Real meaning of CE…

XSToneTherapy1982

Hello fellow, PRS lovers.
I have a beautiful 2021 CE 24 in Faded Grey Black that I bought during the pandemic.
That guitar got me super interested in the brand and being the nerd that I am, I proceeded to read and watch everything I could about PRS.
The reason for this post is that somewhere along the line I heard or read something that I have since yet to find any information or data on.
Unfortunately I also can’t remember for sure where I heard it lol
So…. I thought I’d throw it out there and see what you guys/gals think….

We’ve mostly always known the CE to stand for “Classic Electric” however, I swear I read/watched somewhere that “CE” originally stood for “California Electric” as the bolt on design was inspired by a “certain guitar manufacturer out of California that featured bolt on necks.”
Every time I try to look this up online, I get zero hits, so I’m starting to wonder if I’m just crazy lol
Has anyone here ever heard this?
I keep thinking it may have been an interview with Paul himself that I read or watched a while back on a YouTube video or an old documentary, but I just can’t remember now, so if any of you on here have ever heard this, I would like to know

Thank you and Cheers!

Never heard the California story. Sounds like an urban myth to me.
LOL must be,
I guess if it WAS something I heard from an interview with Paul, it wouldn’t be the strangest thing.
Just like SE meaning “Student Edition” but there are other theories out there and we don’t get a straight answer from PRS confirming, nor denying it.

I watched an interview with Jack Higginbotham, and he acted like even he didn’t know for sure.
Said something like it (probably) stands for every name you’ve heard over the years…. lol

Just like SE meaning “Student Edition” but there are other theories out there and we don’t get a straight answer from PRS confirming, nor denying it.
SE means student edition, although it's not a term used today. PRS has pretty much distanced themselves more and more from it. Seems especially so since Paul's sig went on the headstock. In the beginning it was Student Edition, which isn't a bad thing. I'm forever a student, always learning.

No. The original name was Classic Electric. Peavey made a trademark claim on the name Classic, so it became CE.
Thanks man! I thought it was Peavey but didn't want to spread more internet misinformation

Last edited:
SE means student edition, although it's not a term used today. PRS has pretty much distanced themselves more and more from it. Seems especially so since Paul's sig went on the headstock. In the beginning it was Student Edition, which isn't a bad thing. I'm forever a student, always learning.
And the whole thing came from a conversation between Paul and Santana. That is why the Santana SE was one of the first, if not the first model made under that designation.

And the whole thing came from a conversation between Paul and Santana. That is why the Santana SE was one of the first, if not the first model made under that designation.
That's how I remember it too. The Santana was the first.

Hello fellow, PRS lovers.
I have a beautiful 2021 CE 24 in Faded Grey Black that I bought during the pandemic.
That guitar got me super interested in the brand and being the nerd that I am, I proceeded to read and watch everything I could about PRS.
The reason for this post is that somewhere along the line I heard or read something that I have since yet to find any information or data on.
Unfortunately I also can’t remember for sure where I heard it lol
So…. I thought I’d throw it out there and see what you guys/gals think….

We’ve mostly always known the CE to stand for “Classic Electric” however, I swear I read/watched somewhere that “CE” originally stood for “California Electric” as the bolt on design was inspired by a “certain guitar manufacturer out of California that featured bolt on necks.”
Every time I try to look this up online, I get zero hits, so I’m starting to wonder if I’m just crazy lol
Has anyone here ever heard this?
I keep thinking it may have been an interview with Paul himself that I read or watched a while back on a YouTube video or an old documentary, but I just can’t remember now, so if any of you on here have ever heard this, I would like to know

Thank you and Cheers!

California Electric would likely refer to Fender (since they were in Fullerton for ever and a day).

But CE means “Classic Electric”.

SE means South East, as in where the guitars are produced. That's what I think, anyway.

Back