2010 Custom 22 10 top neck shape

philthomasp

Hi all,

I'm a lefty PRS player with Custom 22...and I have come to loath the neck shape on the guitar. Not that it is bad, because it isn't...but more because all my other guitars are more of a C shape or smaller and I find them much more comfortable to play.

That said, I find that I am at a crossroads with this particular guitar. Like I mentioned, I'm a lefty, with an actual PRS Custom 22 with a 10 top. These were hard to find, and now they are even more expensive than ever, which gives this one a particular value to me. On top of that, I absolutely love the look of the instrument. It's a thing of beauty, with great craftsmanship and I have no issues with it at all. Other than the neck shape.

So, my questions are:

- Is reshaping the neck a "safe" option? I see an added value to this as I would oil the neck for additional playability.
- Am I better of just selling it to maximize my return, as reshaping it will take off too much resale value on the instrument?

Although I have no intention to sell this guitar, it might be an option.

Constructive, open-minded opinions are absolutely welcome!

Be well!

You’re speaking very passionately about this Cu22. Never let a guitar you love go.
Selling a known keeper to look for an unknown? Nope.
Get the neck reshaped. Be happy.

I wouldn't reshape the neck. That will kill the value of the guitar. I have no idea how old you are or how long you have been playing but many players start to gravitate towards heavier necks as they age and play longer. I have seen more posts than I can count about guys getting hand cramps with thinner necks. Even if you decide that reshaping it is the right answer because you will never sell it, you may at some point wish it was back to the way it originally was because you are experiencing hand cramps.

Depending on how much wood is taken off it could also change the tone of the guitar to where you don't like it anymore. It could also cause some tuning instabilities. Again, this is dependant on how much wood it removed.

Back