Wudtone trem upgrade.

evan47

Thinking of the Wudtone tremelo upgrade for my 2007 custom 22.
Has anyone tried one and what difference did it make?
Is it worth fitting or best to leave things as they are?

I was considering that and the Babicz on my S2 too. I didn't because it takes away the PRS look. I opted for the Mann, and I am happy! The build quality is incredible. It sounds awesome too compared to the stock import.

Last edited:
I was considering that and the Babicz on my S2 too. I didn't because it takes away the PRS look. I opted for the Mann, and I am happy! The build quality is incredible. It sounds awesome too compared to the stock import.
Just how much of a change to your sound did you get with the Mann unit? To me it seems to be not unlike the PRS tremelo unit.

Just how much of a change to your sound did you get with the Mann unit? To me it seems to be not unlike the PRS tremelo unit.

The Mann is the original PRS trem. He designed, and built it. The Mann is a one piece brass unit. The PRS is now a two piece unit.

Had a look at the website and it states that it is bronze.
Seems like a slightly unusual choice of material, there should be a good reason for it.
How much of a change does it make to the tone and sustain of your PRS?

I would say a little better sustain and note clarity. It's really noticeable if you're upgrading the import parts on an SE or S2 or newer CE.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 custom 22.
Its trem has a brass block.
I'd likely leave it alone. I haven't felt the need to replace a Core trem. If I did, I would do the Mann. I'm sure the Wudtone is good, but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade over the Core version. I do think the Wudtone would impact the tone, though. Not necessarily better. Just different.

Last edited:
My main guitar for years has been a core SC Trem. I picked up a 2003 Custom 22 at a great price a few months ago. Even after installing my go to Suhr Thornbucker pickups in the 22, I just didn't dig the tone. It sounded wooly and not really a rock tone, sort of just felt it was a fusion guitar. So, looking at options to solve this, I bought the Wudtone bridge with the steel block. As expected, it sounds more like a hardtail; more frequencies coming through and more bite. I'm really happy with it. Regarding set-up, I went down to 2 springs and screwed the claw all the way into the body. Using 9.5 strings and 440 tuning, its the perfect float. Full-step up pull and full dive down. Tuning is stable and the feel is almost identical to the original bridge. Wudtone is a nice bridge, very well made. The only caveat is that its a screw-in arm but being that the block and arm are both solid steel it likely won't get wigly over time like a mixed metal cheapo deal. I also like the flat top on the bridge as it doesn't limit your saddle choices like the framed PRS bridge. I would say if you give it a shot, go for the steel block, it sounds great but you may need to roll off your tone knob a bit at times.

Back