Wooden plectrums?

Hopeful Sinner

Angry Southern Gentleman
I just got some ebony and rosewood picks and wondered if anyone else here has any experience with wooden guitar picks?

So far, I'm digging the rosewood with my acoustic and prefer the ebony with my electric guitars. The rosewood seems to give me a nice warm tone on the acoustic. Also seems to have a softer touch, barely any noticeable pick noise... The ebony is harder and feels more "polished". The only difference I'm noticing with it versus the Ultex ones I've been using is the notes ring off the pick a little clearer. They sound a bit more deliberate, if that makes any sense...

I have a few wooden plectrums ; they do look great but i don't use them with electric guitars.Too big,too stiff.Not really usable for me.

Jon...my wife handed me the package on my way out the door to the office so I haven't had a chance to try them yet but thank you! They are seriously cool...similar size to the Big Stubbies I use...can't wait to try them both tonight! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness...I'll give a tone report once I spend some time with them!

Glad they got there and I hope you dig 'em Bob!

Ok...so I after I spent some time playing with the picks Jon sent my way I can say that I fell In love with the rosewood one...it is warm with a very natural attack...the pick translates vibrations to your picking hand very well...it's almost an organic connection...lovely bloom and harmonic content...definitely has a bit more drag than the ebony in a good way....added to the warmth...Jon I'm sorry to say but I've all but killed the pick...already wore it down quite a bit...I'm gonna have to get more of them...definitely worth it.

really cool experience overall...and one that may make me switch over to rosewood picks permanently...so thank you Jon!!! Picks are one of those things that are often overlooked by guitar players...if you haven't switched the kind you use in awhile...it might be worth a shot...it makes such a huge impact one tone....

thanks again Jon!

You are most welcome! Looks like we had pretty much the same experience with the picks. The Rosewood were nice, smooth and warm tone wise and the ebony was much more rigid and probably good for a super accurate pick attack. Maybe perfect for a shred kinda player...

Did you get the link to the store for buying more? It's a fantastic deal all things considered... Most other places were selling them for about $5 each, so to get 10 for $15 is fantastic...

I think I'm long overdue to report on the picks Jon sent me: a rosewood and an ebony. As I recall his generous deal was he sends picks and I tell what I think of them.
Just for background, I play with just my fingers a lot. When I play with a pick I usually use a medium guage and play with one of the rounded corners - never the pointy corner (years ago I experimented a lot and that's where I ended up.

I really like the feel of the wooden picks, but found I pretty much have to play with the pointy end. That isn't a problem because these really are a very different beast. The picks are nice and thick and meaty. I expected them to be close to a super heavy pick, but they don't have that hard character at all. The wood really does change the feel and sound of the attack. I really like the ebony, and after 6-8 weeks that is the one I am most likely to pick up. I can't really describe the tone but it somehow strikes me as having more of the quality of a well built musical instrument than a pick - I know, not very helpful.

I decided that I favoured a regular pick if I was doing strumming type rhythm playing - I'm not sure why, but maybe because the wooden pick articulates the individual strings a bit more than I like in that situation. I'm also less likely to use the wooden pick playing lead on an electric. This is because my 'style' (in quotes because it is a bit of an overstatement) is to use the flexibility of the pick to flavour and separate the notes. Where the wooden pick really shines for me is playing lead on an acoustic guitar - my Englmann in particular loves the ebony pick.

So thank you Jon for encouraging an interesting experiment, which I am likely to continue with some other picks.

Peter R.

Last edited:
Who sells them in North America ? Quite interested in trying them

Nice review Peter....it's interesting how each individual approaches picking in their own way....I typically use 3mm stubbies with no flex...if a pick has too much flex I can get lost really quickly. I occasionally incorporate the ebony and the rosewood I have on hand...this thread reminded me that I have to place an order.
Those 3mm are on my list to try.
The next time we are in the same place I'll play something I like that I can't imagine playing with a rigid pick.

Just ordered some today.....kind of excited to try them. I have as slight OCD when it comes to picks lol

I've used wood in the past and liked it. I just lost them over the years. I do want to try out the new tusq picks by graphtech.

Back