1994 PRS CE 22 - Dragon 1 swap or sell

Evan_lonergan

Hey I’m new to this so hang with me here. I just picked up my first real PRS, a 1994 CE 22, that is all original. I traded my Les Paul Studio for it with the thought of getting a more of a Les Paul sound but with the feel of a strat. I was shocked as to how much I hate the Dragon 1 pickups.

I’m torn between swapping the pickups out and getting rid of the 5 way rotary switch or just trying to sell the guitar and try getting something closer to what I’m looking for.

I would hate to destroy any resale value of the guitar because I know the Dragon 1s are so sought after and something just doesn’t feel right messing with a guitar after it was left all original after almost 30 years.

Do I swap the pickups and make this a forever guitar or do I keep it all original and try to find someone who will appreciate the dragons?

Hey I’m new to this so hang with me here. I just picked up my first real PRS, a 1994 CE 22, that is all original. I traded my Les Paul Studio for it with the thought of getting a more of a Les Paul sound but with the feel of a strat. I was shocked as to how much I hate the Dragon 1 pickups.

I’m torn between swapping the pickups out and getting rid of the 5 way rotary switch or just trying to sell the guitar and try getting something closer to what I’m looking for.

I would hate to destroy any resale value of the guitar because I know the Dragon 1s are so sought after and something just doesn’t feel right messing with a guitar after it was left all original after almost 30 years.

Do I swap the pickups and make this a forever guitar or do I keep it all original and try to find someone who will appreciate the dragons?
I'd leave it stock and if it's not the right sounding guitar for you then sell it.

You'll get more for it stock.

Stock wiring and Dragon I's are what those of us who love 90's CE22's and 24's, and the Dragon I's, are looking for.

Most of us don't want to buy a hacked guitar with swapped pickups and the rotary switch removed unless it's priced low enough to be a steal.

Last edited:
I'd say: swap and keep the hardware. You can always restore to factory settings later id you decide to sell. I am no big fan of dragons or any higher output PUs for that matter, so I swapped out my fair share of older PRS PUs. Got rid of the HFS and VB, dragon IIs and stock P90s of my older McSoapy.

Replaced them with awesome aftermarket solutions and could not be happier.

I'd say: swap and keep the hardware. You can always restore to factory settings later id you decide to sell. I am no big fan of dragons or any higher output PUs for that matter, so I swapped out my fair share of older PRS PUs. Got rid of the HFS and VB, dragon IIs and stock P90s of my older McSoapy.

Replaced them with awesome aftermarket solutions and could not be happier.
Changing from a rotary switch to a 3 way switch requires enlarging the hole so the 3 way can pass through it.

Changing it back again takes some woodworking skill. A 1/2" plug has to made. Then the hole has to be plugged and then redrilled.

I'm not in favor of altering vintage guitars just to fullfill some kids fantasy of what it ought to sound like.

I've been that kid. I've done it. I regret ruining the guitars I've ruined.

It was always a mistake doing it to a nice USA made guitar.

Japanese Squiers? Korean SE's? Sure. Why not?

But not a '94 CE22.

Changing from a rotary switch to a 3 way switch requires enlarging the hole so the 3 way can pass through it.

Changing it back again takes some woodworking skill. A 1/2" plug has to made. Then the hole has to be plugged and then redrilled.

I'm not in favor of altering vintage guitars just to fullfill some kids fantasy of what it ought to sound like.

I've been that kid. I've done it. I regret ruining the guitars I've ruined.

It was always a mistake doing it to a nice USA made guitar.

Japanese Squiers? Korean SE's? Sure. Why not?

But not a '94 CE22.
I can see that, however not all 3 way switches are created equal. I modded my CE24 without drilling if I remember correctly.

I can see that, however not all 3 way switches are created equal. I modded my CE24 without drilling if I remember correctly.
A typical Gibson style 3 way requires 1/2" hole.

You're right though.

There's probably a 3 way mini switch that would work.

I think of a 90's PRS as being a classic guitar. I regret the mods I've made to classic guitars.

It’s a production guitar, not a painting by a dead artist. It exists to please you, in whatever form that takes.

Other than the pickups, do you like the guitar? That’s what should guide you.

You can swap pickups and change the controls without any permanent modification. If you still don’t like how it sounds, put it back to original and sell it.

If you’re not sure it’ll fit your needs even with changes, play other guitars until you find one that fits you. Buy it and sell the CE.

Don’t let other people’s opinions sway you from doing whatever you want with your stuff.

It’s a production guitar, not a painting by a dead artist. It exists to please you, in whatever form that takes.

Other than the pickups, do you like the guitar? That’s what should guide you.

You can swap pickups and change the controls without any permanent modification. If you still don’t like how it sounds, put it back to original and sell it.

If you’re not sure it’ll fit your needs even with changes, play other guitars until you find one that fits you. Buy it and sell the CE.

Don’t let other people’s opinions sway you from doing whatever you want with your stuff.
A real '59 Les Paul is also a "production" guitar.

I'd change the pickups on that if I didn't like them, too, and I'd save the originals just in case.

I understand the collector-must-be-original-fetish (though I kinda don't understand why people insist on that), but it's still an instrument for artistic expression. Might as well make it work for you.

Probably wouldn't do any drilling, though.

Last edited:

Comparing a CE22 that's worth about $1,500 to something that's truly rare and worth mid six figures isn't what we're talking about. A CE22 isn't some rare collector's piece. It's best not to pretend that it is or ever will be.

Play it, mod it, hang it on a wall, forget it under a bed, make it a restaurant decoration... It's someone else's guitar to do with as they like.

Same goes for a '59 Les Paul, in truth. These things aren't sacred.

Those guitars are now 30 years old and genuine vintage instruments.

Fine to modify an import SE.

But 30 year old CORE models ought to be kept stock.

Wonder if Paul would agree?

If it were Paul's guitar, then his opinion would matter. The OP's isn't mine, yours, or Paul's.

What is the point of a guitar, other than to be somehow useful to its owner?

If it were Paul's guitar, then his opinion would matter. The OP's isn't mine, yours, or Paul's.

What is the point of a guitar, other than to be somehow useful to its owner?
I can relate to this. If the PUs are not working for you, but the rest of the guitar is: i stand by my original point.

H

If you drop those Dragon 1's out of there, there'd be PLEEEENTY of folks around here willing to throw $$$ at you for them. Just make sure you try your new/replacement pickups first before selling, to be damn sure that it was indeed the pickups that you didn't like, and not something else. 'Cause good luck getting them back after you sell them.

Do I care if you modify your '94 CE with Dragon 1's? Nope, go right ahead. Do I also not care because I already have a factory-original '93 Custom with Dragon 1 pickups? Yup. Do I love mine exactly the way it is? I do, luckily. (But you know what they say about opinions.)

Back