You know you're getting old when...

As for the Stones, I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in '89 (Living Colour opened), and the Bridges To Babylon tour in '98 (Buddy Guy opened). I'd love to see them again, but I refuse to go to a concert at Soldier Field.
Ok, I'm not trying to start trouble. I know you like the stones and all, but Living Colour probably blew them not only off the stage but several galaxies away. I have been trying for years to see Living Colour and they just haven't been in my area any time when I could go.

Ok, I'm not trying to start trouble. I know you like the stones and all, but Living Colour probably blew them not only off the stage but several galaxies away. I have been trying for years to see Living Colour and they just haven't been in my area any time when I could go.
I would say, at the time, I was more excited to see Living Colour. I will admit, I like the Stones, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.

Now, just to rub it in, I saw Living Colour again on their Vivid Tour, in 1991. Little ballroom in Davenport, IA. maybe 1,000 people. Urban Dance Squad opened for them.

69 years old here. My answer to the old age blues is to exercise every day. I mostly do cycling and have worked my way up to 11 miles per day and steadily losing calories. The exercise gets rid of a lot of aches and pains. Being retired since 65 I have the time and motivation to exercise-oh and play guitar! :)
Same here! I'm on my treadmill at least 5 times a week. When I retired in March of 2020 I weighed 195 pounds. As of this morning I'm at 163 pounds! Yup, we gotta keep moving when we get older. I know a few folks my age and a bit younger who don't keep moving and they're starting to pay the price.

Playing guitar.....YES!!! I just bought a Spark Mini amp a few days ago and I am loving this little things. Spent hours the last few days jamming along with some of the jam tracks they have! This is really going to help me.

Same here! I'm on my treadmill at least 5 times a week. When I retired in March of 2020 I weighed 195 pounds. As of this morning I'm at 163 pounds! Yup, we gotta keep moving when we get older. I know a few folks my age and a bit younger who don't keep moving and they're starting to pay the price.

Playing guitar.....YES!!! I just bought a Spark Mini amp a few days ago and I am loving this little things. Spent hours the last few days jamming along with some of the jam tracks they have! This is really going to help me.

I think the secret to exercise is to develop it into a habit. Them you don't have to think about it. Both my parents developed dementia at end of life, and I'm determined to outlive them and have a sharp mind til the end. (Dad=77yo; Mom 97yo)

I'm excited to know what guitars PRS will be making in 2050!

Doug

I have GREAT stories !
I have some great stories too.
Some of those must be OK for public consumption!

One of mine is about a 4" scar above my Left knee and usually the chain saw tale (I was holding the wood but the saw hit a knot & kicked up, chewed thru skin but stopped after giving a great view of the intact quadriceps) beats the stories behind other guys' scars.
However, a guy at our club had a 1' C-shaped scar on his chest so I asked him about it. We agreed that shark trumps chain saw.

Last edited:
Some of those must be OK for public consumption!

One of mine is about a 4" scar above my Left knee and usually the chain saw tale (I wasn't even holding the chain saw and it only chewed thru skin) beats the stories behind other guys' scars.
However, a guy at our club had a 1' C-shaped scar on his chest so I asked him about it. We agreed that shark trumps chain saw.

I had quadruple bypass heart surgery about 12 years ago and they used an artery from my left arm as part of the operation. It left a 12" scar on the underside of the arm. When I get horrified looks from people, I just explain it was a scar I got in a knife fight-and you should see the other guy! They believe me until I start laughing .

Doug

...you get an email about eligibility for Early Bird Rolling Stones tickets.

...from AARP
geezer.gif
Got mine the other day - WITH my AARP invitation to join. My wife poked fun at me all night....

I don't even like the Stones!

The exciting announcement I got was Blind Guardian and Night DEMON are going on tour!!

In LA the second warm up band was Guns N' Roses. Great show, when Mick still had it, though we went the night before Clapton joined them.

Lots of sellouts, including four nights at the LA Coliseum, prompting this Forbes cover:
Screenshot-2023-11-27-at-4-04-51-PM.png

….when you zoom into a photo, check out the address label on a 40 year old copy of Forbes and say “who the heck is Tony Williams?!”

69 years old here. My answer to the old age blues is to exercise every day. I mostly do cycling and have worked my way up to 11 miles per day and steadily losing calories. The exercise gets rid of a lot of aches and pains. Being retired since 65 I have the time and motivation to exercise-oh and play guitar! :)
Similar situation and I agree 100%.

I was diagnosed with OA when I was about about 58. I had to quit playing hockey and I reacted poorly. I moped around for a few years, doing no exercise, going to Starbucks twice a day, pounding back the Mochas and Lemon Loaf like there was no tomorrow. I allowed myself to put on a fair amount of weight (gained 40lbs) and allowed my muscles to become loose and atrophied. One day after I retired I got fed up with feeling and looking like sh*t and started hiking and lifting weights. I am fortunate to have a great hiking park just minutes from my house.

Now I hike 10k every morning and do between two and eight sets of my 6 exercise dumbbell workout daily. Now it is as much of a daily routine as brushing my teeth or playing guitar. Developing good habits is something I learned way too late in life. I was way better at developing bad ones.

Been at it for a few years now. I feel and look much better and younger @ < 20% body fat....trying to get to 15%...we'll see. Even though I still go to Starbucks twice a day...I don't order lemon loaf. :)

Back