Aftermarket 408's

Would you have the PTC install 408's?

• Total voters

s.fitzsimmons

Serial Acquisitionist
I know that they're not available currently through the PTC, but if it was an option, would you go for it? I'm guessing a fair amount of work including refinish, routing, and filling would come in to play. It probably wouldn't be cheap, but I can think of at least one of my guitars that could use a refinish and 408's. How about you?

Last edited:
I know that they're not available currently through the PTC, but if it was an option, would you go for it? I'm guessing a fair amount of routing would go in to fitting the bridge pickup, and likely some filling of the neck pickup cavity. It probably wouldn't be cheap, but I can think of at least one of my guitars that could use a refinish and 408's. How about you?
If Brazilian Rosewood McCarty's with P90's weren't so #$%^ hard to find (there are only about 12 of them) I would love to have one routed for 408's.

If they weren't so freaking ugly...

Yeah! I want the 59-year-old rectangular design back too! And while you're at it... I want big collar shirts with plaid polyester pants, shiny white belts, and matching patent leather shoes. Extra points if you can get a reliable supplier for power-blue leisure suits. I'd tell you spoiled-rotton kids all about the way things were back in '55 but I gotta go shampoo my brown shag carpet and wipe down my avacado appliances.

Now get off my lawn!

:D

;)

Last edited:
Other cool things from 1955...

PE_Apr_1955_Cover.jpg

MoveilandPinupsv1n1-1955m.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-300_SLR_1955_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

1955-Ford-Mystique.jpg

Last edited:
I have a feeling it would be pretty dang expensive. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth it though, if you had the money. It might be possible to just route the rear pickup cavity a little wider, and then use a pickup ring that would would make up the empty space. In fact you might have to do that, I'm no finish expert but it seems like it would be tough to fill in lost space on a figured top without it being really obvious.
Speaking of aftermarket pickups, any word on 57/08's, etc. being sold without a trip to the PTC? I understood it when they were a specialty thing, but since they're standard production on so many guitars now... I know, probably an annoying question to ask, but I wasn't around on the forums when this was probably originally discussed!

I've asked Paul on several occasions about selling the 57/08 pups, but he feels strongly about not selling them. As long as his name is on the building, he has the final say and I'll only press my luck so far. :)

The 408 pickups wont fit a standard sized pickup cavity so that creates another wrinkle in and of itself.

I have a feeling it would be pretty dang expensive. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth it though, if you had the money. It might be possible to just route the rear pickup cavity a little wider, and then use a pickup ring that would would make up the empty space. In fact you might have to do that, I'm no finish expert but it seems like it would be tough to fill in lost space on a figured top without it being really obvious.
Speaking of aftermarket pickups, any word on 57/08's, etc. being sold without a trip to the PTC? I understood it when they were a specialty thing, but since they're standard production on so many guitars now... I know, probably an annoying question to ask, but I wasn't around on the forums when this was probably originally discussed!

If they weren't so freaking ugly...

Aw heck, Z, if you got one, you'd just whack a big hole, put in some plugs where the stoptail studs were removed, and stick a big nasty piece of chrome in there anyway.

And you'd do it 'cause you feel it sounds better that way!

So who cares what the pickups look like? It's supposed to be about the sound, right?

I think a lot of people were taken aback when they first saw 408 pickups. I wasn't big on their looks but I've definitely come around.

That said, I also used to prefer the look of covered pickups by a mile, but probably lean towards uncovered (aesthetically) now. I
Still want to do a 53/10 in a SE Korina One

McARTY 57-08+ KORINA 1812+ McARTY with BRAZILLIAN fingerboard= ONE SIGNATURE LIMITED!!! how's that trade grab you boy's ?????? The one thing you fellers don't seem to get... YOU'RE NOT TAKING ANY OF THESE GUIT'S WITH YOU,WHEN YOU MOVE ON TO THE BIG MUSIC STORE IN THE SKY!! So have as many as you can,while you can. Enjoy them,for it's just a temperary loan. Every guit you hang onto,is one less you'll get to play in you're life.Now get out there and play those guit's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a goldtop mcsoapy waiting for the day when the PTC will route it for 408s and drill a couple of holes for the mini toggles.

Just sayin'

I foresee pickup makers building 408 sized pups in the very near future. The popularity of them will dictate the market. I've talked to a few pickup makers myself & don't be surprised to see them start to pop up. Get your routers ready!! Mine is...... Maybe that purty gtr I just got from Brent could use a 408 style in the bridge!!

That 300SL is so the Coolest.Car.Ever.

I voted "Depends", as this appears to be quite an invasive procedure. I would so love to try the 408s, but haven't seen any guitars around that have them.

I love the sound and the looks of the 408 pickups. I think that they are the best looking of any uncovered pickup. They are distinctive and I am glad that they are a non-standard size. When you see them, you know it is a PRS Guitar. I personally would not convert any guitar to use the 408 pickup, I would just buy a PRS that has them already. In a way, they are another example of Paul's brilliant marketing.

Back