'97 Custom 24 - First PRS!

Kalamazuu

'97 Custom 24
Just got my first PRS! A 1997 Custom 24

After looking at a bunch I was going to get an S2, then came across this and it was quite a bit less expensive than most others I had seen so I jumped on it. I was quite nervous about the Wide Thin neck since there were no PRSs in town to try out, but I don't find it to be all that wide at all, or too thin.

Bridge pickup has been replaced with a SD '59. So far it's doing okay, I may look at swapping it, I usually play metal or hard rock.

The different switching options sound very good clean, and I'm still experimenting with them with gain. I have very little single coil experience and was surprised to see the switch positions weren't just a split coil by themselves like on a coil tapped Les Paul.

I am also wondering if you guys would know what the neck pickup would be. I believe it's original.

I'm also wondering what the official color name is, the seller called it purple, and it looks kind of wine red.

Well I feel like I'm rambling but so far I am thrilled with it. It's very comfortable and 2lbs lighter than my Heritage H-157 (Les Paul Custom style.)

I didn't get bird inlays like I wanted but the moons are a very nice touch.

And I like the trem, I've never had one with with springs.

Aq45V3k.jpg

1HGjox7.jpg

gZhWwJp.jpg

O1LsdS7.jpg

Y5Saq3v.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a little surprised how different it sounds from my LP style guitar. I knew it would be different and I'm glad it is. Granted there's a lot of factors, different pickups and everything too.

Congrats!! I almost purchased that one. Great price and Beautiful guitar!!

There's a good chance that used to be purple. I have a McCarty from the same year (with moons too) that has lost most of the blue in the purple so now it's more red/pink.

If you really want to know the color, pull the pickups out and it should be listed under one of them and if it has faded, you'll see the original color under the pickup rings.

Here's what mine looks like.
TRwyl3h.jpg

I don’t think so. They stopped using BRW boards on production guitars @1990/1991.

Gotcha, I would've been surprised on a guitar like this, I usually only see them on higher tier models. I didn't reload the page before my last reply so I didn't see your earlier comment

There's a good chance that used to be purple. I have a McCarty from the same year (with moons too) that has lost most of the blue in the purple so now it's more red/pink.

If you really want to know the color, pull the pickups out and it should be listed under one of them and if it has faded, you'll see the original color under the pickup rings.

Here's what mine looks like.
TRwyl3h.jpg

Awesome thanks for sharing! I'll check when it needs new strings for sure. Purple would've been cool but I like the red too

Back