Music Nomad vs. StewMac nut files....

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
StewMac's files are overpriced and what they charge for shipping is exorbitant...but some think they're worth it.

The Nomads are said to give more bang for the buck, but are not quite as high a quality as StewMac's.

I need a good set, but I won't be around for another 25 or 30 years, and don't need a set that'll last me 25 or 30 years...like my last set of nut files did. Don't even remember where I bought them!

Those of you who "roll your own" (meaning you do your own guitar work) : what nut files do you use and recommend?

Last edited:
Not sure about nut files but Stew recently reduced the prices of a lot of their tools some of them dramatically! That being said I actually prefer the Music nomad nut files for my occasionally tweaking, the smaller size and built in handle make them easy to hold and help me produce accurate cuts.

Not sure about nut files but Stew recently reduced the prices of a lot of their tools some of them dramatically! That being said I actually prefer the Music nomad nut files for my occasionally tweaking, the smaller size and built in handle make them easy to hold and help me produce accurate cuts.
I'm leaning towards the Nomads. They'll probably outlast me!

I Have The Stew Mac Tools And Like Them. I Got Them On A Free Shipping Promo A Few Years Ago. I Agree Their Retail Costs And Shipping Are Ridiculous But They Have Sales Now And Again And That Is When I Get Stuff From Them.

I can't even remember the brand of the files I have or where I bought them. They have lasted me a very long time. I am not making new nuts every week either so they are not getting a lot of use other than a tune up here and there when needed.

I can't even remember the brand of the files I have or where I bought them. They have lasted me a very long time. I am not making new nuts every week either so they are not getting a lot of use other than a tune up here and there when needed.
Same here. I don't do it for a living. I do it because I can and because I'll spend the extra time getting it "just right".

I use the Hosco red handle nut files. You can get a set of 11 on ebay for about $100. Link to Hosco files here

When I did my research on nut files, I concluded all of the worthwhile sets cost between $80 and $100. Anything cheaper didn't look adequate for a job well done. I settled on the Hosco set because I work with several different string gauges and their set covered all the gauges I need (or close enough).

The other set that I was considering was the Hiroshima or Uo-Chikyu files. A little cheaper, but I really wanted the 50 gauge file from the Hosco set. If you don't use 50 gauge strings, this set might be a good fit (I use a 50 for my low E in standard tuning). Link to Hiroshima files here

I use nomads. Works great for me. And easy and cheap enough for me replace from Amazon should they get dull. The grip/handle is very nice. I too thought about stew Mac’s set but the cost was too high for my liking and random usage

I use nomads. Works great for me. And easy and cheap enough for me replace from Amazon should they get dull. The grip/handle is very nice. I too thought about stew Mac’s set but the cost was too high for my liking and random usage
I think they'll be just fine! Reviews are very good.

Back