see plenty of legit science is involved in exploring the possibility of extraterrestrial life. The search for 'habitable' planets capable of supporting life is something that NASA is involved in. Astronomers are looking for Habitable Zone planets constantly, and reporting their finds.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/resources/323/goldilocks-zone/#:~:text=The%20%27Goldilocks%20Zone%2C%27%20or,––and%20one%20day%20life.

In any case the topic is interesting. If people want to go off on a tangent, that's on them, and I'm not going to feel bad about posting the topic!

First, I think you're being a bit harsh. I'm a reasonable person who likes to have open discussions about things that are simply interesting. That's the spirit in which it was offered for discussion.

I'll quote my initial post:

"It could be an elaborate hoax, though it seems plausible. In any case, I'm withholding judgment for obvious reasons. We haven't seen evidence beyond this official's report. So I'm a bit skeptical myself. On the other hand, I found it a fascinating read. So I'm sharing!"

It should be obvious that I posted it because I think it's an interesting read, not because I think it's true.

And as you can see by the tongue-in-cheek title of the thread, I tried to have a little fun with it.

Moving on to the 'fringe science' claim, from what I can see plenty of legit science is involved in exploring the possibility of extraterrestrial life. The search for 'habitable' planets capable of supporting life is something that NASA is involved in. Astronomers are looking for Habitable Zone planets constantly, and reporting their finds.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/resources/323/goldilocks-zone/#:~:text=The%20%27Goldilocks%20Zone%2C%27%20or,––and%20one%20day%20life.

In any case the topic is interesting. If people want to go off on a tangent, that's on them, and I'm not going to feel bad about posting the topic!
I didn't mean to imply your positions on the matters, I know you wanted to see what people thought. But the topic is fraught. And Now We Are Finding Out The Truths That They Don't Want Us To Know!

The problem with the Loeb peice is that it's not science, for it to be science, it has to be testable. That the object is gone, never to be seen, means you can claim anything you want about it, and it can't be proven or disproven. Therefore it's just wild speculation.

It's like what they say about String Theory, it's not even a bad theory, because it's not testable, therefore not a scientific theory.

You can say a lot of things under the guise of "the math works!", but the math is invented, and there are assumptions behind it that are just hand-waved away, or buried so no one goes back to question them in the first place.

The problem with a lot of advanced science is that you need 2 years of undergrad to just understand the question correctly, and ain't nobody got time for that, so there ends up being a lot of misinformation that we honestly just don't have time in our lives to question.

I didn't mean to imply your positions on the matters, I know you wanted to see what people thought. But the topic is fraught. And Now We Are Finding Out The Truths That They Don't Want Us To Know!

The problem with the Loeb peice is that it's not science, for it to be science, it has to be testable. That the object is gone, never to be seen, means you can claim anything you want about it, and it can't be proven or disproven. Therefore it's just wild speculation.

It's like what they say about String Theory, it's not even a bad theory, because it's not testable, therefore not a scientific theory.

You can say a lot of things under the guise of "the math works!", but the math is invented, and there are assumptions behind it that are just hand-waved away, or buried so no one goes back to question them in the first place.

The problem with a lot of advanced science is that you need 2 years of undergrad to just understand the question correctly, and ain't nobody got time for that, so there ends up being a lot of misinformation that we honestly just don't have time in our lives to question.
Actually, had you read the Loeb book, you'd have seen that he demonstrates that the trajectory the object took as it neared the sun and then, aided by the sun's gravity, exited the solar system, should have followed a predictable curve, similar to the trajectory of other objects in space affected by the gravity of stars and planets.

The trajectory of the object was known, and tracked, plotted and verified by several observers. There's plenty of evidence showing the trajectory. That was provable.

It didn't follow the trajectory the math says it should have done. That's also provable using the laws of physics.

Loeb demonstrated that the trajectory it took was not that of an object occurring in nature using physics and math.

That being the case, he had a theory about what it was - space debris of a certain kind.

Right or wrong, it was a scientific theory. Mathematics and physics are provable. The trajectory of objects in space are subject to rules and laws that can certainly be tested, and have been many times. We use these laws putting objects of our own into space.

I think you're wrong with this anti-Loeb bias. You may not like the guy - based on third party, hearsay opinion that you've adopted as your own, for some reason. That, to me, isn't right to begin with.

However, you ought to have read the work before dismissing it. What you've done instead is made several assumptions without bothering to so much as look at the material.

That, sir, is what's not science. At least I read the damn book before talking about it.

Last edited:
Actually, had you read the Loeb book, you'd have seen that he demonstrates that the trajectory the object took as it neared the sun and then, aided by the sun's gravity, exited the solar system, should have followed a predictable curve, similar to the trajectory of other objects in space affected by the gravity of stars and planets.

The trajectory of the object was known, and tracked, plotted and verified by several observers. There's plenty of evidence showing the trajectory. That was provable.

It didn't follow the trajectory the math says it should have done. That's also provable using the laws of physics.

Loeb demonstrated that the trajectory it took was not that of an object occurring in nature using physics and math.
I think this PBS Space Time video does a good job demonstrating some problems with Loeb's assumptions in the paper, and how it was communicated.

I feel that there's now a book, published by Loeb, further monetizing this idea is rather telling.

I'm not about to support Loeb monetarily, or with my time, which is the most precious resource of all.

It's an issue of trust. Given other professionals in the same field, who I do trust, framing of the issues with him, there's no reason to.

“Meanwhile the Mind of Pittance watched over them, and looked out into the resounding silence and the sun-freckled darkness of the spaces between the stars, forever content and ineffably satisfied with the absence of anything remotely interesting happening.”

Iain M. Banks: "Excession".

I think this PBS Space Time video does a good job demonstrating some problems with Loeb's assumptions in the paper, and how it was communicated.

I feel that there's now a book, published by Loeb, further monetizing this idea is rather telling.

I'm not about to support Loeb monetarily, or with my time, which is the most precious resource of all.

It's an issue of trust. Given other professionals in the same field, who I do trust, framing of the issues with him, there's no reason to.
Honestly, most TV specials are a waste of time. There's always gotta be a hero and a villain. I still think your unusually vehement, ad hominem dismissal of Loeb is out of bounds and closed-minded - it has nothing to do with whether the man is right or wrong - but that's on you. Be that way.

You're usually very open minded, so I'm a bit shocked.

I'll remind you that in my first post I said the Loeb book is controversial.

So? It's still an interesting read from a learned person. Discussing topics like extraterrestrial life doesn't imply belief in Little Green Men. It's just a topic for interesting conversation.

You don't agree with the dude? Cool. But whether or not you like his personality and self promotion has absolutely nothing to do with whether his theory is interesting, or worthy of discussion.

There was plenty of criticism and controversy over Einstein's theories until 20 or so years later the theory that gravity bends light was proven after the end of WWI. Hell, Galileo was put under house arrest for his book. Demonizing people who reach certain scientific conclusions is nothing new. Copernicus was vilified for his fame and controversial idea that the sun was stationary, until he wasn't.

The world, including the scientific world, has always taken comfort in orthodoxy.

Loeb is neither Galileo nor Copernicus nor Einstein. But he's still a bright person with something to say.

Seems to me that science ought to be about the ability of scientists to freely question each other - without resorting to pointless ad hominem attacks - and challenge their theories. So controversy among people who actually do know something about what they're talking about isn't bothersome.

Unfortunately, like most other human things, there's back-biting, politics, resentment, and competition in the scientific world. I see it in every field of endeavor. I saw it in so many different industries and professions when I litigated back in the day. But engaging in it doesn't make anyone's argument more impressive or true.

Ancient Roman litigators used to argue their cases by impugning the integrity of the other lawyer; it was standard and approved practice! We moderns don't do that any more in courts of law for obvious reasons. It's irrelevant to the case.

I try to at least listen/engage in discussion if the speaker teaches at a good university. Usually the perspectives are interesting and worthy of consideration.

I can't imagine any subject of scientific inquiry that's more important than knowing if mankind is alone in the universe. So I don't think this topic is, or should be, considered nuts at all. Evidently you do - again, that's not a concern I have.

On another front, there was an article and podcast interview with the reporter who broke the story today in the Times about the thing with the intelligence officer. True or not, it's also an interesting story worth discussion, and it's at least being explored in a serious way.

Obviously it offends you, so don't participate. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it makes no sense to me to bolster a scientific argument by engaging in personality attacks.

Last edited:
And then it all vanishes, with no explanation, including the story! Kind of like that post I had just finished reading and tried to "Like"!!
Oh it's definitely true then.....
The government deep sixed it.:p
I'm sure conspiracy theorists could have a field day with stuff like this.

Back