2012 Stripped 58 (Faded McCarty Burst)

I am unashamedly in this camp. I see the series of 24.5-24.594 scale nitro finished, 57/08 pup, singlecuts as heirs to the Les Pauls I love ... with PRS refinements added. Perhaps the same philosophy undergirding why I also like my Silver Sky as an 'improved' take on a 63 Strat.
I aquired my version of that last saturday with the McC smokeburst 2009 Nitro. I prefer the 25" scale over shorter scale, but she is very vintage!

The bridge and tailpiece on SC58/Stripped 58 are both plated aluminum. I like that. The successor iteration 594 uses plated zinc bridge and smaller brass saddles, but aluminum bridge. Interesting. Also, the 2011 Stripped has a six slot tailpiece. This 2012 has five slots, with the center slot being a double slot. 594 has a five slot, though looks a tad different than the 2012 iteration. Fascinating that PRS made this change. Not sure why.

By way of comparison, I liked this 2012 Stripper the best and those others are now gone.
My SC-58 is a 2012. My 594 is a 2016. The bridges on the two guitar look exactly the same. Mine both have the flatter saddles and 5 slot tail piece.

IMG_4568.jpeg

2012 Str 58

IMG_4587.jpeg

2022 594

Also, the 2011 Stripped has a six slot tailpiece. This 2012 has five slots, with the center slot being a double slot. 594 has a five slot, though looks a tad different than the 2012 iteration. Fascinating that PRS made this change. Not sure why.
The five slot tailpiece holds the strings much better during string changes. Paul might have had other reasons for the change but that's the biggest difference I've noticed.

The successor iteration 594 uses plated zinc bridge and smaller brass saddles, but aluminum bridge.
@Andrew Paul did a thread here including a video comparison of the different saddles a couple of years ago (coincidently using the same Stripped 58 that I have now) and found that sustain was better on it with the old style bridge with the bigger saddles than with the new style bridge.

Last edited:
My 2011 Stripped ‘58 is in my Avatar. Certainly one of my favorite guitars, and personally I really like the position layout of the volume & tone controls where the 2 Volume controls are closer to the player’s hand….. It just makes more sense to me (after playing LP’s for over 40 years before I made the switch). And those 57/08’s :)
I think that the 594 series were definitely aimed at the Gibson market and I really wish my DC594 had the control layout of the ST.58..

Last edited:
My 2011 Stripped ‘58 is in my Avatar. Certainly one of my favorite guitars, and personally I really like the position layout of the volume & tone controls where the 2 Volume controls are closer to the player’s hand….. It just makes more sense to me (after playing LP’s for over 40 years before I made the switch). And those 57/08’s :)
I think that the 594 series were definitely aimed at the Gibson market

Exactly!

I think that the 594 series were definitely aimed at the Gibson market and I really wish my DC594 had the control layout of the ST.58..
You could change the wiring on the 594 to have the volume and tone knobs where you want them. You obviously can't physically move the knobs since they are mounted in the guitar. I have thought more than once about rewiring my SC-58 to be like my Ted 245. The physical layout of the knobs doesn't affect me at all, in which I am surprised at that. It is how they are wired that bothers me. I like having the volumes toward the neck, not on top of each other. This is probably a LP hold over but I prefer my 594 and 245 over the way the SC-58 is wired.

You could change the wiring on the 594 to have the volume and tone knobs where you want them. You obviously can't physically move the knobs since they are mounted in the guitar. I have thought more than once about rewiring my SC-58 to be like my Ted 245. The physical layout of the knobs doesn't affect me at all, in which I am surprised at that. It is how they are wired that bothers me. I like having the volumes toward the neck, not on top of each other. This is probably a LP hold over but I prefer my 594 and 245 over the way the SC-58 is wired.
I'm about to swap the wiring on my last Les Paul in the stable. I have a pickup swap day coming up, and I play my SC58 and Tremonti so much these days it just makes more sense. Took me a minute to adjust at first, but now I prefer it.

Back