$8,000?!?!?!?!

Knowing you want a core is generally which one to buy first because somewhere down the line, you may want to add another, and then another etc.

If you have the budget in place already to go if/when you decide which model to go for, the next step should be trying to decide on a few 'key' differences between models. Whether you want 22 or 24 frets for example is a good place to start because if you want 24 frets (especially with a Pattern Thin neck), the choice is clear- it has to be a Custom 24 - either the standard Cu24 with a 5 way, the 24-08 with individual mini toggles to split the Humbuckers, P24 - the 24 with the added Piezo. If you want 22 frets, the choice can be a bit wider with the Cu22, McCarty's inc the 594, Paul's or even the Hollowbodies.

All of the current Core series are listed - inc the Signature models (DGT, Tremonti, Santana) and that can help you narrow it down by just asking a few simple questions - fixed or trem bridge, 22 or 24 frets etc. Couple that with trying out a couple of guitars, trying out different Necks etc and you should come to a conclusion as to which Core to buy (first) and which you could put on your radar for future purchases.

As much as I wanted a core Cu24, it was my 'bucket list' guitar, I ended up buying a 594 first because I grew up and spent years with Les Paul guitars so it fitted me and my style better without having to change too much. It was the natural replacement. The 509, which I bought 2nd was more about opening up my options and, not wanting a Tele or Strat, offered me a 'compromise' I was happy with. I know some will say that you 'need' a strat and/or tele in your collection if you own a LP type guitar and my 509 was my compromise. It was only after buying these that I could get my Bucket List - something I had always wanted but also a bit concerned with as I never played fret 22 let alone 23 and 24, never owned a Trem system (until my 509) so I had to get the guitar I was most familiar with, then the guitar that closed up the biggest gaps in my sonic armoury before I could get my 'extravagant' purchase. After that, the next 'biggest' gap was the Hollowbody and 'acoustic' type tones - satisfied by my HBii. Now I have these 4, Anything I buy now is generally not plugging up many (if any) gaps. The 2 guitars that I would add right now (if funds allowed and the guitars were on the market in my preferred colour), is the PRS Special 22 - basically a Custom 22 with a semi Hollow body and a Narrowfield in the middle and a Hollowbody 594. Ideally, I would prefer the Special 22 first as that adds more sonically to my range where as the HBii and 594 HBii have quite a crossover - both have 58/15 LT's but the 594 has a shorter scale-length and can split the coils but the Humbucking, and quite frankly would be most used, tones will be similar to my HBii. Across all 4 of these, I have all 4 Pattern neck shapes too - more by 'accident' than design. Each just happened to be fitted with the neck shape and I haven't experienced a problem because 1 neck is too thin or another neck has an asymmetric and thicker carve.

The reason I have given you my PRS history, the thought process to each guitar and even my though process for any subsequent additions may be of use to you in deciding which Core guitar you perhaps should choose first. The 594 was my first because it was the most 'comfortable' and 'familiar' layout to what I was accustomed to. Maybe if I was a 'strat' guy, the first may well of been the Silver Sky with maybe a CE24 as more of a step into PRS with its bolt on neck - both have a Trem system that may be more familiar than coming from a Les Paul fixed bridge as I was. Maybe if you break down what areas you are less willing to compromise on - whether that's 24 frets or 2 piece fixed bridge for example. If 2 piece fixed Bridge is more important to you than 24 frets for example, then the choice is obvious. If 24 frets, Pattern Thin is more important, then that obviously means you look at Cu24's - the Trem bridge (if you prefer fixed bridges) doesn't have to be used...

Any Core guitar is going to be made to exceptional standards with all the woods cured to the same standard as Private Stock - even if PS has a wider range of woods available. If you can't get 'everything' in one guitar, the options are to own more guitars or go for a custom build...

Good info.

For me, the necessities are:
American PRS
Single Cut
3 way toggle
2 volume, 2 tone
2 humbuckers
Fully adjustable hard tail bridge
Mahogany body and neck
Pattern Thin neck

I would prefer to have 24 frets to have that added range but, I'm willing to give it up.

Only reason I want a maple fingerboard is because I like how they look when they get old

I'm not into all this single coil stuff and rotary switches and blade switches and mini toggles and all this other flashy stuff. I'm looking for a meat and potatoes Super Les Paul.

Everybody and their brother manufactures a Super Strat. To me, a PRS is basically a Super Les Paul.

I don't particularly care for hollow bodies either. I think a solid body is just fine for what I want to do with it.

Don't you hate those people who try to tell you what you need? I'm always like "Man, I need a Strat/Tele like I need a hole in the head." Can't stand the sound of em.

Good info.

American PRS
Single Cut
3 way toggle
2 volume, 2 tone
2 humbuckers
Mahogany body and neck
Pattern Thin neck

I would prefer to have 24 frets to have that added range but, I'm willing to give it up.

Only reason I want a maple fingerboard is because I like how they look when they get old

I'm not into all this single coil stuff and rotary switches and blade switches and mini toggles and all this other flashy stuff. I'm looking for a meat and potatoes Super Les Paul.

Everybody and their brother manufactures a Super Strat. To me, a PRS is basically a Super Les Paul.

I don't particularly care for hollow bodies either. I think a solid body is just fine for what I want to do with it.

Don't you hate those people who try to tell you what you need? I'm always like "Man, I need a Strat/Tele like I need a hole in the head." Can't stand the sound of em.

Apart from the Pattern Thin Neck, you have basically described a PRS SC594. Obviously your preference for 24 frets is also a no go. It does come with Push/pull - not that you have to use it. The only other that you may consider is the Tremonti - that comes with a Pattern Thin neck but also a trem bridge. Scale length is a bit longer at the usual 25" for PRS but it is a 3way, double Humbucker with individual tone and volume pots for each. You could look at the DGT too but I think you compromise on more areas from your ideal - it has a trem bridge and 1 master tone, has a different neck carve too where the other two are either compromising on the bridge or neck. If you want the fixed bridge, you have the Pattern Vintage neck but if you really want the Pattern Thin, then you have the Trem bridge. The DGT doesn't have the neck, the bridge or the extra tone pot you ideally want.

The Custom 24, to get the 24 fret, pattern thin neck from a core, also has a 5-way, master tone/volume and not a Single Cut either so it seems that the only Cores that fit the majority of your necessity is the SC594 or Tremonti. Neither has all the things you think are necessities but these are the closest you can get by going core.

Good info.

American PRS
Single Cut
3 way toggle
2 volume, 2 tone
2 humbuckers
Mahogany body and neck
Pattern Thin neck

Other than the maple board, this one is right up your alley.

https://reverb.com/item/22863938-pr...lectric-guitar-charcoal-black-gold-wrap-burst

Mozzi, you sir, are killing it in this thread. My proverbial hat is off to you, good sir!

Yeah, the Tremonti is the only other model I've looked at. Seeing as he's my favorite living player and #2 overall. Second only to Carl Wilson.

IDK. I like my SE Tremonti Custom other than the trem bridge but, I'm just not too sure if it's the model for me.

Are those one piece hard tails still fully adjustable? That's the biggest thing holding me back from buying the Tremonti signature. Well, that, and I just don't know if I want to continue down the path of using all of his gear. I've got the MT15.

Wish they still made the SC245. IIRC, it was just a Tremonti sig with different pickups in it. I think. IDR...

I suppose it doesn't have to be a SC. This Tremonti SE is the first SC I've owned since...2006? 2007? I'm kinda relishing the fact that my hands are now big enough to play one.

The specs that are absolutely non-negotiable are
Fully adjustable hard tail
Mahogany solid body
2 buckers
4 knobs
3 way toggle on the upper bout
Pattern Thin
U.S. PRS
Birds

Lol I don't like birds. I can take em or leave em. Mostly leave em, I guess. But, GDit, the bird inlays are cool AF!

I would strongly prefer the \m/etal bridge and 59/09 neck pickups but, I suppose I'm an oddity that way

Bodia

You know I got mad respect and luv for you, bro

That being said, I basically hate you right now. I fell in love with that axe as soon as the first pic loaded. I've never seen such a wonderful finish. That Tremonti is so sick! I WANT IT! I WANT IT NOW!

And I has no money...:(

This is why I was going to order new. I can't save money to save my life but, I can make advance payments to my drug dealer. I mean PRS dealer...

Good God that thing is sexy af...

Bodia

You know I got mad respect and luv for you, bro (no homo)

That being said, I basically hate you right now. I fell in love with that axe as soon as the first pic loaded. I've never seen such a wonderful finish. That Tremonti is so sick! I WANT IT! I WANT IT NOW!

And I has no money...:(

This is why I was going to order new. I can't save money to save my life but, I can make advance payments to my drug dealer. I mean PRS dealer...

Good God that thing is sexy af...

Sorry, bro. That thing is stupid good looking. If I were in the market.....

I got ya on ordering new. A little down payment now, and then start saving your pennies. Good plan.

Since Tremonti is your favorite living player, I think you need to get his guitar. If you don't want to look like a fan boy, just get a new truss rod cover. Only PRS fans will recognize it based mostly on covered and uncovered pickups.

Mozzi, you sir, are killing it in this thread. My proverbial hat is off to you, good sir!

Yeah, the Tremonti is the only other model I've looked at. Seeing as he's my favorite living player and #2 overall. Second only to Carl Wilson.

IDK. I like my SE Tremonti Custom other than the trem bridge but, I'm just not too sure if it's the model for me.

Are those one piece hard tails still fully adjustable? That's the biggest thing holding me back from buying the Tremonti signature. Well, that, and I just don't know if I want to continue down the path of using all of his gear. I've got the MT15.

Wish they still made the SC245. IIRC, it was just a Tremonti sig with different pickups in it. I think. IDR...

I suppose it doesn't have to be a SC. This Tremonti SE is the first SC I've owned since...2006? 2007? I'm kinda relishing the fact that my hands are now big enough to play one.

The specs that are absolutely non-negotiable are
Fully adjustable hard tail
Mahogany solid body
2 buckers
4 knobs
3 way toggle on the upper bout
Pattern Thin
U.S. PRS
Birds

Lol I don't like birds. I can take em or leave em. Mostly leave em, I guess. But, GDit, the bird inlays are cool AF!

I would strongly prefer the \m/etal bridge and 59/09 neck pickups but, I suppose I'm an oddity that way

It doesn't matter how 'non-negotiable' your requirements are, the choice, assuming you want to buy a 'new' PRS Core model, are still the same. Even if you are willing to compromise on the Single Cut option - it still leaves you with the 594 (Pattern Vintage neck) or Tremonti (trem Bridge or Adjustable 1 piece Stop Tail). Everything else is compromising on more of your requirements - these for example are the ONLY guitars with the 4 knobs in the core line up, these are the only models with a 3-way switch at the top.

The closest to those is the Tremonti again - https://mooreguitars.com/prs-tremonti-10-top-adj-stoptail-jade-5834/ here is one with an adjustable stop tail so you can see its possible to have a fixed bridge Tremonti - may not be so easy to find (not in the UK anyway but the US may have more). You would still have to buy a Metal and 59/09 PU to put in any 'core' guitar yourself. Whether its another 'Tremonti' or not, its virtually the guitar you are describing - albeit with a single bridge compared to the 2 piece bridge of the 594

Bodia
I forgive you bro :-D

Outlier
That's not a bad idea... *strokes chin deep in thought*

Mozzi
Again, killing it in this thread. Aaaand another amazing guitar that I wish I could just "add to cart" right now.

I need to hit the friggin lottery. Y'all remember the 2002 SC Dragon? My "signature" model would be similar but with an American Bald Eagle instead of the dragon.

Back to reality, everybody here has given me much to think about. Can't thank all of you for your time and help. Especially Mozzi.

Last edited:
Mozzi
Again, killing it in this thread. Aaaand another amazing guitar that I wish I could just "add to cart" right now.

I need to hit the friggin lottery. Y'all remember the 2002 SC Dragon? My "signature" model would be similar but with an American Bald Eagle instead of the dragon.

Back to reality, everybody here has given me much to think about. Can't thank all of you for your time and help. Especially Mozzi.

No probs Dude.

As @Micky! has said, you can get some great US made Tremonti's with the adjustable Stop tail for very reasonable prices. You may be limited on colour and top choice which you may have more choice if looking at 'New' guitars. The advantage of buying used is that you can use some of the budget you may have had for a new guitar to purchase the Pick-ups you were looking for. It should work out cheaper to go the used route and replace the Pick-ups than it will be to buy new and settle for the stock Tremonti PU's.

Being so particular over what you want has limited you to a Tremonti to get 95% of the way to your 'necessities', the things that you are not willing to compromise on. The next closest from PRS is the 594 but you can't really do a lot with the neck - not unless you are prepared to sand it down to the Pattern Thin dimensions. At least with the Tremonti, you can get an adjustable bridge - just not a 2 piece - and you can swap PU's and TRC so you get 99% (1% off for the single instead of 2 piece adjustable bridge.

If you want a 24 fret Guitar, if you have the budget for a 'new' Tremonti but buy used and swap the PU's/TRC, you could add an SE 24 fret (even a Standard or maybe a Holcombe if you prefer a fixed bridge, flatter fretboard, 25.5" scale length 24 fret guitar) as well. It may not be everything you look for for your primary guitar but you could add it as a secondary, something 'different' to give you a wider palette to paint your music with, expand your playing experience. As I did, I bought the most 'comfortable' PRS to my playing - having played Les Paul's all my electric playing life, it made most sense to start with the 594. The 509 was pushing me outside of my 'comfort zone' as it had the longer Scale length, trem bridge, master tone/volume, blade switch and mini-toggles - numerous things that were not within my everyday experience, things none of my electrics ever had (not saying I had never tried a 25.5" trem bridge guitar, just that I had never owned or lived with these everyday). To me, these were polar opposites but I needed that to break out of that box, the box that meant I could only play and live with LP's or guitars based around the LP set-up. It opened up my palette!

Maybe you could do that more 'cheaply' than the route I took by looking at the SE line, buying a guitar that is different to your LP type requirements - if not today but in the future. It could open up more 'choice'. I know mine is still limited by my 'need' to buy only Red Guitars but at least I am not quite as limited by other factors - like Bridge type, needing separate controls for tone and volume etc. I still prefer a fixed bridge with independent tone/volume controls on a Double Humbucker guitar but at least I don't have to have these or I won't buy.

You also have the option to grab an old one and upgrade the electronic to your taste

Paul Reed Smith Tremonti 2001 Black:
https://reverb.com/item/17851588-pa...black?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Or

2003 PRS Paul Reed Smith Mark Tremonti Signature Black https://reverb.com/item/17665499-20...black?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

The old ones have the Wide/Fat neck, though. They changed to Wide/Thin when they added the trem around 2007 or so.

This calls for a newer stoptail version. Dangit, now you guys got me drooling over this one. Good thing I don't like skinny necks.
https://reverb.com/item/17620604-20...h04XgdKEAkYBiABEgJWGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

The old ones have the Wide/Fat neck, though. They changed to Wide/Thin when they added the trem around 2007 or so.

This calls for a newer stoptail version. Dangit, now you guys got me drooling over this one. Good thing I don't like skinny necks.
https://reverb.com/item/17620604-20...h04XgdKEAkYBiABEgJWGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

As nice as the guitars are in these links, I don't get GAS because I know that importing to the UK, the cost as well as the costs if something isn't as advertised, that is a great cure for GAS. I am not ready to see a Special 22 in Fire Red Burst for sale in the UK as I am still in 'save' mode to be in a position to buy. I am GASsing hard enough over one of these even in different colours to my preferred colour let alone if someone posts a link to a Tremonti (or other model) in Fire Red.

At least the OP has choices to decide on their future purchase. That tobacco burst though does look good and no wonder it got you drooling.

I totally agree with you Mozzi, international shipping cost and import duties in Europe help a lot to manage GAS crisis.

Back