PRS 305 and DC3 info

Revelation

I recently found out about a the 305 and DC3. Trying to get more information about both guitars. What is the difference between the two and which had more of a Stratocaster sound? They both seem like great guitars.

DC3

Compared to the Silver Sky, the DC3 sounds rounded and warmer (or mellower..take you pick).

Based on the third video the 305 and DC3 have the same pickups. However with the DC3 is bolt on vs the 305 which is similar to the other PRS guitars with the neck/body connection.

Last edited:
Stratocaster sound is subjective. I went with a maple board DC3. Google the specs for both. The 305 has the pickups bolted to the solid body, the DC3 has the pickguard. The DC3 cured my Strat itch, which has never been very strong.
I’m sure having the pickups mounted on the pickguard gave it a bit more of a Strat tone. And also the bolt on all maple neck

305 is alder body maple 25.5” neck (set neck) and 305 pickups

DC3 is alder body bolt on 25.25” neck with 305 pickups.

The 305 will “feel like” a PRS when you pick it up. The dc3 more like a strat. The 25.25” scale is a really nice length too!
25,25” scale! Gotta hand it to Paul……..

I have a 305 and a Silver Sky.
The 305 has a typical PRS carve, where the SS and DC3 are more "strat" like.
The 305 pups are a bit "darker", and the SS pups are... well... amazing. I'd suppose the DC3 pups sound exactly like 305.
I lean towards the SS.
I sold my 305 after I got my SS SE. I just wasn’t playing it anymore.

I have both (recently traded the 305) - the 305 is a bit more strat like I would say
The DC3 looks more like a strat but tonally it’s quite a bit more warm sounding than the typical strat. It has plenty of spank and snap and the in between tones position 2 and 4 are delicious

The 305 has the 25.5 inch scale length and so it ‘feels’ more a strat I would say in terms of string tension. Tonally it probably gets slightly closer to strat sounds perhaps also due to the scale length, but still very much it’s own thing.

I’ve never felt the need to get a strat having these guitars

I have both (recently traded the 305) - the 305 is a bit more strat like I would say
The DC3 looks more like a strat but tonally it’s quite a bit more warm sounding than the typical strat. It has plenty of spank and snap and the in between tones position 2 and 4 are delicious

The 305 has the 25.5 inch scale length and so it ‘feels’ more a strat I would say in terms of string tension. Tonally it probably gets slightly closer to strat sounds perhaps also due to the scale length, but still very much it’s own thing.

I’ve never felt the need to get a strat having these guitars
I am glad you are so pleased with both guitars. I loved my 305, but wanted something a closer to the original in terms of sound and feel. I was able to get one of the first Silver Sky SE’s in my area. I couldn’t be happier with it, and find it very difficult to put down.

I am glad you are so pleased with both guitars. I loved my 305, but wanted something a closer to the original in terms of sound and feel. I was able to get one of the first Silver Sky SE’s in my area. I couldn’t be happier with it, and find it very difficult to put down.
Yes the silver sky is definitely a lot closer to the strat feel quite clearly

I think it’s also a lot to do with fretboard radius, and the pickups of course

The DC3 and 305 are both great guitars in the strat vein but suit those players that could never really fully gel with strat necks IMO

I had a 305 for a couple years. I was looking for a new Strat at the time because the one I'd been playing for years was just getting too heavy to gig with (a 9 lbs Strat is nothing at 25, but it pulls on the shoulder after 3 hours at 55)... Anyway, I'd already replaced my Les Paul and SG with PRS guitars and when I found a 305 I jumped on it as a Strat replacement. It was a fine guitar, but it wasn't a Strat; it kinda-sorta did the strat thing with volume and tone manipulation but it just didn't ever gel with me, so when I found a Strat I loved a couple years later I let it go. Still have that Strat, and I've got a Silver Sky which is also a killer "S-type"... I put a 57/08 in the bridge position of the Silver Sky just so I can say it's not redundant; sounds awesome! But my advice would be if you're looking for a Strat, go with a Silver Sky; they're excellent strats.

Yes the silver sky is definitely a lot closer to the strat feel quite clearly

I think it’s also a lot to do with fretboard radius, and the pickups of course

The DC3 and 305 are both great guitars in the strat vein but suit those players that could never really fully gel with strat necks IMO
There's many different type strat necks out there.. Two of mine are similar, a variation of Medium C 9.5. The third has more meat, soft V, and 7.25.

Here's a good example from a local shop to get an idea of fender options.

Screenshot_20230704_084032_Galleryb3a5edd1b8ea9b37.jpg

Back