30 Years ...

Just picked up the new GuitarWorld ... Texas Flood, 30 years old. Damn that's a long time ago. Seems like yesterday I saw him at the El Mocombo.
Recordings and DVD's don't do justice, he was friggin' awesome.
Toast to Stevie.

I used to have a vid of him playing austin city limits. It was the most entertaining show I have ever seen. One thing I want to point out is there were never any backup vocals but you never miss them.

Saw him play New Years Eve '89/'90 at "The Ritz" in NYC, surrounded by Hell's Angels, about 8 months before he died.

Just picked up the new GuitarWorld ... Texas Flood, 30 years old. Damn that's a long time ago. Seems like yesterday I saw him at the El Mocombo.
Recordings and DVD's don't do justice, he was friggin' awesome.
Toast to Stevie.
Hear, hear. You were at that show??? I used to watch that on VHS all the time....maybe I ought to upgrade to DVD or Blu-ray.

I had seen some live stuff by him before he died. I was 13-14 years old and maybe not huge into him, but liked him quite a bit. The night he died, I cried. I knew the type of player he was and what he meant to music. Wish I could've seen him live.

I was a huge fan. I collected a ton of live shows (mostly on VHS and cassette) after he died. I have a few on cd/dvd, but the majority is on the older formats, but I just can't bring myself to pitch them.

The GW 30th anniversary article mentions something I'd never heard before, and I've read quite a lot of the SRV material out there. It mentions that Reese was added after a failed attempt to add a rhythm guitarist and/or additional vocalist to Double Trouble. Can't help but wonder who that person or persons might have been.

Jimmy Vaughan had a pretty good gig going himself in those days with the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I would think Doyle Branhall would have been a consideration - he wrote or collaborated with SRV on several tunes.

W.C. Clark had played with SRV in Triple Threat - as well as Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli.

Who else? Anyone heard any more details on that over the years?

RIP Stevie!

Back