Your thoughts on CE22?

alphasports

Howdy all,

Currently selling my mint SE CU24 7-string and have a trade offer for a CE22 (in blue matteo which I don't mind). Still waiting on deets on the CE like year, etc. Guy is asking $1200, says it's been rode hard but plays great. Pics are a bit fuzzy so it's hard to tell the real condition and I'm not a fan of buying someone else's scratches and dents. His has a pup selector switch as opposed to the rotary dial...does this make it older or newer? I'm assuming older.

In general it might be an interesting upgrade if I can limit the top-up $$$ to $500-600 but not sure. In general I prefer the set neck models over the bolt-ons but if this guitar has good reviews I might consider if you all authorize me to do so ;)

Not an expert on CE, but the rotary switch has pretty much been around forever. I thought the older ones came with the rotary and the 3 way toggle became an option later? I pic of the serial # on the back of the headstock is the best indicator. Then you can go here:
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html

Don't be afraid of the bolt on neck. CE's are superb guitars. The 3 way is probably a change by a previous owner, but one that many do. If it is a first or second year (88-89) then it would have the 3 way toggle. The first digit of the number on the neck plate is the year.

Last edited:
I love my CE22 I'm never getting rid of it. Only thing I'm thinking of changing is the Dragon ii pick ups, there is nothing wrong with them they sound great, I just fancy something more aggressive as I play a lot of hard rock and metal.

An SE for a CE sounds like a pretty great trade off in your favor actually. I'm more of a rotary guy over the toggle so asking if the person switched the guitar from one to the other would be what I would ask, aside from actually seeing/playing it in person.

Thanks for the replies, turns out it's an '05 that the owner himself describes as "roadworn 7/10", which of course is used-guitar speak for 4.5/10. I think I'll pass this time around as he wants $700 or so on top of my minty SE CU24-7 that I'm selling for $450. Would rather sell my SE and add 1000-1200 and get something nice.

Cheers

Yep, too much $$$ for "rode hard and put away wet".

Back