Album release days?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So it used to ALWAYS pretty much be Tuesdays for new albums to come out. I've noticed 3 albums I've pre ordered have Friday release dates. I always thought from a marketing perspective Tuesday great for promo...back into the swing of things for the week....the mundane routine...Tuesday was a good day to promo. People want something to excite them and get 'em through the week. Friday always seemed a bad day, people already checked out, thinking the weekend and what they were doing, etc.

Are Friday music releases a new trend? Or just a coincidence I have 3 this month? I've been a little outta touch recently because there hasn't been much of interest to me being released.

I agree on the release everything on one day everywhere point, just unsure Friday is the best day. It doesn't matter to me really, I was just curious. Had no idea it was moved, so thanks for the info!

The BBC and Sony (in cahoots) used to control release dates here (UK) and possibly everywhere else. The BBC liked new singles released on a Tuesday so that the releases would have chance to get to No.1 by the time they aired "Top of the Pops" on a Thursday. We used to have an album chart show on radio on a Sunday where new releases were played/discussed/whatever. What effect that had on the album charts I'm not sure but, I'm sure, guaranteed more money to those who already have enough.

my new album is scheduled to be released on the 12th of Never. Not sure what day of the week that falls on. :)

Back