305 Mod...thoughts

OK DC Resistance of my 3 x 305s was 6.04, 6.05 and 6.06k, so pretty safe to say they're 6.05k.

Width wise, a PRS pickup ring is pretty close to 1mm wider (I got 88mm but my digital vernier caliper battery is flat) than the 305 at 87mm. Really going to depend on how tight the routing is around those pickups but I'm guessing from a distance, and at the right angle, no one will notice.

Similar results to JustMund. The middle 305 on my BM is 6.35K
I get 89 mm for the inner diameter of the route for the 305 pickup, and 89mm for outer diameter of the pickup rings on all my PRS's w standard sized HB's. The edge of the route on the 305 is rounded slightly (I assume same on 305), probably wouldn't be visible from a distance.
The route for the HB would have to be very precisely centered over the existing 305 cavity to allow for enough wood at the corners for the mounting ring anchor screws (79 mm apart). I wouldn't trust my routing skills, but I'm confident PTC could do it.

I DID IT!!! :star:
My S/S/S 305 is now an H/S/H 309 (coil tap). And it is kick *ss amazing. I put a couple of SD 59's and the clarity and brightness on it is a thing of beauty. I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them (if I can pull myself away from playing it.) ;)

I DID IT!!! :star:
My S/S/S 305 is now an H/S/H 309 (coil tap). And it is kick *ss amazing. I put a couple of SD 59's and the clarity and brightness on it is a thing of beauty. I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them (if I can pull myself away from playing it.) ;)

Awesome, can't wait to see some pics. I have a 305 as well and really don't get along with the bridge pup but I'm too scared to go moding it like you did so I'll just live vicariously through you, if that's OK.. :)

Awesome, can't wait to see some pics. I have a 305 as well and really don't get along with the bridge pup but I'm too scared to go moding it like you did so I'll just live vicariously through you, if that's OK.. :)
Oh believe me, my shop-class skills ended with my getting a D back in middle school. Mike Caldwell at 'nStuff Music here in Pittsburgh did all the magic:adore:...and at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
I thought about taking a 308 and installing some of those skinny SD pickups which look like the PRS Narrowfield pickups. I'd rather do that than re-route the body.

That's what Jason Aldean's guitar player Kurt Allison did...He put a single sized Duncan bucker in the bridge of his 305. Not the rail kind, but the kind with pole pieces.

I wish they still made the 305...

Scale length 1/4" longer in 305 too. I think the 305 pickups are wider that the 57/08, by enough to require some hole filling beyond the pickup rings. If you want the carved body albeit maple/swamp ash...a PS Mason may be something to look into. There are some used ones starting to appear...I grabbed this one...
Good score, Tosca! I love that guitar--saw it online when it was new, no way I can afford it, but that's really a cool one! If I ever win the lottery I'll get a Private Stock Brent Mason--until then I'll just stick with my regular one.

Took me awhile, but here are some shots of my modified 305 (309). Love the way it sounds. And looks pretty great too

34.jpg

wide.jpg

Back