You Can Pick Your Friends, You Can Pick Your Nose

Discussion in 'Studio & Stage' started by alantig, Nov 16, 2013.

1. alantig

alantig SSBMA

But a really good friend can pick...no, wait, that's not it.

We've had pick discussions before, and various factions of us have talked about tone differences with different picks. I've noticed differences in feel, in attack. But I can't say that I'd ever really noticed a tonal difference.

Until this week.

I was recording an acoustic part for a backing track that my mother will use to play in church (yeah, me - and strangely enough, she's never reported smoke or disembodied screams when she uses any of these tracks). Tried a new mic technique similar to the one that Les discussed - ribbon mic up high, and a large diaphragm condenser on the body. Got a decent sound, but it didn't quite have the high-end bite that I was looking for. Granted, I'm using a dreadnought, but I was looking for a little more brightness. And then it hit me - try a different pick. So I went through a couple - got a little more bite or sharpness, but not the high end. Then I remembered I had one of these.

[​IMG]

Dug it out of one of the tins I keep picks in. Sure enough, it brightened things up considerably.

Maybe there's something to this tone thing after all...

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Picks do make a difference!

3. geese_com

geese_com New Member

Paging JFB.