You know you're getting old when...

FragileThunder

The Space Between The Notes
...you get an email about eligibility for Early Bird Rolling Stones tickets.

...from AARP
geezer.gif

I remember early on in the Beatles' first tour of the US, Ringo answered a question about what he planned to do after rock and roll when he reached 30 (or 40, can't remember), since it was generally assumed that both Beatles and rock and roll would be a short ride.

Ringo said he wanted to open a hair salon.

Where that came from I have no idea, maybe he meant it as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the thing about the Beatles' long hair.

But the point is, yeah. Longevity.

However, my daughter is ordering tickets, and also saw Paul McCartney on his last tour.

Just goes to show the enduring quality of some of the old-school bands!

I'd gladly see Sir Paul or the Stones over about 97% of the touring acts out there today.

I do sometimes worry that the Stones longevity has diminished their impact. They (largely undeservingly so, IMO) have become a running joke for so many people who aren't old enough to have listened to them before the band themselves got "old". Steel Wheelchairs and all that. The Beatles are insulated because they are gone, their greatness held behind glass. The Stones are often treated as a caricature of themselves. I say listen up whipper snappers, go put on everything from Beggar's through Exile and tell me this band ain't got no heart. ;)

You know you're getting old when . . . most conversations devolve into medical issues and prescription drugs!

I think the new Stones album is TITS!!! Been playing "Angry" in my practice sets and loving it ;~)) I got to "work" the Steel Wheels tour when it came around to my home town back in the day. I had 1 hour notice and raced to the venue. Nothing for me to do before show, they let me stand at side of stage during show and after show, I folded a tarp (HUUUUUGE tarp) for about 10 minutes and then they said "You can go". They gave me my $50 and away I went with my back stage pass! The boys were about 15 feet away when they walked by us at one point back stage! Great experience ;~))

Now about my current pharmaceutical's . . .

However, my daughter is ordering tickets, and also saw Paul McCartney on his last tour.

Just goes to show the enduring quality of some of the old-school bands!
I took the Mrs to see Paul on his 2017 tour. Wasn't sure how many more chances we would have to finally see him. I splurged for a VIP package. Ended up with 5th center seats, right in front of Paul. That is easily the most I have ever spent on concert tickets, but well worth it. Three plus hours of great music, with no break! Pretty good for a guy in his mid 70s (at that time).

As for the Stones, I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in '89 (Living Colour opened), and the Bridges To Babylon tour in '98 (Buddy Guy opened). I'd love to see them again, but I refuse to go to a concert at Soldier Field.

As for the Stones, I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in '89 (Living Colour opened)
In LA the second warm up band was Guns N' Roses. Great show, when Mick still had it, though we went the night before Clapton joined them.

Lots of sellouts, including four nights at the LA Coliseum, prompting this Forbes cover:
Screenshot-2023-11-27-at-4-04-51-PM.png

In general, you know you're getting old when you look in the mirror, wonder what the hell happened, and say to yourself, "That happened too fast."
I hear you loud and clear on that one. I turned 70 this year. The thought of now being 70 doesn't bother me one bit. But I get a moment of pause when I think how fast 70 years went by. But I'm feeling pretty good and doing my best to stay in shape.

You also know when you're getting older when you notice how much hair you've lost and it's not bothering you one bit!

I hear you loud and clear on that one. I turned 70 this year. The thought of now being 70 doesn't bother me one bit. But I get a moment of pause when I think how fast 70 years went by. But I'm feeling pretty good and doing my best to stay in shape.

You also know when you're getting older when you notice how much hair you've lost and it's not bothering you one bit!

69 years old here. My answer to the old age blues is to exercise every day. I mostly do cycling and have worked my way up to 11 miles per day and steadily losing calories. The exercise gets rid of a lot of aches and pains. Being retired since 65 I have the time and motivation to exercise-oh and play guitar! :)

I'm pushing 69 .. but it's all the injuries ( 32 broken bones) that make me feel ancient in the morning especially .. I had some severe GI issues ( resulting in temporary acute kidney failure) so it's more than just age .. it's the miles.

Kind of like the case queen vs the beater that's seen a thousand gigs .. I ain't much to look at , but I have GREAT stories !

I ain't even as good once as I ever was .. as the song goes .. but I"m still playing live every week, so damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!

I'm pushing 69 .. but it's all the injuries ( 32 broken bones) that make me feel ancient in the morning especially .. I had some severe GI issues ( resulting in temporary acute kidney failure) so it's more than just age .. it's the miles.

Kind of like the case queen vs the beater that's seen a thousand gigs .. I ain't much to look at , but I have GREAT stories !

I ain't even as good once as I ever was .. as the song goes .. but I"m still playing live every week, so damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!
I have some great stories too. If I could remember them!

Back