74 today! Think I'll build a guitar!

That "fiddle" should sing like a angle.. looks just fantastic! I have a parts strat with a 1 piece swamp ash body, maple 9.5 player neck, vintage electronics and Texas specials, quickly became one of my favorites. October B-day here also, you have me by a few but Im retired and start drawing SS this year so not far behind.. lol

Charles
Thanks. Congrats on retirement!

I'm sure hoping it sings! I'm doing all i can to make it so. Nice tight neck fit.

How do you like the Texas Specials? Aren't those what Mark Knopfler uses?

Starting to look pretty darned good! Been sanding between coats with 1000 grit paper.

I put water in a bowl and add a few drops of dish detergent then soak the sandpaper in that.

The soap really helps lubricate things. Soon as I notice any buildup on the paper i toss it and start a new piece.

About ready for the Nitro! StewMac doesn't ship very fast...even though they'd like you to think they do.

Oh well...another day or two for the shellac to cure won't hurt.

Didn't use any filler. Just shellac sanded "level" between coats. I know it'll shrink and i know the open grain is going to look open.

I'm fine with that. Can't wait to put this baby together!

That rosewood neck in the picture is not the neck I'll be using. That's just an old junker neck I use as handle and hanger when spraying finish.

I have this one tho:

Last edited:
Starting to look pretty darned good! Been sanding between coats with 1000 grit paper.

I put water in a bowl and add a few drops of dish detergent then soak the sandpaper in that.

The soap really helps lubricate things. Soon as I notice any buildup on the paper i toss it and start a new piece.

About ready for the Nitro! StewMac doesn't ship very fast...even though they'd like you to think they do.

Oh well...another day or two for the shellac to cure won't hurt.

Didn't use any filler. Just shellac sanded "level" between coats. I know it'll shrink and i know the open grain is going to look open.

I'm fine with that. Can't wait to put this baby together!

That rosewood neck in the picture is not the neck I'll be using. That's just an old junker neck I use as handle and hanger when spraying finish.

I have this one tho:
Looking Good!

That's an understatement!
Thanks! It's sanded smooth with 1000 grit, and the shellac has lost it's "pluck" so it's hard and ready for lacquer.

The gloss amber lacquer ior the neck and gloss clear lacquer for the body and neck is coming from StewMac and they are very slow to ship.. Quick to take your money tho!

I found a new white pearl pickguard in my stash. It's 2 ply. Black base and white pearl top. So it's not white/black/white. It's black/white pearl and the pearl is a little warmer color.

Forgot I had it. Laura Lee found it in my pickguard stash.

Mike Gray sent me a FREE Chubtone El Gordo bridge pickup he wants feedback on. I'm excited about that!

It's about 10K. 8.5K - 9K is normal for Mike's overwound bridge pickup, the El Gordo.

boy am i late to this party. happy birthday. that guitar is looking amazing!
Thanks! It's a nice way to spend the time and not really that difficult.

This guitar is probably the lightest of all I own tho!

Roasting that Swamp Ash lightens the weight they say.

And I learned a lot. Learned that if you spray nitro over several coats of tung oil, even when the tung oil is dry the nitro finish cracks a little like it does on a old guitar.

Been trying to learn how to do that for without success for 25 years. Now I can do it, altho I'm not going to do that to this guitar. Looks good on the Tele I'm making for my brother tho.

I like that look too.

Anybody else have any tips on getting a new finish to check and crack?

Not a fan of crazy looking fake relics but a little "wear" is fine with me.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a nice way to spend the time and not really that difficult.

This guitar is probably the lightest of all I own tho!

Roasting that Swamp Ash lightens the weight they say.

And I learned a lot. Learned that if you spray nitro over several coats of tung oil, even when the tung oil is dry the nitro finish cracks a little like it does on a old guitar.

Been trying to learn how to do that for without success for 25 years. Now I can do it, altho I'm not going to do that to this guitar. Looks good on the Tele I'm making for my brother tho.

I like that look too.

Anybody else have any tips on getting a new finish to check and crack?

Not a fan of crazy looking fake relics but a little "wear" is fine with me.

Maybe Sergio.

That flame is coming alive on the neck.

Maybe Sergio.

That flame is coming alive on the neck.
It sure is! I'm putting three guitars together at the moment.

This one, which is actually Laura Lee's, my step brother's parts-o-caster Tele" and my own 80's Squier Strat, which has been in pieces for awhile but is a guitar I played for years as my #1.

Boy...why do photos disappear here?

Oh well. Took these this morning,

This is the best job I've ever done finishing a guitar, and it hasn't even been buffed yet. Been building and finishing furniture since 1985 and I guess I've learned some things.

Made the pine table that doubles as a kitchen table and work table and I can see the marks left behind of virtually every guitar I've owned for the last 30 years in the top.

The guitar smooth and glossy but I'm going to give it a final wet sanding, spray one more coat of nitro (hopefully just one...) let it set, buff it to a gloss and start playing it.

Gotta let the lacquer get hard tho. Don't want screwing on the parts to leave impressions in the finish.

Last edited:
I found that white pearl pickguard in my pickguard stash. Didn't know I had it.

It's a little warmer color. Never seen a two ply before. They're all white/black/white.

This one is black/white and I like the way the black looks against the ash.

Kinda makes it "pop".

"Mike Gray sent me a FREE Chubtone El Gordo bridge pickup he wants feedback on."

On or from? ;)
On. But I'm cool with from.

This is going to be a bit of a Jeff Beck tribute.

Two point tremolo like Jeff's

LSR Roller Nut like Jeff's.

Might put a set locking Sperzels on it too.

I have a set. May as well put them to use.

Back