58/15 or 57/08?

I have 3 PRS. Each guitar has a diferentes pickups. If you want power in your guitar 85/15 are wonderfull. I have 57/08 neck pickup in another one and they sound fantastic too. And finally the 58/15lt are another of my guitars. These pickups are incredibles for jazz,blues...

I have three guitars with 58/15 LT's - Solid DC 594, Hollowbody DC 594 and Hollowbody II
I have one guitar with 58/15 MT's - Special Semi-Hollow (also has a 57/08 NF in the middle)
I have one guitar with 85/15's - Regular Custom 24
I have one guitar with \m/'s - Custom 24 Floyd

I have one guitar with 509's too but these are unique and 'only' available in the 509 model, not likely to be changed out or put into a different guitar.

All sound 'different' - even the 3 guitars with 58/15 LT's - Probably because the difference in build (HB vs Solid), different Bridge (Piezo Stoptail vs ToM), TCI process & Nitro over CAB finish (594 HBii has these, the others don't) but they are also close enough that I could use any of the 58/15 LT loaded guitars that in a mix, you'd not know which guitar I had used. The splits are (I believe) true splits too.

The 58/15 MT's have more bite and use 'taps' to get a 'Single Coil' tone which I must admit, I prefer to the LT's 'splits'. If the 58/15 LT's are going for that 'Vintage' PAF Humbucker sound, the 58/15 MT's are more a 'Classic' Humbucker and the 85/15's do sound more 'modern' but they all have great clarity and what I think of as a 'Hi-def' sound - like watching a HD/4k movie after watching SD for years.

I am not the most articulate when it comes to describing sound and what I may think of as 'too bright' for me, others may think its bit dark for them, not warm enough for me, too warm for you etc so I don't ever assume you'll like or even hear things the same way I do. Therefore I can't really suggest you are better off going for one Pup over another.

I haven't got a guitar with 57/08's in and certainly not tried the same guitar with both 57/08's and 58/15's in to compare both in the same platform to get a better idea of the 'differences' in the Pickup itself. It does seem to me that those that like the 57/08's, really like the 57/08's but the 58/15's seem to have more 'general' appeal across the board.

Pups are a personal choice, a personal preference and the 'tone' you are after is still going to be 'unique' to you as you'll be using it in 'your' guitar and running it through your Rig with your own personal settings. The Pedals, the Amp, the Cab etc all will 'tweak' the sounds from the guitar, through the Pups and Rig, to your ears giving you a 'tone' - whether you'll 'prefer' 58/15's or 57/08's in 'your' set-up is impossible for any of us here to predict or help you with - both could be an improvement to your ears over the 245 'S' pups, but you could prefer the 245 'S' pups as they suit you, your music and/or your 'rig' better - at least if you don't tweak your pedal/amp settings to suit your 'new' pups...

I play in several groups. I share band with another man on one of them Who play strato and Les Paul. During years I have been looking for sounds so beautiful like the neck pickups of these guitars. I have to say that 57/08 in neck are very nice. Particularly if you play with the guitar tone and volume potentiometer. The 58/15 lt are fat and they have less treble at least in my PRS CE24 guitars. These humbucker are incredibles in the neck. By the way I recommend to use a fantastic pedal called Timmy. I have the pedal of mxr mini. If you like sweet blues tones and blues jazz this pedal sounds fantastic with both pickups.

Howdy. You're talking about pickups.... I have Hollowbody II piezo 2008. There are pickups "archtop" - they are great for jazz-blues tones, they are very soft and "woody". I'm starting to play with a band where I need a hard-rock sound. And now I'm thinking about changing guitars or pickups. The current pickups just don't work with my Marshal 1974x and drive sound. Does it make sense to put other pickups in my HBII? I'm thinking of the 58/15 LT that goes into HBII, or the 57/08 that I can buy cheaply now. Can you advise me? Thank you very much guys.

Howdy. You're talking about pickups.... I have Hollowbody II piezo 2008. There are pickups "archtop" - they are great for jazz-blues tones, they are very soft and "woody". I'm starting to play with a band where I need a hard-rock sound. And now I'm thinking about changing guitars or pickups. The current pickups just don't work with my Marshal 1974x and drive sound. Does it make sense to put other pickups in my HBII? I'm thinking of the 58/15 LT that goes into HBII, or the 57/08 that I can buy cheaply now. Can you advise me? Thank you very much guys.
I would go with the 57/08 over the 58/15LT. The LT are great, but the 57/08 (or 59/09) would be better suited to hard rock.

I have 57/08s in both of my HB PRS guitars and they work well in these guitars. In my experience with the 58/15 LT pickups, I think you will have the same problem with those as you have with the archtops. I swapped those out of my 594 because they were too low of output when compared to the other guitars I was gigging with it.

Back