$8,000?!?!?!?!

Well damn. Back to square one

If back to square one is conceding that what you want isn't a 'Core' guitar but a 'one-off', a custom build because it deviates from the Core specs and therefore is a ~$8000 guitar (maybe more). If back to square one means accepting that 'Core' guitars are set spec guitars and incredibly high quality instruments that you can buy for 'core' money but can be bought from any dealer (if they have stock) and the only 'choice' is which colour you prefer. If back to square 1 means actually understanding what a 'core' PRS guitar is, the set of specs, PU's, etc are 'uniform' across all models - at least for that year as The Custom 24 has been revised over time so has different Hardware than it did 30+yrs ago. If going back to square 1 is now understanding that 'ANY' deviation from the specs as defined on the website means that the guitar is a one-off, a custom build so therefore a Private Stock - regardless of whether the body, the neck, the woods used etc can still be the same as the 'core' line, the woods are all cured to the same standard etc, its still a 'deviation' from the specs and therefore a custom build, a Private stock....

At risk of blasphemy or something, there are custom shops that will do one offs with nominal upcharges. They are NOT going to come with Paul Reed Smith on the headstock. of course. In my own case, I wanted several deviations from the stock model....Longer scale, black limba (chambered) body and neck, figures redwood top, ebony board, pickup rings and trim parts, added piezo, multi-layer binding. And my own specs for inlays, neck carve, etc. . In total, the upcharges were substantial, but it still ended up being not a lot over $4k from someone I consider a world class builder. Of course I also needed to sit back and wait the better part of 2 years.

The other comments above are a good road map to getting as close as possible to your goal from a PRS guitar. And remember that some things, like pickup swaps, are neither hard nor expensive. (Coil split? Don't use it.)

ETA.....This does NOT imply I have lost the love of my PRSi, only that there was something very specific that I wanted.

Last edited:
If back to square one is conceding that what you want isn't a 'Core' guitar but a 'one-off', a custom build because it deviates from the Core specs and therefore is a ~$8000 guitar (maybe more). If back to square one means accepting that 'Core' guitars are set spec guitars and incredibly high quality instruments that you can buy for 'core' money but can be bought from any dealer (if they have stock) and the only 'choice' is which colour you prefer. If back to square 1 means actually understanding what a 'core' PRS guitar is, the set of specs, PU's, etc are 'uniform' across all models - at least for that year as The Custom 24 has been revised over time so has different Hardware than it did 30+yrs ago. If going back to square 1 is now understanding that 'ANY' deviation from the specs as defined on the website means that the guitar is a one-off, a custom build so therefore a Private Stock - regardless of whether the body, the neck, the woods used etc can still be the same as the 'core' line, the woods are all cured to the same standard etc, its still a 'deviation' from the specs and therefore a custom build, a Private stock....

Square One is knowing I want a core model but no idea which

At risk of blasphemy or something, there are custom shops that will do one offs with nominal upcharges. They are NOT going to come with Paul Reed Smith on the headstock. of course. In my own case, I wanted several deviations from the stock model....Longer scale, black limba (chambered) body and neck, figures redwood top, ebony board, pickup rings and trim parts, added piezo, multi-layer binding. And my own specs for inlays, neck carve, etc. . In total, the upcharges were substantial, but it still ended up being not a lot over $4k from someone I consider a world class builder. Of course I also needed to sit back and wait the better part of 2 years.

The other comments above are a good road map to getting as close as possible to your goal from a PRS guitar. And remember that some things, like pickup swaps, are neither hard nor expensive. (Coil split? Don't use it.)

ETA.....This does NOT imply I have lost the love of my PRSi, only that there was something very specific that I wanted.

I've set a budget of right around $3,500-$4,000. I really don't want to go over that. I mean, I'd be happy as hell to get what I'm after for less but, the way of the world is great things cost great amounts of money

And it has to be a PRS. No ifs ands or buts about it. I'm a brand whore

Something to consider....

When I used to order Custom Shop Jackson/Charvel guitars I knew there would be a long waiting/build period. Usually I my guitars would spec out in the $5-6K range (late 90s). I would pay the deposit and instead of waiting to pay the balance upon completion, I would make monthly payments like a lay-away. It worked out great because once I got the deposit down and the build started, usually I had the guitar paid for before it was done. J/C had some long wait times - 2 years was the standard - so paying it off as I went was the best way to do it. My wallet didn't feel the hit too hard either. I ended up with ONLY CS Jacksons because of this.

I haven't tried it with PRS yet because they have stock models that suit my needs. I can always cook up an idea, but then I think about the premium, look at the guitars I have and realize that I am happy with stock Core instruments.

I've set a budget of right around $3,500-$4,000. I really don't want to go over that. I mean, I'd be happy as hell to get what I'm after for less but, the way of the world is great things cost great amounts of money

Knowing you want a core is generally which one to buy first because somewhere down the line, you may want to add another, and then another etc.

If you have the budget in place already to go if/when you decide which model to go for, the next step should be trying to decide on a few 'key' differences between models. Whether you want 22 or 24 frets for example is a good place to start because if you want 24 frets (especially with a Pattern Thin neck), the choice is clear- it has to be a Custom 24 - either the standard Cu24 with a 5 way, the 24-08 with individual mini toggles to split the Humbuckers, P24 - the 24 with the added Piezo. If you want 22 frets, the choice can be a bit wider with the Cu22, McCarty's inc the 594, Paul's or even the Hollowbodies.

All of the current Core series are listed - inc the Signature models (DGT, Tremonti, Santana) and that can help you narrow it down by just asking a few simple questions - fixed or trem bridge, 22 or 24 frets etc. Couple that with trying out a couple of guitars, trying out different Necks etc and you should come to a conclusion as to which Core to buy (first) and which you could put on your radar for future purchases.

As much as I wanted a core Cu24, it was my 'bucket list' guitar, I ended up buying a 594 first because I grew up and spent years with Les Paul guitars so it fitted me and my style better without having to change too much. It was the natural replacement. The 509, which I bought 2nd was more about opening up my options and, not wanting a Tele or Strat, offered me a 'compromise' I was happy with. I know some will say that you 'need' a strat and/or tele in your collection if you own a LP type guitar and my 509 was my compromise. It was only after buying these that I could get my Bucket List - something I had always wanted but also a bit concerned with as I never played fret 22 let alone 23 and 24, never owned a Trem system (until my 509) so I had to get the guitar I was most familiar with, then the guitar that closed up the biggest gaps in my sonic armoury before I could get my 'extravagant' purchase. After that, the next 'biggest' gap was the Hollowbody and 'acoustic' type tones - satisfied by my HBii. Now I have these 4, Anything I buy now is generally not plugging up many (if any) gaps. The 2 guitars that I would add right now (if funds allowed and the guitars were on the market in my preferred colour), is the PRS Special 22 - basically a Custom 22 with a semi Hollow body and a Narrowfield in the middle and a Hollowbody 594. Ideally, I would prefer the Special 22 first as that adds more sonically to my range where as the HBii and 594 HBii have quite a crossover - both have 58/15 LT's but the 594 has a shorter scale-length and can split the coils but the Humbucking, and quite frankly would be most used, tones will be similar to my HBii. Across all 4 of these, I have all 4 Pattern neck shapes too - more by 'accident' than design. Each just happened to be fitted with the neck shape and I haven't experienced a problem because 1 neck is too thin or another neck has an asymmetric and thicker carve.

The reason I have given you my PRS history, the thought process to each guitar and even my though process for any subsequent additions may be of use to you in deciding which Core guitar you perhaps should choose first. The 594 was my first because it was the most 'comfortable' and 'familiar' layout to what I was accustomed to. Maybe if I was a 'strat' guy, the first may well of been the Silver Sky with maybe a CE24 as more of a step into PRS with its bolt on neck - both have a Trem system that may be more familiar than coming from a Les Paul fixed bridge as I was. Maybe if you break down what areas you are less willing to compromise on - whether that's 24 frets or 2 piece fixed bridge for example. If 2 piece fixed Bridge is more important to you than 24 frets for example, then the choice is obvious. If 24 frets, Pattern Thin is more important, then that obviously means you look at Cu24's - the Trem bridge (if you prefer fixed bridges) doesn't have to be used...

Any Core guitar is going to be made to exceptional standards with all the woods cured to the same standard as Private Stock - even if PS has a wider range of woods available. If you can't get 'everything' in one guitar, the options are to own more guitars or go for a custom build...

I had a wishlist and trolled Reverb until I found a used Wood Library for less than a new Core.

I had a wishlist and trolled Reverb until I found a used Wood Library for less than a new Core.

That's my M.O. as well. I have found some amazing guitars that "check all the boxes" for great prices on Reverb. I found a Wood Library that matched 95% of my PS specs for less than half of the PS, and not much more than a Core. I was very pleased.

Back