Do you name your guitars?

I tried it once, but the darned thing never came when I called out it's name, always had to go over and yank it out of the case myself, so I gave up.
Instruments are a lot like cats. It's rare that they deign to cooperate. Musicians throughout history have known this. It's why they had to invent 'practicing'.

On the other hand, I'm deathly allergic to cats.

I haven't mentioned this before, but I'm also allergic to practicing,

Yes, it's true! I have to get all hopped up on Claritin merely to survive a practice session.

You know how some folks say, "Play the snot out of that thing," when you get a new guitar? Well, it's not the guitar's snot, it's my snot. At least when I practice. But do not worry, people, because the Claritin ensures that I don't cover the guitars with sneeze-snot when I play.

Otherwise I'd have to wear a surgical mask, or better yet, make a Guitar Sneeze Guard, like you find at restaurants with buffets. Pretty sure I could make one with a harmonica holder and some plexiglass, but wouldn't that be a fine kettle of fish to have to deal with just to play?

I agree, it would not.

It's bad enough I'm old enough to need a drool cup to protect the guitars. Makes my adult diaper feel itchy just thinking about this whole allergy thing. A sneeze guard would be a bridge too far.

A man has to draw the line somewhere, and I'm drawing it at Wearable Sneeze Guard.

I gave my McCarty Singlecut the nom de plume 'The Hammer Of The Gods', but only for this forum - just as a fun thing, here at Studio Craptastic it's just 'The McCarty Singlecut'.

Nonetheless, after 32 years of working by myself as a composer in a studio in a basement, I've gone mad as a hatter. This is probably not news to you.

So what if I sometimes talk to my gear? Yes, of course I know the gear is inanimate; I do it anyway. I converse with it telepathically.

Oh, I'm not a believer in telephathy. But there's really not much point in having a discussion with the gear out loud, is there? The gear can't hear me. Might as well converse with it telepathically.

This is called anthropomorphism. It's also called "Laz is a little off-kilter isn't he?"

Even though the gear doesn't have feelings, I like to think the gear has feelings. I like to think if I'm nice to the gear, the gear will be nice to me.

So there are times I'll walk into the studio, turn on the lights and think something like, "Morning everyone, it's time to play!" I might think to the guitars I'm not playing that day, "Don't worry, I'll be back for you soon enough."

It doesn't matter if all this telepathy I engage in can't possibly work. I guess I think of this nonsense the way I think about talent:

I like to think I have some.

Doesn't matter if I do or not as long as the work product makes other people think it.

And therein lies the mystery of how I compose. I think I'm a composer, I act like a composer, I work like a composer, I write music like a composer. So I'm a composer. Talent doesn't really play a role, it's just a placeholder substitute for all the hard work one does.
#WIZARD…Never Forget:p:D

They are as follows:

Why the hell did I buy this? #1
Why the hell did I buy this? #2
Why the hell did I buy this? #3
Why the hell did I buy this? #4
Why the hell did I buy this? #5
Why the hell did I buy this? #6
Why the hell did I buy this? #7

Amps, pedals, and everything in between similarly named albeit they have more colorful middle names....

Back