A very brief trip to Nashville

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Ended up with a couple hours in Nashville yesterday, so of course I took advantage and hit up Gruhn and Carter Vintage. Got to play some stuff I've never been able to play around the Cincinnati area, and quite enjoyed it. Gruhn has more Martins than I've ever seen in one place! Also, lots of other stuff.

I got to play Collings, Martin, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Lowden, Oregon Breedlove...some notes

Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 - nice, deep, very full and dry sound. Played really well.

Collings D1AV - I was expecting more wow factor. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice, but I now really understand why I've heard people say that Eastmans sound a lot like Collings, because it sounded a whole lot like my E6D-TC, at 4 times the price. I didn't get to play them side by side, since I didn't have my Eastman with me, but the vibe was very similar.

Lowden The Old Lady - quite possibly the loudest acoustic I have ever played, and chock full of overtones. Sounded utterly amazing, but would so not be the right guitar to accompany my singing, which is my primary style.

Martin D-28 Satin - Sounded surprisingly dull - I expected to like it, and I just didn't. Also, I don't care for the satin amberburst in person.

Martin D-18 Standard - had to play something as a control, since I didn't have any of mine with me. I'm a sucker for Sitka over Mahogany, and it didn't disappoint.

Santa Cruz Dread - not recalling the model, because I hated the neck instantly.

Bourgeois - played a couple, a slope and something smaller - sounded good but I hated the neck.

Oregon Breedlove - GA-ish in size, sounded nice but didn't wow me.

At the end of the day, I prefer my Guild D-40E to any of them except the Lowden, which isn't for me. Runner up would be the D-18 Standard.

There is practically NO beating a D-18 in my book. Every single one of them I've ever played has been stellar.

And yet, do I have one? No. Travesty, right? But I do have a 000-18 that had been displayed at NAMM, and which I just happen to think is also one of the best-sounding acoustic guitars I've ever played, so...

Nice!

Went to Carter’s once and liked it… amazing amount of inventory. Should have looked harder at some vintage amps, they had a good selection. Didn’t hit Gruhn, and still kick myself!

Actually on a layover to Southern Cali for a wedding that we’re making a week of, might try to get to Music Store Live, they’ve got a Magnatone Super 59 and Friedman Smallbox I’d like to get my hands on. We don’t get such things in West Michigan!

Back