Your opinion…

Do you think learning scales and modes is beneficial or overrated?

• Beneficial

Votes: 34 89.5%
  • Overrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huh???

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
Very astute observation and well said. My voice background helps me recognize (if not immediately differentiate) different modes, boxes and variations, but my piano and horn based brain often refuses to adapt quickly to changes and shifts. Keys are much more absolute in comparison so it does give me fits at times. I'm getting better, but sure as H.E double hockey sticks ain't getting any younger. Practice is paramount for this aged adolescent I'm afraid.
Daryl,
There used to be a music-related instructional website that would help you learn how certain scales and modes sounded (it provided ear-training). If I can locate that site again, a link will be posted. It was valuable in the sense that it trained your ear to hear how various scales sounded compared to others. It was designed to help you recognize what notes created dissonance and consonance (i.e. resolved notes).

EDIT: Mac users can find Politonius 1 & 2 apps on the App Store for $6 each. One app teaches about intervals, triads and 7ths, whereas the 2nd app teaches scales and modes. Interesting teaching methods, not sure they would hold my attention adequately...

Last edited:
Back