305 Mod...thoughts

hammeron

So I have 305 and I have a pair of 57/08's. I love the pickups...and love the 305's alder body and middle pickup. I'm ok with the 305 bridge, but not at all happy with the neck. So I'm thinking of dropping the 57/08's into the 305. I know there are aesthetic considerations (hopefully most of the routing adjustments will be hidden by the pickup rings. I'm really intrigued by the prospect of that alder body and those pickups (and the prospects of having #'s 2 and 4 to work with.) Crazy? Or so crazy it just might work?

If you haven't seen the "Raven 305" I suggest that you take a look. Similar idea, but he put the HB in the bridge. A 57/08 neck pup would probably be glorious!

Alder body (not to mention those cool as sh*t modern birds and carved body)

what is the output of the middle 305 pickup??? you will want to balance the outputs. 57/08 neck is about 8.0 ohms and the bridge normally matched or a little higher( hotter). you will want the middle pickup to be close to the neck(but still higher in ohms and less than the bridge) to get a good balance in the 2 and 4 positions; otherwise it will be unbalanced in sound output.

Alder body (not to mention those cool as sh*t modern birds and carved body)
Scale length 1/4" longer in 305 too. I think the 305 pickups are wider that the 57/08, by enough to require some hole filling beyond the pickup rings. If you want the carved body albeit maple/swamp ash...a PS Mason may be something to look into. There are some used ones starting to appear...I grabbed this one...

I used to not really care for the Brent Mason Sig...now after listening to it quite a few times, I am really digging it!

I thought about taking a 308 and installing some of those skinny SD pickups which look like the PRS Narrowfield pickups. I'd rather do that than re-route the body.

do-it_zps755ae61b.png

+lots n lots

I have 305 pickups floating around so can measure the resistance, and width compared to a PRS pickup ring if you like too :)

That would AWESOME! Thank you. Thank you :adore: (always wanted to use that emoji)

Back