$8,000?!?!?!?!

Tremontinator

Banned
Alright, so, I contacted my drug dealer, and he contacted his rep at the factory.

Here's what went down

SC McCarty 594
Mahogany body and unfinished pattern thin Mahogany neck
24 fret Maple board
\m/etal bridge pickup uncovered
59/09 neck covered
2 piece hard tail bridge

It was at this point that the factory rep said you have to go Private Stock, and you're looking at $7,000-$8,000

Didn't even get to mention the flat black with blood red hardware.

Did I miss something here? In what universe is it fair that I should pay 8 grand for a core model, when they list for like 3-4 grand?

What the hell?!

If you are going with heavy gain playing, I'd suggest keeping pickup covers on them -- covers reduce noise. With correct wax potting the covers won't squeal.

I didn't speak clearly

I'm trying to order a core model. NOT a private stock

Maybe you are not thinking straight but what you are wanting is NOT core. For a start, the 594 core is a 22fret Pattern Vintage mahogany neck, rosewood board guitar with 58/15 LT's. It also comes with the gloss neck. That is the 'CORE' Spec and anything that deviates from this is going to cost extra. You may find a Wood Library version with a maple neck BUT it will still have the the specs of the 594 (re same neck carve and 22 frets). If you want more of a deviation - ie 24 frets, different neck care, different PU's fitted (as opposed to you buying PU's and fitting them yourself) It becomes a Private Stock.

All the woods, the PU's etc may all be cured and/or made by PRS BUT if you want anything that does NOT meet the specs as listed on their Website for the model, then you will end up having to pay more. If you are 'lucky', a store may well do a run of Wood Library versions that may have an unfinished maple or rosewood neck but this is a 'deviation' from the 'core' specs and will cost more. What you are wanting is Private Stock - regardless of whether PRS can mix/match parts from other models, glue in a Custom 24 neck instead of the 22 fret Pattern Vintage model. That also messes up the routing for this model to move the pick up forward a bit to accommodate the 2 extra frets, the bridge too needs to move forward a bit to keep the correct scale length - point is, its not that simple and why it has to be a one off, a Private Stock.

Core models have a fixed 'spec' where the only difference between them is the colour. The ONLY choice you have is which colour to buy.

Core guitars are expensive, but the reason they aren't more expensive is that they have a standardized set of features so they can be mass produced. They're made very well by skilled people, but they're still mass-produced.

OP, You're asking for features that aren't offered on the standard core models, so that makes it a custom guitar. Customization costs them more because they have to pay for their most skilled people to do something different, so it costs you more.

Customization costs them more because they have to pay for their most skilled people to do something different, so it costs you more.

But, but, but, according to The PRSGOW experts, I was told that private stocks aren’t any better than cores; “You’re only paying for better materials and modifications.” Of course most of those “experts” have never owned a private stock.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP - That price isn't too bad for a PS. I spec'd something far less unique and it was gonna cost a little more than that. If that's your perfect guitar go for it!!

Maybe you are not thinking straight but what you are wanting is NOT core. For a start, the 594 core is a 22fret Pattern Vintage mahogany neck, rosewood board guitar with 58/15 LT's. It also comes with the gloss neck. That is the 'CORE' Spec and anything that deviates from this is going to cost extra. You may find a Wood Library version with a maple neck BUT it will still have the the specs of the 594 (re same neck carve and 22 frets). If you want more of a deviation - ie 24 frets, different neck care, different PU's fitted (as opposed to you buying PU's and fitting them yourself) It becomes a Private Stock.

All the woods, the PU's etc may all be cured and/or made by PRS BUT if you want anything that does NOT meet the specs as listed on their Website for the model, then you will end up having to pay more. If you are 'lucky', a store may well do a run of Wood Library versions that may have an unfinished maple or rosewood neck but this is a 'deviation' from the 'core' specs and will cost more. What you are wanting is Private Stock - regardless of whether PRS can mix/match parts from other models, glue in a Custom 24 neck instead of the 22 fret Pattern Vintage model. That also messes up the routing for this model to move the pick up forward a bit to accommodate the 2 extra frets, the bridge too needs to move forward a bit to keep the correct scale length - point is, its not that simple and why it has to be a one off, a Private Stock.

Core models have a fixed 'spec' where the only difference between them is the colour. The ONLY choice you have is which colour to buy.

Ok, that makes sense, and now I feel kinda stupid for not thinking about all of that.

Still, would it be too much to ask for a different neck carve and have it unfinished? If I stick with 22 frets, is it really that difficult to slap a different neck on it?

And does it really hurt anything to put in different pickups?
And I don't want coil taps or splits. I want humbucking only. Is that too much to ask?

PRSGOW Facebook group. LMFAO! I remember those idiots. Buncha arseholes

Reactions: jfb
Ok, that makes sense, and now I feel kinda stupid for not thinking about all of that.

Still, would it be too much to ask for a different neck carve and have it unfinished? If I stick with 22 frets, is it really that difficult to slap a different neck on it?

And does it really hurt anything to put in different pickups?
And I don't want coil taps or splits. I want humbucking only. Is that too much to ask?

PRSGOW Facebook group. LMFAO! I remember those idiots. Buncha arseholes

That's still a deviation from the 'core' specs and therefore becomes a 'custom order', a 'one off', and therefore a Private Stock. You asking a dealer for ANTHING that deviates from the 'stock' as determined by the list of features as advertised becomes a 'unique' and Custom Order. Even if you asked your dealer for one of the few colour schemes that are not core colours, it becomes a custom order and therefore will cost a LOT more than a Core.

The ONLY guitars that cost 'Core' prices are those guitars that are made to a set of stock parameters in stock colour-schemes. The only thing you can 'ask' a dealer for, if you want to pay 'core' prices, is for a model in a specific, but still standard colour scheme - like Fire Red Burst or McCarty Burst. Anything else, whether you want Coil Splits or not, different PU's, etc- unless you change them yourself, its the 'Core' features of that guitar or you have to go Private Stock.

Core is defined by its specs and those specs are the same for every guitar in every model. Its that consistency and quality that people buy them for. The 594 is known for its Pattern Vintage Neck and 58/15 LT's. Its design principal is based on an old 58 Les Paul with a more Vintage style neck that's got a bit of an asymmetric carve, and those Low Output Vintage sounding PU's. That is what you get right through from Core, to 10-top to wood library which will change 'woods' but still keep the 'core' principals of this guitar. Any deviation, such as different PU's, Different Necks etc stop it from being a McCarty 594 and becomes a Custom order - hence Private Stock. It becomes a one-off instrument - something 'different' from the core specs!

Back