'96 PRS CE 22 Gold Holoflake

That is an awesome guitar. I am jealous now too. That is right up my alley.

All of the flake finishes are done in small numbers by PRS. I have a Starla that I ordered in a flake finish back in 2009. I learned that the only sprayed flake finishes once a month back then. I had to wait a good while to get mine because of that. They try to group them up. The reason they told me is that the equipment is a real pain to clean after they spray the falke finishes and it has to be done perfectly or they run the risk of a piece of the flake ending up in the finish of a different finish like a burst that would then have to be stripped and refinished. It can be really costly for them to have to do that so they really put a lot of attention into the cleaning of the equipment. On top of that, as mentioned, they also don't sell a lot of these types of finishes. Part of that may be how much of a pain spraying and cleaning can be. It takes more man hours to do all of that.

That is an awesome guitar. I am jealous now too. That is right up my alley.

All of the flake finishes are done in small numbers by PRS. I have a Starla that I ordered in a flake finish back in 2009. I learned that the only sprayed flake finishes once a month back then. I had to wait a good while to get mine because of that. They try to group them up. The reason they told me is that the equipment is a real pain to clean after they spray the falke finishes and it has to be done perfectly or they run the risk of a piece of the flake ending up in the finish of a different finish like a burst that would then have to be stripped and refinished. It can be really costly for them to have to do that so they really put a lot of attention into the cleaning of the equipment. On top of that, as mentioned, they also don't sell a lot of these types of finishes. Part of that may be how much of a pain spraying and cleaning can be. It takes more man hours to do all of that.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Okay, I've spoken to the original owner of this guitar and have some interesting information:

He used to work for PRS and is still very good friends with Paul. This guitar was showcased at NAMM in 1996 and the first and only year of the true "Holoflake" (and not other "sparkle" iterations that PRS now has and has had in the past).

They made 5 bolt-ons and 5 set necks in the Holoflake finishes (Gold, Silver, Blue, Green, and Red) to showcase.

There was one individual who painted these finishes and he apparently passed away in a sky diving accident after doing these ten guitars. Paul then commited to these ten being the only Holoflake guitars that were to be made.

Okay, I've spoken to the original owner of this guitar and have some interesting information:

He used to work for PRS and is still very good friends with Paul. This guitar was showcased at NAMM in 1996 and the first and only year of the true "Holoflake" (and not other "sparkle" iterations that PRS now has and has had in the past).

They made 5 bolt-ons and 5 set necks in the Holoflake finishes (Gold, Silver, Blue, Green, and Red) to showcase.

There was one individual who painted these finishes and he apparently passed away in a sky diving accident after doing these ten guitars. Paul then commited to these ten being the only Holoflake guitars that were to be made.
Very cool!

That’s weird. I worked at a music store in St. Louis then and we had a gold holoflake and a silver holoflake CE come through our shop around that time (new from the factory, not used ones.) Is he sure there were only ten total? These were holoflakes, not just sparkle finishes. I can’t imagine that we somehow got two of only ten.

That’s weird. I worked at a music store in St. Louis then and we had a gold holoflake and a silver holoflake CE come through our shop around that time (new from the factory, not used ones.) Is he sure there were only ten total? These were holoflakes, not just sparkle finishes. I can’t imagine that we somehow got two of only ten.
Yeah, that is interesting! Do you remember if they were both the same CE? I also emailed PRS and based on my serial number they said they didn't have any records of it except that it was a CE22. So I sent photos of the guitar and the pickup covers which they then confirmed what it was/when it was manufactured. But that's all the info they had on it.

Yeah, that is interesting! Do you remember if they were both the same CE? I also emailed PRS and based on my serial number they said they didn't have any records of it except that it was a CE22. So I sent photos of the guitar and the pickup covers which they then confirmed what it was/when it was manufactured. But that's all the info they had on it.

I don’t remember for sure. I know the gold one was a CE-24 because if it was a CE-22 I probably would have bought it. The silver one I don’t remember for sure, it may have even been a Standard but I’m pretty sure it was a CE. But I’m sure the hang tags said Holoflake.

DjIYKJxV4AAWizR
This is one of the best replies I've ever seen. Thank you hahaha

Reactions: jxe
Back