wraparound bridge issue fixed/SE standard 245 discussion

Kabukiman

Entry level PRS owner
Gday fellas

You may recall I had some queries about my standard 245 and the tailpiece/bridge. It's the solid piece wraparound. And you may recall I opted to try the Tonepros locking studs

Well I installed them today - quite a difference in tone and resonance and it fixed the high E sitar noise on all the fretted notes - some of the issue on an open string turned out to be a dud nut slot so I had to cut the slot down a bit but now all is well.

I can now happily recommend these studs to any SE owner whose bridge leans. Thanks to those who gave feedback on them

I do find them a little fiddly to install and set up, but I guess once it is done, it's done and I don't have to touch them again! I know a lot of folk don't like these bridges but now the lean is gone i really, really dig the simplicity, the aesthetic, and the feel under my hand.

I don't know if you can tell from these photos but the studs and locking tops themselves are much smaller than the factory ones (both the contact area and the tops)

I read on the net the tops are easy to snap off if you over tighten them, so mine are hand tightened with a tiny bit of string tension on the bridge, so it sill has a tiny, tiny bit of room and I can slide the tailpiece out if I need to, but there is no longer a lean (and tight enough the bridge doesn't just drop off without tension)

I have had this guitar for a little while now and it continues to impress, aside from a few little hiccups like the above. that's a before and after - the store I bought it from doesn't look after guitars very well, so it's had a good clean, fret polish, oiled board, etc as well as the studs and a good setup (this was the quickest guitar to set up I have ever owned btw)

That's a sharp lookin' guitar. Is it a Standard?

Yes. Excellent guitars. Indonesia are churning out some great stuff (ibanez premium anyone? )

I don't know if it is just me but these seem to have larger frets than regular SE and a slightly different neck profile. I like.

I said previously alsp that the prs SE pickups are really good and I have decided to keep them.

Back