Affording PRS Guitars

I am 32 with a good job, wife and kid.. (probably soon to be kids) We're not flush, but we're not without either. The company I work for has a profit share arangement so working hard and hitting targets at work help me earn some extra cash so I normally use that money to buy guitars. I have gotten 3 USA PRS's an SE Amp and a Martin guitar that way!

My wife and I both work. We pay ourselves an allowance each that goes toward eating out, buying guitars (she's a bass player) and other gear, concerts, or whatever else we want that's non-essential. The allowance is smaller now than it was before we had kids, and of course the purchasing power of those dollars is less now than it was when we married in 2002 and decided on how we'd do our finances. However, it's still an arrangement that works really well for us. I can't buy as much as I used to, but I'm also a lot more picky and less likely to do the buy-sell game. I put in so much money (and thought and energy) over a 10-12 year period, upgrading everything basically, now I have stuff that's nice and there isn't much I could do to improve.

Before we had kids, I bought my 1st PRS (USA Custom 22, in 2006) new through a combo of selling off a bunch of gear I wan't using, and putting a few hundred dollars on the credit card that I paid off in a couple months. After that I saved for another year, bought no guitars, and bought my 2nd USA PRS used.

I pay for my axes. Still play out and record. My collection is nearly complete, and will stay with me till time is done. That was my plan since the age of 26. I saved for everyone of these guitars. Patience and time.
My Wife and I had an understanding when we first met. We keep our own finances to ourselves. Though, all responsibilities get paid and/or taken care of. With my sons in tow as well. We also discussed who makes more, and so the responsibility part is adjusted. We both work as well, as she wants to work. I never have to worry about food in the house, household goods and health care deductions or her car payments and insurance. I must do the same on my part.
We have never had a fight over money in the ten years we have been together. It also allows independence to us both, so I never have to do the "ask and/or check with the wife crap" though we do talk of plans as discussions. I also gift on my part as does she, that is just part of being in love with someone not a trade...
I agree with just saving and enjoying.

I buy my guitars, I don't get freebies, gifts etc. I don't do YouTube demos and push products and kiss a@@ to get gear. I work hard and am blessed.

I've got a decent job but still don't have a ps or an artist yet. Workin at possibly getting an artist grade or a 10 top this year. I love what I have more than words can describe.

My daughter plays too, she takes some of my guitar budget up lol....she needs to get a job ! Lol

Not me, I'm a bottom-feeder with a Peter Pan complex.

How come nobody has a Captain Hook complex?

Don't you dare point that clock at me.

I buy my guitars, I don't get freebies, gifts etc. I don't do YouTube demos and push products and kiss a@@ to get gear.

Please explain to me how that works! I would absolutely do YouTube demos, push products and kiss ass to get freebies and gifts! :top:

Last edited:
How come nobody has a Captain Hook complex?

Dialog from the film "One Fine Day"

Melanie: Your Peter Pan complex is so 90s.
Jack: What Peter Pan complex?
Melanie: The one you're so proud of.
Jack: Do you have any friends?
Melanie: I don't have time for friends.
Jack: That's because of your Captain Hook complex.

Dialog from the film "One Fine Day"

Melanie: Your Peter Pan complex is so 90s.
Jack: What Peter Pan complex?
Melanie: The one you're so proud of.
Jack: Do you have any friends?
Melanie: I don't have time for friends.
Jack: That's because of your Captain Hook complex.

Hahahaha! Thank you for that! ;)

Bought my first PRS, a standard from Sam Ash in late 2001. I went in to buy a Les Paul Black Beauty and ended up getting approved for a Sam Ash card with a ridiculously high limit with no interest, so I payed cash and credit. The Custom 24 I happened to have an LP doublecut that was in a color they only made 400 of, so it turned out to be worth enough that I sold it and threw in a few hundred for the Cu24. The McCarty Hollowbody I got rid of my a rare flying V for and put the little rest on a card. Moral of the story, PRS makes Gibson's look unappealing :p

I'm really good at negotiation and never pay whatever it says on the price tag. That helps.

I am lucky to have a decent paying job, not getting rich, but it pays well. I save up birthday gifts, Chistmas gifts, anniversary gifts, etc., and tell my wife I want a guitar instead. I don't have any other expensive hobbies, and I'm willing to trade/sell gear I have for something I want. I have a great wife ho likes to see me happy. That helps a lot.
Rob, it's not nice to call your wife a ho;)
I sold a ton of old Star Wars toys to buy my 1st PRS. I got a decent paying job and used tax refunds each year toward a new or used PRS. I bought a house this year, so that's slowed down my gear consumption but I'm currently working on putting together my music room.

I'm really good at negotiation and never pay whatever it says on the price tag. That helps.

I have a really good relationship with my vendors, and never really have to haggle.

I don't enjoy the process of haggling anyway. Some people do, and are very good at it. But the main reason I don't like it is because I hate when my clients haggle with me. I price fairly, and I always resent a deal when I'm forced to do something I can't make a decent profit on.

So...the golden rule and all...

Last edited:
Rob, it's not nice to call your wife a ho;)

Ooooffff! Thanks Vaughn! She had back surgery 4 weeks ago and now I'm doing all the work she used to, keeping me away from the forum. Maybe that was just some repressed feelings escaping. 8 more weeks...

Please explain to me how that works! I would absolutely do YouTube demos, push products and kiss ass to get freebies and gifts! :top:

My dream for a while was to have PRSh see me play his guitars. My hope was that he would pay me to never do that in public again. :laugh:

Back