1984 Pre Factory Curly Maple Top Santana!

Same price as this! :eek:
3fd3c885c4052028882142ca08dfb511.jpg
It’s funny, I’d spend that on the car without thinking twice, but never on a guitar.

I admit that the guitar is probably a better investment, and I even like guitars more than cars (hence several PS models), but...I dunno.

When it comes down to it, this stuff defies rational explanation. These are emotional choices, not choices where there’s a right or a wrong.

Beautiful guitar, though, and a nice piece of history.

It’s funny, I’d spend that on the car without thinking twice, but never on a guitar.

I admit that the guitar is probably a better investment, and I even like guitars more than cars (hence several PS models), but...I dunno.

When it comes down to it, this stuff defies rational explanation. These are emotional choices, not choices where there’s a right or a wrong.

Beautiful guitar, though, and a nice piece of history.
Yeah I’d struggle to lay $67k on even a 59 LP, cos current re-issues more than do it for me. But I agree, the history is great on this one!

Yeah I’d struggle to lay $67k on even a 59 LP, cos current re-issues more than do it for me. But I agree, the history is great on this one!

Maybe that’s the thing...the current guitars (especially PS) do it for me, too. So I don’t feel that sense of ‘OMG, I want that’! I look at it and think, ‘Cool!’, but don’t get the ‘shakes’ over it.

Each of us has our weakness when it comes to the wallet, and probably a lot of players would think I’m nuts to get a few PS models, since the Cores are so good.

With cars, if it’s a good one and I need a car, heck, just take my wallet. ;)

Each of us has our weakness when it comes to the wallet, and probably a lot of players would think I’m nuts to get a few PS models, since the Cores are so good.

With cars, if it’s a good one and I need a car, heck, just take my wallet. ;)

The thought of buying a new car sends me into a panic, I’m just not a car guy. In fact, my dream car is whatever the chauffeur is driving.

That guitar on the other hand.... if I had about $456,000 in the bank, I’d buy it so fast it’d make your head spin. Which is exactly why I’m not better off financially . :oops:

The thought of buying a new car sends me into a panic, I’m just not a car guy. In fact, my dream car is whatever the chauffeur is driving.

That guitar on the other hand.... if I had about $456,000 in the bank, I’d buy it so fast it’d make your head spin. Which is exactly why I’m not better off financially . :oops:

I bought a Tom Petty Rickenbacker Limited Edition back in the day, new. I forgot what I paid for it exactly, but I sold it to a buddy for $2500, though it was a great guitar they made only 100 of, and bought another PRS.

Today the TP Rick is going for $6,000, used on Reverb. I no longer have that PRS, but it was an Artist Package CU22, (at the time still under 3 grand) but today might be worth only what - $2000-ish max?

I also passed on a ‘53 Gold Top for $3500 in the early 90s (!).

I lack any feel for this stuff whatsoever. I have two Ltd. Edition PS guitars that had runs of 60. I’ll never live long enough to see them worth more than I paid for them, but maybe my kids will score big. [shrug]

Les, the next time you see an original '59LP for $67K would you please contact me? (and I agree, the current reissues are really good).

Last edited:
Back