Do you name your guitars?

Jim Elston

I always seem to name my guitars and wondered if others do. My SE Santana is 'Mrs Robinson' as I bought it when I graduated, My gold coloured strat is called Autumn, because AU is the chemical symbol for gold and guess what time of year I bough it, I have a single cut with an inlaid top, which is affectionately known as 'The Pearly Queen' my Ibanez 335 alike is Ruby and lastly my Epiphone Hummingbird is simply Big Bird...What do you call yours??

I name them after the people who kindly left me some money to do something sensible with and I ended up buying guitars.

Mine are:
Bruce - Cu22,
Vera - Cu24SE,
Buddy- HB2 SE Piezo,
Bill - Faith Neptune Legacy Acoustic.

Plus a couple of odd ones out:
Powder Mountain - G&L Legacy - (had to go to the USA (I’m from the UK) to collect the eBay purchase so I went skiing as well!) Manatee - Washburn MG90 (was in the Florida Keys and saw a guitar shop, whilst I was buying the guitar (absolute bargain) my family were being entertained by manatees while swimming off the beach at the hotel.
That’s what they are so hard to part with! They are all personalities in their own right!

No. Just not a thing for me to name anything, really. Not cars, guitars, or boats.

I did have one car that was given a name, but not by me: my girlfriend (at the time) named my black 2002 Acura RSX "Black Widow".

That's not how it works.
This is what actually happens.

You cross paths with some guitars.
Sometimes one of them picks you.
You go home with it.
You play it for an unspecified amount of time.
Sometimes years or decades.
Sometimes it tells you its name.
Sometimes not.
I like that!

That's not how it works.
This is what actually happens.

You cross paths with some guitars.
Sometimes one of them picks you.
You go home with it.
You play it for an unspecified amount of time.
Sometimes years or decades.
Sometimes it tells you its name.
Sometimes not.
All of mine must be married to other guitar players. They just keep calling out to me for attention and me putting my hands all over them but they don't want names involved. I am now betting that is so I can't identify them to anyone else.

All my guitars are different models so I just refer to them by their Model name - like Special, 594 etc.

If I had multiples of one model - especially in the same colour, I could see a reason to name them - just to differentiate them for Communication purposes. However, as each is different, if I say I'm playing '594' or 'Special' needs their Strings changing for example, its obvious which guitar I'm referring to so never felt the need to give them a name...

I Usually Don't Name Mine But There Are A Few That I Have Named Over Time For Various Reasons. In My Case (No Pun Intended) It Was Something That Came About Over Time, Events And Circumstance. Those Few Guitars I Hold Dear And Close To My Heart Because Of It. They Are Lifer's Even If They Aren't My Best Players... In Time They Reveal Their Soul, Their Stories And I Connect On A Bit Of A Different Level Than I Do With All The Others.

Back