Affording PRS Guitars

Ooooffff! Thanks Vaughn! She had back surgery 4 weeks ago and now I'm doing all the work she used to, keeping me away from the forum. Maybe that was just some repressed feelings escaping. 8 more weeks...
:D
My job and house have been keeping me away. Sucks, I feel WAY outta the loop these days. :(

Like Les said...

qsjceo.jpg

Music is my main hobby - it helps me keep my sanity (seriously).

Doesn't hurt to throw a little custom bauble the wife's way every 25 years or so...

necklace.jpg

And it helps if she knows where her bread is buttered...

carol.jpg

My wife and I are both 49, we both have decent jobs. We only have one kid left at home and we don't live in a huge fancy house just a ranch style built in the 70s. my wife buys a new car every 5-6 years but I drive a 2002 E-350 ford van (band vehicle).

I do own a ton of gear, been collecting gear for 30 years. I'm that guy that buys but almost never sells gear too. My gear purchases go hand in hand with how much we gig, if we dial back dates I dial back purchases and I never buy gear on credit.

I buy what I want if I have the cash and I make sure she has lots of diamonds. The diamond thing really isn't because I want to buy more guitars, its because I want to do these things for her and she looks good wearing them.

FWIW- My wife bought a 2000 McCarty and gave it to me as a gift for no reason, just because. She is a keeper for many many reasons.

Work hard.
Save money.
:dontknow:
Exactly.
I see many here at work who buy their lunch everyday at the cafeteria, and I know they are dropping $10 or more per day on lunch and perhaps breakfast too.
I use to buy lunch on Fridays, or mid week when they were having Taco Salads, but since going on a diet and doing this walking thing at work, I have not spent a dime here for a month.

All that eating out adds up whether at work or on weekends.
I hardly eat out at restaurants anymore, and weekends I am barbequing kabobs at home.
Lots of ways to save money and make your wall of tone at home grow from one guitar into many :D

Also have been driving the same rig since July of 2006, barely broken in yet.

This is funny. I was talking to my luthier last night and he teaches a luthier course at the local college. He only takes 6 students at a time however between the six of them ,there was 113 guitars......

I steal money from hookers to afford it. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I've done it two ways - saved up for it (took over a year), and on the other i used Sweetwaters 3-year free credit. But i also haven't bought any of the private stock/custom hobbies, i don't know if i'll ever be able to justify the cost until the kid is out of the house. My wife has a big account she's trying to land, and if she does, it will be some primo $$$'s. She said i could have any one thing i wanted as a celebration present, so guess what i told her it would be? :p22:

I steal money from hookers to afford it. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I've done it two ways - saved up for it (took over a year), and on the other i used Sweetwaters 3-year free credit. But i also haven't bought any of the private stock/custom hobbies, i don't know if i'll ever be able to justify the cost until the kid is out of the house. My wife has a big account she's trying to land, and if she does, it will be some primo $$$'s. She said i could have any one thing i wanted as a celebration present, so guess what i told her it would be? :p22:

I hope your story has a happing ending!

I buy nice guitars at REALLY low prices from FeeBay, Craig's List, clearance sales, etc. then sell them for more than I paid. Use that profit to continue the cycle to finance KEEPER guitars. Almost every guitar I own is for sale somewhere, so if you see something you like, send me a PM.

I have my dream PS design that keeps me busy and keeps changing every time I see some of the amazing designs you guys come up with, which will have to wait a few years.

Beyond that the used market is great for high quality gear at more affordable prices. When I see something I want I'll move some gear, work a trade or tap the guitar fund. Doesn't always work out but that's the thrill of the hunt.

I'm slowly getting to the point where I am very happy with my core gear. To me that means I may be ready to start saving for the dream PS!

BROKE AS HELL but loving it and always looking out for the next one........................................

Back