About to buy my first PRS. I think...

FrankW

Hello everyone!

I was hoping to draw on your collective expertise. I am interested in buying a PRS.
It will be the first PRS I have ever owned, it's used and is in need of some work. I don't mind that though because I know my way around a guitars innards.

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's even a real PRS. Can you help me identify it's make and model?

The add describes it as: 'a PRS guitar. Wiring and pots missing. Original pickups. Good condition'

This is one of the photo's posted with the add:
7bIEm4y.jpg

First the body: black with possibly a metallic flake in it? Room for 3 pots (volume, tone and pu selector toggle?) Looks like a Custom 22 to me. Note the distinct cut-out in the upper horn. I looked at some pictures online and this seems to be normal for older models. Around 2000 it seems the cut-out became smoother.
Neck: set neck, lightly colored fretboard and headstock (maple?), black bird inlays and 24 frets. Truss rod cover seems wrong. Letters of the logo are rather thick, not like the delicate pinstripe-like letters of the modern logo.

The guy swears that, as far as he knows, it's the real deal. But he hasn't given me a serial nr.
It doesn't look like any PRS I know. That saying, I'm no expert.

Any idea what model it might be? Or if it even is a real PRS at all?
I wouldn't like to give up an entire afternoon driving for a fake one. Even a good one.

Wrote an email before my first post. He dropped his price. I asked him again for the serial. Told him where he could find. Waiting for his reply. If he can't give a serial I'm out.

The same money for this thing + replacement parts will (almost) get me a higher end SE. Not going spend that on a fake obviously

Thanks for all the replies!

It's a fake, and not even a good one. The upper horn carve is wrong, the knob recesses are wrong, the TRC is wrong, the bridge is wrong, and the tuners are wrong, the label is wrong, and the headstock shape is incorrect.

Other than being completely wrong, and a crap copy, it's obviously a great piece of firewood, so buy it if you need something to burn.

Hello and welcome. Maybe the seller genuinely believes it is real (would love to hear the story about the missing pots). However, do not waste anymore of your time considering this thing. Many more PRS guitars out there. And you cannot go wrong with the SE models. If the idea of 24 frets with trem appeals to you then the SE Standard 24 would be worthy of your consideration.

"Dear Frank,

I looked at the places you indicated and in all the body cavities. No numbers or markings anywhere. I bought it in this state as a project but never got around to it. Are you telling me I wasted €350 on a non-working fake?!

Gr. Seller"

Don't know if he's telling the truth but if he is... Ouch. Will pass on this one. I had my doubts but you guys confirmed it.
Again, thank you everyone.

Maybe he will amend the advertisement or even better remove it and contact the person who sold it to him, and receive a similar explanation :)

Well, had a final talk the guy and to his credit he did change his ad. It's now a "PRS copy. Only humbuckers, all other electronics missing: €50, negotiable". He had some other stuff listed (among others a SE EG with trem). He did have serials for those and they checked out. Seems he was sincere. Doesn't make me buy it though...

I have spotted a four months old SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue (2017 model). Lots of good quality pictures (serial is ok), gigbag, papers and receipt all included. The owner likes it so much he needs to make room for a Core range one. Will keep you posted!

id always say buy from a legitimate dealer. the way fakes are going im reluctant to buy anything second hand without inspecting it first :(

@daveyrocks

Hello and welcome. When confidence in the second user market falls so will its value and people will begin to take the depreciation factor a little more seriously when considering to buy a new guitar. It is quite sad really.

Nothing wrong with buying a nice used guitar either as long as you're sure it's legit. Let us know!

Back