Affording PRS Guitars

SrgEx951x

I know many of you are lovers of PRS Guitars, but I have a question: how do you afford multiple high-end PRS guitars without making a hole in your pocket?

Private Stockor even regular guitars are very expensive, or having multiple regular PRS' s is also expensive.

Do your wives ever get mad at you for buying guitars, or are you single?

As stated above save your money and keep your eye on the prize.
Also look for used instruments.
My fiancee and I have an agreement regarding guitars. I am open about what I buy and I never allow it to interfere with our finances (no matter how strong the GAS gets).

I also think a lot of the guys are older with good jobs. (Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen.)

All of the above. Set a goal and save for it. I don't buy guitars on credit so saving for it is the only way for me. Also, some have a "one in one out" policy (I don't have one), but it means you can trade up and add a little cash and eventually you get to your desired guitars.

And about wives, mine got me a used Cu24AP as a wedding anniversary present this year. I got her jewelry. Both happy.
20140708_121918_zpsdf215aa7.jpg

3rd_zps95ff60f2.jpg

I also think a lot of the guys are older with good jobs. (Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen.)

For me it's having a better job than before. It's helped me pick up two this year. (still waiting for the second one to get here) I feel very lucky.

Some of the Private Stock collections on here are insane but if you've got the money, why not?

Until we had kids, my wife and I were both working and I never had an issue affording new gear. I have to admit that since then - with bills for 4 people all coming from my salary - it's not as easy and I've done my fair share of credit buying. That's something I'm determined to stop now so all my recent purchases have been the result of consolidating by selling multiple items and using the funds to cover the full cost of a smaller - but higher quality/optimised - set of gear. Quality - not quantity is my new goal!

So ... much as I may really like the look of the new S2 Mira Semi-Hollow, I refuse to let myself buy one until I have the money. Which may be several years. But that's okay: I'm gonna get out and gig as much as I can with my band and enjoy making music with the stuff I have. :)

How do I afford multiples? Well, right now I don't. :( I bought my three PRS guitars in my 20's when my financial responsibilities were pretty light. My priorities have been elsewhere the last few years, so I don't buy guitars for now. Some day, I'd like to. PRS are on a roll these days. I sold my CU24 to fund a different guitar that I would play more often. So in reverse, you can sell off other gear that you won't want anymore to help fund a PRS.

The used market is great, so that's the best option when your budget is tight. They're such durable guitars and people generally take great care of them.

Budget smart, be patient, and save.

I know some guys do it, but I don't support the buying of guitars without the wife's knowledge and approval.

I have a limit of two guitars (my limit not my wife's) because I don't gig and don't see the need to have more than two. Second, I stay within the SE range as I never pay over $1000 for a single guitar. Lastly, watch for sales! The SE-7 that I have my eyes on is currently on clearance at 2 GC's in my area and one of them will be mine by the weekend (barring something going wrong)!!!

That would be my description.
Making the most money ever, and set to retire in less than five years.
My son's are also grown, and no wife to complain on what I spend mg $$$ on.

Great topic.

I'm 37. So, I'm not "older"...at least I hope not...yet!. I do have a good job. I'm a small business owner. However, its not all about making decent money. I know plenty of people who live paycheck to paycheck while making 6 figures. Why? They eat out 3 times a week. They drive $60k cars. They insist on top flight houses and top flight stuff in them. The keys to affording any kind of luxury/hobby is living 2 or 3 steps below what you are capable of living. I could have easily afforded twice the house I am in now. Why didn't I go for twice the house? I don't have foolish pride where I have to live in an upper class area in a mansion. That isn't me. I hardly eat out. Love to cook at home. I do most of the work in and out of my house. I mow my own lawn and do my own landscaping, as opposed to a service. I keep the house slightly warm in the summer and slightly cool in the winter. I buy a new basic truck every 7 or 8 years and drive it into the ground. All of that stuff can accumulate to wads of cash in the pocket to afford things like guitars....even expensive ones. I don't go crazy. I buy about a guitar a year. My guitar this year was an MC58 in the GC clearance.

As for me, I don't buy new ones, I go for one owner 'used' because, believe it or not, some Core Line axes can be bought for half off retail since Austin is more Tele/Strat/Gibson territory.

Agree with others...all of the above.

Personally, I'm firmly in the 'used' camp. I almost never buy anything with a substantial price tag new (that goes for guitars, cars, stereo equipment, computers, etc.). Saving on those other items allows me more play money for guitars and gear.

Currently, quality guitars seem to be a fairly stable market/asset (I say currently, because you never know what can happen). You can buy a nice used one, try it out, and if it's not your cup of tea, sell it for close to what you paid...sometimes less, sometimes more. Obviously the key is that you actually know what you're looking at, and have the time to hunt for good deals. On PRS USA models, that can mean thousands of $'s difference between new and used in some cases. That adds up in a hurry!

I am lucky to have a decent paying job, not getting rich, but it pays well. I save up birthday gifts, Chistmas gifts, anniversary gifts, etc., and tell my wife I want a guitar instead. I don't have any other expensive hobbies, and I'm willing to trade/sell gear I have for something I want. I have a great wife who likes to see me happy. That helps a lot.

Last edited:
While I'm not too old, I have a good job with no wife and kids. This definitely makes it easier as I don't have to provide for others. Also as others have said I trade and often buy used gear to help cover costs.

Or you can say I'm a hooker like Les :rofl:.

Back